Your opinion (Read 770 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Small 5k race that charges a premium for registration, in part to offset the cost of both the martinis they serve after and the prize money for the few elites they recruit to run. The course is miserably marked and the two lead women miss the major turn and end up adding nearly a half-mile. One recovers and ends up winning, but a good few minutes off her potential, while the other (putting out a 5k effort, not a 6k effort) does not have enough left and comes in 5th (no prize). Who is at fault? The race for not marking? The runners for not knowing the course and paying attention to street signs? Both these women were from another town. MTA: here is the discussion (feel free to jump in) - http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/timrock/vpost?id=2181795
      Who is at fault? The race for not marking?
      I've got to hold the organizer responsible for this, it's just TOO easy to prevent. I've never experienced it myself, but I could because on an unfamiliar course I'm usually a lemming in running shoes. If half a dozen runners ahead of me missed a turn I'd probably go right along with them.

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Scout7

I'm going to go with the race on this one. If you cannot get enough volunteers to man the turns and other critical points, then you need to provide ample markings. If the issue were that there had been signs up, but someone screwed with them (I have seen this happen, it sucks), then I wouldn't really blame the race. But as you stated, the course is poorly marked as it is. There is no reason for a poorly marked road race, ESPECIALLY a 5k.

Go Pre!

Absolutely the Organizers.
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I just learned that acording to USATF rule 243, the course will be marked and monitors will be provided whenever there is a change of direction. So it is not up to the runner to know the course. It is the RD that takes all the blame now.
              I ran the Cinco De Mayo Party Run... the same thing happened to I believe it was Keith Kimmons (??). Anyway, by the time I was finishing everyone knew where to go. But the margaritas barely had any alcohol in them and they ran out of food...the good stuff anyway Wink That said, I would probably run one again because I don't really care about food or alcohol and i'm not fast enough to go the wrong way... But I do agree they're not the best organized and the RD shouldn't blame the runners.

As a race director, I can say that it is the race director's fault. Granted, my race is really easy to stay on course; you find the start line, you run straight for a mile, you stop, and every intersection is barricaded with volunteers to keep traffic from bugging you and cheer you on. But still, if anybody got lost on my course, it would either be my fault or it would take some special kind of stupid. Which would still be my fault. So there's my opinion.

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Perhaps the RD should have waited until after the race was finished to indulge in the martinis... Clowning around

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

The voice of mile 18

when running is your job it's your responsiblity. but also everyone should know the course and pay attention at the pre-race anouncements for any last minute changes.

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

In all seriousness, a 5k is such a short high-intensity race that it's hard for the runners do much else than run and follow the course markings / monitors. I know when I race a 5k, I'm just trying to keep my lunch down -- I'm not in a position to be thinking, "gee, do I turn on 4th Street or 3rd Street?" A runner should know the course, but the rule about having monitors at the turn is not only a rule, it's common sense. I would hold the RD responsible in this case, but I'm not sure what the best recourse would be for the runners who ran too far.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I'm not fast enough
                        Um, 3:30 yassos? Yes. You are fast enough. You just have to learn to use the Force.
                          Perhaps the RD should have waited until after the race was finished to indulge in the martinis... Clowning around
                          Haha Big grin
                          ---- Cynthia
                            I ran a small 5k this summer that had a similar problem. Though in this race, the volunteers were actually pointing runners in the wrong direction. It added a good half mile to the course. My biggest problem was near the finish, they started directing runners into the shoot prior to a final out and back loop (about a half mile)...to make up for the mistake I assume. Unfortunetly the top 20-30 runners weren't directed to this early finish, while the rest of the pack was. It really messed up the placing. I've gotta blame the RD...they should ensure the course is accurate and well-marked.
                              Um, 3:30 yassos? Yes. You are fast enough. You just have to learn to use the Force.
                              The Force is strong with this one not. Hmmmmmm. Wink Looking at my log, they weren't 3:30 flat, my two best ones were 3:34 and 3:33. The other ones as I told you he made me go the pace HE wanted me to go. Which felt slow and too easy. But i'm trying to learn control and not to kill myself in the beginning and fade at the end. The 3:30ish ones were toward the end...which was good. My point was, I don't run 15-16 min 5ks. Anyways, back to bashing RD's. Carry on.