Why Is the Republican Field So Extreme? (Read 2137 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Seems to me that the question is whether the US federal government should have to fund this type of research.  I think that Perry is questioning whether you, me, and the other millions of Americans should pay money to do this research.  That seems like a legitimate concern. 

Well, science should probably be free of politics, inasmuch as possible. Politics should at most set policy around whether a nation will support science, and the scale of that support.  But actual decisions about what type of research has scientific value should weigh more heavily on the scientists.  Don't get me wrong, if the scientists cannot communicate the value of the science they are pursuing, perhaps there is not much value to communicate.  But political ideology from the current party in power should not generally drive scientific discovery.

And I think at this point, given a preponderance of evidence, most are looking for federal funding to jump start new energy programs, not to pay for ongoing primary research. C-R, is that what you are proposing to the Fed?

“The problem is, is that the way Bush has done it over the last eight years is to take out a credit card from the Bank of China in the name of our children, driving up our national debt from $5 trillion for the first 42 presidents – #43 added $4 trillion by his lonesome, so that we now have over $9 trillion of debt that we are going to have to pay back — $30,000 for every man, woman and child. That’s irresponsible. It’s unpatriotic.“

Wait, this is the worst quote you can find from Obama? 

Why is it sideways?

“The problem is, is that the way Bush has done it over the last eight years is to take out a credit card from the Bank of China in the name of our children, driving up our national debt from $5 trillion for the first 42 presidents – #43 added $4 trillion by his lonesome, so that we now have over $9 trillion of debt that we are going to have to pay back — $30,000 for every man, woman and child. That’s irresponsible. It’s unpatriotic.“

I'm appalled. 

At the surface level, if those statements are true, I don't disagree with the words.

(I don't know that $4 trillion was added during that timeperiod, though).

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Wait, this is the worst quote you can find from Obama?  

All I said was all politicians say stupid things. 

I voted for Obama both before and after he said that.  I still think I have a right to say that was a stupid thing to say. 

I can sense the hopey changey context.  But still... really... future generations will see that by choosing Obama as the Democratic candidate will be the moment in time when hunger, joblessness, environmental damage, and war ends?  It's a little much eh?  And when 4 years later there is more hunger, higher unemployment, more environmental damage, and just as many wars... what then?  When someone gets a peace prize for doing nothing and thinks their rise to power will be like the comming of the messiah I can see why people on the right hate him.  And frankly, as a lefty it annoys me.  I despise polarization.  So I despise current politics. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Government is too big! 

So what does this actually mean?

And how does whatever metric of government size you think is important measure up next to other administrations in recent memory or generations?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Are these statements incorrect?  Are they stupid?

Feeling the growl again

Spaniel, that was not directed at you personally, and I'm sorry if it seemed that way.  When you called BHO "polarizing" it brought to mind the people I hear who really hate him.  You hear them on AM radio a lot.  And I believe that the true impetus behind the "Birthers" movement is not whether he has a valid birth certificate, but the feeling that a black man should not be president.

Well I'm glad you didn't mean it that way then.  I hope you see that people have plenty of reasons to dislike him for words and actions (whether you agree with their viewpoint or not), it would seem awfully presumptuous to assume that people that don't like him or find him polarizing are more likely racist than anything else.

Once-upon-a-time Colin Powell was considering a run.  I don't recall the same level of polarization then.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Why is it sideways?

All I said was all politicians say stupid things. 

I voted for Obama both before and after he said that.  I still think I have a right to say that was a stupid thing to say. 

I can sense the hopey changey context.  But still... really... future generations will see that by choosing Obama as the Democratic candidate will be the moment in time when hunger, joblessness, environmental damage, and war ends?  It's a little much eh?  And when 4 years later there is more hunger, higher unemployment, more environmental damage, and just as many wars... what then?  When someone gets a peace prize for doing nothing and thinks their rise to power will be like the comming of the messiah I can see why people on the right hate him.  And frankly, as a lefty it annoys me.  I despise polarization.  So I despise current politics. 

So, basically none of what I said in interpreting his words and the historical events that he was attempting to invoke made any sense to you. You're not even willing to engage my explanation--reducing it to "hopey changey context." 

Your claim that Obama's remarks here were on the same level as Gov. Perry's attack on science seems to me totally unjustified. Do you really believe this? Obama's remarks make sense exactly within the context of his whole campaign (a successful one, I might add), and are an attempt (perhaps naive) to inspire us to be the heroes of our own age. This seems to me to be nothing like an attack on the reputation of scientists or the scientific method, which was the claim you made.

(Okay, I should back off now.)

Trent - it only sounds stupid because, since Obama is doing the exact same thing, he is in the context of now saying "I am irresponsible. I am unpatriotic". 

Why is it sideways?

it only sounds stupid because, since Obama is doing the exact same thing, he is in the context of now saying "I am irresponsible. I am unpatriotic". 

Except that Bush did it during VERY different economic times. Ignoring that difference is missing everything entirely.

xor

Once-upon-a-time Colin Powell was considering a run.  I don't recall the same level of polarization then.

Weird comparison.  For one, he did not go very far down the path.  For two, those who are wondering about race's impact are doing this not just from the pre-election standpoint, but also post-election.  Which among other things has been hella disrespectful in a few ways we've never seen before, at least in the TV age (like the South Carolina dude heckling during a speech).  We have absolutely no idea how it would have gone for a President Powell.  And we never will.

The deal is, we don't have a good comparison here.  It IS different.  It is not a cop out to ask the question.  (it might be a cop out to state that race is the answer and walk away based on that)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Well I'm glad you didn't mean it that way then.  I hope you see that people have plenty of reasons to dislike him for words and actions (whether you agree with their viewpoint or not), it would seem awfully presumptuous to assume that people that don't like him or find him polarizing are more likely racist than anything else.

I haven't heard the spewing of hatred toward any previous president that I'm hearing now.  I need to never turn on AM radio, I know.

Among the more moderate people, don't you think anyone will tend to see a president of the opposing party as more polarizing than one of their own?  I know I'm guilty of this.

So, basically none of what I said in interpreting his words and the historical events that he was attempting to invoke made any sense to you. You're not even willing to engage my explanation--reducing it to "hopey changey context." 

Sorry.  I didn't mean to diminish your thoughts by using dismissive language. 

I understand your point.  I still believe that saying something like that in a speach is adding to the polarization.  Those particular images just seem so far beyond reality that I had classified them as "a stupid thing to say" in my book.  Others may be inspired.  I hope they were.  I hope they are acting to bring those things about.  Any one of those would be good things to work towards. 

I guess I'm just not looking for that kind of inspiration.  I want action.  I can inspire myself. 

Also, I think we all realize by now that if you have a "side" you are always going to think the leader on the other side is the one who is being polarizing.  That is the nature of things.  What I am trying to do is see the other side and understand how a conservative can see Obama as a polarizing figure.  Because if he's going to be an effective leader he needs to lead more than half the country. 

Prince of Fatness

I haven't heard the spewing of hatred toward any previous president that I'm hearing now.  I need to never turn on AM radio, I know.

I don't know dude, I heard a lot of nasty things said about Bush.  As far as personal nasty stuff goes, Bush got as much if not more than Obama.

Not at it at all.