Why Is the Republican Field So Extreme? (Read 2137 times)

Prince of Fatness

Should 47% of Americans not pay income tax?

Only if I am in that group.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Those who do not pay into a system, do not have vested interest in seeing the system behave efficiently.  They are only a recipient of services.

Example:

Wife used to work in an inner city ER.  The worst patients were those on the public dole.  They would come in night after night seeking narcotics.  No job, they had nothing better to do.  Through discussing with their "peers" and sheer trial-and-error, they would figure out exactly what to fake in order to get a handful of narcotics so that the NPs/docs could get them out the door and on to patients who really needed help.

Now, if each of those patients had had to pay a fee equivalent to the price of a pack of cigarettes, I guarantee it would have changed their consuming behavior....because they would have wanted that money for cigarettes.  $5 would not have made a dang difference to the balance sheet of the ER, but it would have eliminated much of the wasting of resources.  Seriously, these people would check into the ER 25 times in a month.  And the 53% paid for all of it.

Even if the amount paid is symbolic, IMHO most....not just 53%....should pay income taxes.  Would the amount of tax income increase appreciably?  Maybe not.  But I bet the behavior of those paying the taxes would.

--Modified to correct for my moderately enibriated state.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

IMHO - no. Even a token payment puts some emotional skin in the game.

Right now, it's 47% that are the equivalent of "free riders"

and don't go all nutty on me thinking this is me saying that they aren't trying hard to improve their lot or do what it takes to climb out of their situation. We wouldn't want this things to go Che Guevera on this board.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Ostrich runner

You guys must not realize how marked up individual wrapped Black and Milds and Four Loko are by taxes. Not to mention the artificial tariffs on decent green. That's a share.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Feeling the growl again

You guys must not realize how marked up individual wrapped Black and Milds and Four Loko are by taxes. Not to mention the artificial tariffs on decent green. That's a share.

Guess not.  Been too busy paying down my student loans.  Wink

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

WTF? Are these types of gus?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Why is it sideways?

C-R

Oakland

Not sure of your point here. Is it that the Man is being too harsh or just info for us. 

So the question is what was the reason for escalation. Would it be that they were several allegations of assault, battery and safety issues  that required intervention? When asked to disperse to address these issues, the community service folks had to deal with object hurled at them including bottles, rocks and bricks. At some point this mob needs to understand what peaceful demonstration means. We have a right to free speech and petition of government but the underlying principle is one of doing this within the law.  This is starting to look like 1969 and that turned out real well didn't it.

This mob sets back the right of us to petition the government  for redress exponentially.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

FFS, even Pat Robertson thinks the GOP needs to tone it down.

Thread over.  They're eating their own.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Prince of Fatness

Not at it at all. 

C-R

And it seems Michael Moore doesn't believe he's part of the 1% (obviously it's not about the money)

PIERS MORGAN, HOST: I need you to admit the bleeding obvious. I need you to sit here and say, I'm in the 1 percent, because it's important.

MICHAEL MOORE: Well, I can't. Because I'm not.

MORGAN: Because the validity of your argument -- you are, though.

MOORE: No, I'm not. I'm not.

MORGAN: You're not in if 1 percent?

MOORE: Of course I'm not. How can I be in the 1 percent?

MORGAN: Because you're worth millions.

Classic.

I know that there are people who are "like" you, but you don't "like".  I cannot understand how anybody support an ass like Michael Moore.  Those from the left must be embarrassed by him.  Right??? 

And it seems Michael Moore doesn't believe he's part of the 1% (obviously it's not about the money)

PIERS MORGAN, HOST: I need you to admit the bleeding obvious. I need you to sit here and say, I'm in the 1 percent, because it's important.

MICHAEL MOORE: Well, I can't. Because I'm not.

MORGAN: Because the validity of your argument -- you are, though.

MOORE: No, I'm not. I'm not.

MORGAN: You're not in if 1 percent?

MOORE: Of course I'm not. How can I be in the 1 percent?

MORGAN: Because you're worth millions.

Classic.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Why is it sideways?

C-R: anti-government until it starts in with the tear gas.

Menace to Sobriety

I know that there are people who are "like" you, but you don't "like".  I cannot understand how anybody support an ass like Michael Moore.  Those from the left must be embarrassed by him.  Right??? 

I put Moore in the same category as any other politically vocal celebrity. Just because they have more access to the media than the general public, it doesn't mean they're any smarter.

I think people can agree with a person's position on an issue, but not the logic(or lack thereof) they used to arrive there. Left and right have their fair share of these folks.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Why is it sideways?