Why Is the Republican Field So Extreme? (Read 2137 times)

Feeling the growl again

One of the severely injured a veteran who served two tours of duty. But hey, let's talk about Michael Moore.

i am grateful for his service. However, when you associate with a group that has begun to take violent action and refuse requests by authorities to disperse, one assumes certain risks unless he was somehow an innocent bystander not associated with the group being targeted, this is just a needed heart attempt for sympathy by the protesters shamelessly leveraging his service.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

One of the severely injured a veteran who served two tours of duty. But hey, let's talk about Michael Moore.

Sorry, didn't mean to distract or divert from the general topic of why the Republican Field is so Extreme Smile.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Why is it sideways?

i am grateful for his service. However, when you associate with a group that has begun to take violent action and refuse requests by authorities to disperse, one assumes certain risks unless he was somehow an innocent bystander not associated with the group being targeted, this is just a needed heart attempt for sympathy by the protesters shamelessly leveraging his service.

So, you think he got what he deserved, or am I reading you wrong? 

And you think the police acted appropriately, or am I reading you wrong?

(The final relevance is that the OWSers are being made out to be jobless, dope-smoking do-nothings, who do nothing for the country, which is obviously far from the case.)

C-R

+1 and I hope he recovers.

So why is "OWS" turning violent? I know the Oakland police department doesn't have the greatest reputation and history but where is the need to throw rocks, bricks and bottles when asked to disperse a public place (even if they have the proper permits those permits require vacating areas for health and safety reasons) by a legal authority. You know there will be an response. Seems to me this is exactly what the "leaders" of the mob wanted. But yes the Republican Field is extreme in comparison.

Since Michael Moore wants to be a public mouthpiece for this group, he deserves to be called out no less than Pat Robertson or Pat Buchannan when they step in it from the other spectrum. 

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

C-R

(The final relevance is that the OWSers are being made out to be jobless, dope-smoking do-nothings, who do nothing for the country, which is obviously far from the case.)

IMO no for 1 and I don't know as I wasn't there for 2. If the police acted against their policy or law, they will be held accountable in public and in court. The video tapes will go a long way to help with learning those facts. So if you were a police officer asked to go disperse a mob and someone hit you with a projectile, what would you do?

Should the OWS people hurl bottles, bricks and rocks at the police? Am I reading that you agree with the actions of the crowd and that they are justified?

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

I have been watching the events in Egypt and OWS with equal attention.  Things are pretty bad in Egypt, even for Egypt.  As Americans, though, how can we accept a police officer throwing any kind of explosive at a group of unarmed people running to a wounded person's aid?  There's a reason why Kent State stands out in our history.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Feeling the growl again

You have already taken two big steps down your usual path of interpreting whatever I say in the way you want to see it to be outraged, rather than being concerned with intent or stopping to think it through, so i will just let you finish that journey by yourself.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Why is it sideways?

I'm sure the leaders of the "mob" wanted to be beaten and put into critical condition. That's exactly what they wanted.

Just like the civil rights protesters wanted to be hit with hoses and bitten by dogs.

Just like MLK wanted to get shot.

Oh, wait--maybe they just wanted to protest undue influence of corporations and the wealthiest in government. Maybe that's what they wanted.

Local police have a long history of using excessive force in response to peaceful protest. If rocks were thrown, that's not a great thing. I condemn that. Will you condemn the outrageous police action that is clearly documented? Or will you spin it in order to cast aspersions toward the left?

That final question has been answered.

Should the OWS people hurl bottles, bricks and rocks at the police? Am I reading that you agree with the actions of the crowd and that they are justified?

+1  Great question (in light of the previous questions)....

Life Goals:

Why is it sideways?

+1  Great question (in light of the previous questions)....

Already answered. I condemn that. (I didn't see that this actually happened, but if it did, then it was wrong and stupid. But the response by professionals? Tremendously out of order.)

FFS, even Pat Robertson thinks the GOP needs to tone it down.

Thread over.  They're eating their own.

I've never understood how people who describe themselves as deeply religious tend to support the right wing economic policy.  It always seems opposite of what Jesus and other key religious  figures (the pope being one of the latest) seem to say.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2011/08/18/298691/pope-progressive-economics/

I am NOT religious and I am not trying to bait anyone.  And frankly, I think that the 99% movement represents the viewpoint of about 10% of the 99%.  So they ought to put 9.9% on their signs.  And it disturbs me that we would even consider some of their views as worth listening to. 

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-10-26/tuition-jumps-8-3-doubling-inflation-as-obama-plans-debt-relief.html

About how much discretionary income do unemployed art history major have anyway?  If we want to have free public education beyond high school then let's just open that up for discussion.  My guess is Americans will say they cannot afford to pay for other people's college education.  But at some point America will realize with a national debt of $40,000 for every man woman and child it is impossible to pay for people to have every wish.  There is no right to a college degree.  There is no right to health insurance. 

I'm a liberal.  Or was.  It's clear to me that Obama is going to lose on the agenda he is claiming.  He's starting to run on "if you don't elect me than you are going to have to be more self reliant".  Damn.  Talk about handing the election to the Republicans.  That's all most Americans want to hear. 

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2011/10/obama-if-we-lose-in-2012-government-will-tell-people-youre-on-your-own/

Dude.  If I'm sick then where did I sign up that government has to save me?  Where did I sign up that government has to pay for my college education?  Just where did I sign up that government has to make my life good. 

For me it just seems odd that out of this 99% thing I'm finding myself far more conservative on economic policy than religious leaders are.  I've voted Democrat in almost every election going back to when I once voted for Ross Perot.  Now... I'd better figure out what the heck I believe in.  Maybe it's called getting old.  Everyone always told me I'd become more conservative with age.  They are probably right. 

Already answered. I condemn that. (I didn't see that this actually happened, but if it did, then it was wrong and stupid. But the response by professionals? Tremendously out of order.)

(Sorry, got caught up reading and responding before I saw your response and condemnation... ).

Life Goals:

Why is it sideways?

You have already taken two big steps down your usual path of interpreting whatever I say in the way you want to see it to be outraged, rather than being concerned with intent or stopping to think it through, so i will just let you finish that journey by yourself.

I know, man. I really started taking it to the personal level. Oh wait, that was you, again. When will the lies start? Next post? Get a grip.

C-R

I'm sure the leaders of the "mob" wanted to be beaten and put into critical condition. That's exactly what they wanted.

Just like the civil rights protesters wanted to be hit with hoses and bitten by dogs.

Just like MLK wanted to get shot.

Oh, wait--maybe they just wanted to protest undue influence of corporations and the wealthiest in government. Maybe that's what they wanted.

Local police have a long history of using excessive force in response to peaceful protest. If rocks were thrown, that's not a great thing. I condemn that. Will you condemn the outrageous police action that is clearly documented? Or will you spin it in order to cast aspersions toward the left?

That final question has been answered.

I can see you are staking a position for me but re-read what I said about the police. They will be held to account and I don't support what they did if it does not follow their rules, regulations and laws. Pretty clear. No spin.

How is the mob held to account? I don't care if they are left or right. You can't act in a way that doesn't follow the laws and accepted social norms and not expect some action or consequence.

I know, man. I really started taking it to the personal level. Oh wait, that was you, again. When will the lies start? Next post? Get a grip.

Jeff, honestly, as an outsider looking in to your feud with Spaniel, it appears as if you are quick to interpret items that others write (namely Spaniel, in this case) out of context.  By insinuating that Spaniel meant items that clearly weren't his intent make it look to me like you skimmed over his words and had a quick reaction rather than a thoughtful reaction.  Seems like thoughtful reactions would be better in forums sometimes when your pissed off.

Specificallly, you wrote:

"So, you think he got what he deserved, or am I reading you wrong? 

And you think the police acted appropriately, or am I reading you wrong?"

In response to Spaniel writing words that don't come close to him thinking what you wrote...

I think you're reading him wrong.  It's ok to be on 2 different sides to a given debate, but to attack a point of view like that seems pretty extreme.

Life Goals: