Why Is the Republican Field So Extreme? (Read 2137 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'm sensing a lot of knees jerking around here.

C-R

I'm sensing a lot of knees jerking around here.

and you would expect something different when looking at a political thread on a running board.Wink

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

and you would expect something different when looking at a political thread on a running board.Wink

Those of us (I mean "me" in particular), that can add no value to running related forums need to search for a subject I can contribute to, understand, agree or disagree with, or whatever.

But, I'd much rather read from Nobby, Jeff, Spaniel, Trent, and other RunnerHeads as it relates to running (most of the time).

Cheers,
        Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Runner's knee?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

But, I'd much rather read from Nobby, Jeff, Spaniel, Trent, and other RunnerHeads as it relates to running (most of the time).

+1

And, dammit, I don't think I've managed to sway a single person toward my political direction.

I don't think I've managed to sway a single person toward my political direction.

Just keep typing.  I'm sure you'll eventually find somone on the internet who is just looking to read something in order to be convinced that their way of thinking is wrong. 

Prince of Fatness

I don't think I've managed to sway a single person toward my political direction.

That's because it is so extreme.

Not at it at all. 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

That's because it is so extreme.

#$%#5^#%#&

Prince of Fatness

#$%#5^#%#&

Dude, Google couldn't translate that.  Did you just call me an asshole?

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Those of us (I mean "me" in particular), that can add no value to running related forums

That statement is not true.  There are few runners out there who have nothing to contribute, and fewer who have nothing to learn.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

MrH

Should the OWS people hurl bottles, bricks and rocks at the police? Am I reading that you agree with the actions of the crowd and that they are justified?

Definitely not.

Likewise, police dressed in full protective riot shouldn't have the need to fire objects at unarmed protesters that can cause serious injury and death. 'Rubber bullets' have been doing this for years.

And how do you hold the protesters accountable? Video the perpetrators of any illegal behavior as evidence, send in sufficiently large snatch squads and arrest those responsible.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Feeling the growl again

I know, man. I really started taking it to the personal level. Oh wait, that was you, again. When will the lies start? Next post? Get a grip.

There was no personal attack, only an explanation of why you were not getting an answer.  You already had slanted your interpretation of my post to create an inflammatory and misleading strawman.  Based on prior behavior, it's pretty clear you're not open to real, respectful discussion on the matter.  Even without a reply you went on to liken the accidental injury of a protester with a tool intended to be non-lethal (remember, even tasers used to avoid shooting people sometimes have resulted in death) to deliberate shootings at Kent State.  That's a hell of a stretch from my post.

I decided quite awhile ago that it was no longer worth exerting energy -- either positive or negative -- on you.  Everything is always a personal attack to you.  There's a lesson in personal responsibility here.  I implored you to stop reading attacks in my post and approach me by PM if you felt there was so we could clear it up, and that I desired a positive rapport.  You swore at me and threw it in my face, yet now you demand respect and engagement?  I start out assuming the best of people, but in the end respect must be earned.  You aren't simply entitled to it for existing and having an opinion.  You aren't entitled to unending patience with your paranoia and outbursts. 

So do a get snippy?  Yeah.  Because I realized long ago that no longer how much I agonized over the wording to placate you the result would be the same.  So it's not an attack, just apathy as to the result.  I just don't care how you read it anymore.  And frankly I hate enablers so I just don't play the placation game well.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

Definitely not.

Likewise, police dressed in full protective riot shouldn't have the need to fire objects at unarmed protesters that can cause serious injury and death. 'Rubber bullets' have been doing this for years.

And how do you hold the protesters accountable? Video the perpetrators of any illegal behavior as evidence, send in sufficiently large snatch squads and arrest those responsible.

I don't know if we have any police on the board, I'd be interested to hear their thoughts.

I don't see how police, typically massively outnumbered in these situations, are supposed to send in "snatch squads" to pull these people out.  They put themselves at risk of being overcome and beaten by the mob.  Tear gas and similar tools are ways to try and disperse the crowd without the police having to put themselves at great personal peril.  The crowd may have shown no evidence of having guns, but to say that they were "unarmed", IF they really were throwing rocks/bottles/bricks, is not accurate.  Those projectiles are likely more dangerous than the tear gas canister that presumably caused the vet's injury.

Non-lethal force does not guarantee nothing bad will happen to people.  I can recollect several cases where tasers were used in an attempt to avoid having to shoot people, but the people died as a result of being tased.  However, just like in this case, if the person had not attacked someone or police, authorities would not have had to deploy such tools against them. 

If you think you need to break laws in order to get your point across, you must expect a reaction and accept the risk of the consequences.  If....IF....those protesters really were turning violent and attacking or throwing things at police, tear gas does not seem an unreasonable route.  It is very unfortunate that someone took one to the head however. 

It's also easy to Monday morning quarterback...someone made a comment about assaulting protesters coming to the aid of someone injured.  In such a situation....in the dark....could the police have known exactly what they were doing, or think they were running INTO the fight?  Could those specific individuals have not even been specifically targeted?  There are a lot of strong conclusions being made here by people who have very little information about what occurred.  I would suggest we wait for some of the video and evidence to be analyzed before we rush to condemn either side.

MrH

It is very unfortunate that someone took one to the head however. 

Unfortunate is not the word I'd use when it is in fact quite predictable. In Northern Ireland alone close to twenty people were killed over the course of a decade or so by such non-lethal rounds being fired into crowds, and many, many more were permanently disabled.

The question is whether the protester behavior had reached a level of aggression that riot police with helmets, shields and other safety gear, standing behind metal protective barriers, were in sufficient danger that it was reasonable to take action which had a significant chance of killing an unarmed civilian in a crowd. 

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Feeling the growl again

Unfortunate is not the word I'd use when it is in fact quite predictable. In Northern Ireland alone close to twenty people were killed over the course of a decade or so by such non-lethal rounds being fired into crowds, and many, many more were permanently disabled.

The question is whether the protester behavior had reached a level of aggression that riot police with helmets, shields and other safety gear, standing behind metal protective barriers, were in sufficient danger that it was reasonable to take action which had a significant chance of killing an unarmed civilian in a crowd. 

Predictable or not it is still unfortunate.  I would guess that while injury can occur the frequency of this sort of thing happening is relatively rare, so I hedge a little bit on agreeing to the word "predictable".  A known risk, absolutely.

In addition to direct danger to police there is the safety and welfare of the population and need to enforce law and order which must also be weighed.   I am certain that in the coming days/weeks we will be hearing more about whether this police force adhered to applicable rules and policies regarding the use of force.  Before you side with the protesters against police who had so much protection, remember that the only reason these protesters were in ANY danger was because they made the personal choice to be there in violation of a police order to vacate.  This does not mean I think anyone "got what they deserved", but it makes them far less than innocent victims being trodden on by The Man when there are consequences to their choices...intended or otherwise.