Why Is the Republican Field So Extreme? (Read 2137 times)

if only we'd get a president who would say something like this:

"today I'm pledging to cut the deficit we inherited in half by the end of my first term in office. This will not be easy. It will require us to make difficult decisions and face challenges we've long neglected. But I refuse to leave our children with a debt that they cannot repay - and that means taking responsibility right now, in this administration, for getting our spending under control."

oh wait...

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

if only we'd get a president who would say something like this:

"today I'm pledging to cut the deficit we inherited in half by the end of my first term in office. This will not be easy. It will require us to make difficult decisions and face challenges we've long neglected. But I refuse to leave our children with a debt that they cannot repay - and that means taking responsibility right now, in this administration, for getting our spending under control."

oh wait...

And everybody says, "Yes, let's do this!"

Feeling the growl again

Regular monthly payments didn't begin until Jan 1940, 3 years after the SS tax started being collected.  So, no one in 1936, 37, 38 or 39  had the same thing Spaniel described, much less a "generation".

This doesn't change anything.  Mass distrubutions started after only 3 years of paying in, across the board.  So yes, an entire generation collected after paying in for only a small number of years...contributing far less than they ended up paying in.

The fact remains that SS is pay-as-you-go, there is no pool of money being stored up.  The gov't spends it as soon as it comes in and the "trust fund" is bonds -- the governement spends the money then issues itself an IOU.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Never mind - Even I could not understand my question

Menace to Sobriety

This doesn't change anything.  Mass distrubutions started after only 3 years of paying in, across the board.  So yes, an entire generation collected after paying in for only a small number of years...contributing far less than they ended up paying in.

The fact remains that SS is pay-as-you-go, there is no pool of money being stored up.  The gov't spends it as soon as it comes in and the "trust fund" is bonds -- the governement spends the money then issues itself an IOU.

I don't think I ever said or implied that it wasn't pay as you go. The big difference back then was there were 159 people paying in for every beneficiary, compared to 3 to 1 now.

Nearly everyone that lives to normal life expectancy gets more out than they ever pay in. That will vary in amount depending on their lifetime income, actual lifespan, marital status, etc.

http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/planning-to-retire/2011/01/06/will-you-get-back-your-social-security-taxes-in-retirement

That being said, I can take it or leave it, but either fix it, or pull the plug, but like everything else, Congress will just pass it down the road.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Why is it sideways?

Why is it sideways?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Feeling the growl again

Speak it, Rush.

If Rush represents Republicans, Louis Farrakhan represents Democrats.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

How many prominent Republicans in office have repudiated his remarks?

I always find it dumb when they do that. He is an entertainer.  I think it was dumb of the pres. to call her in support after those remarks. It's amazing the attention this joker gets.  No, it's sad.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

This made me giggle:

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I can't believe that this thread has been read only 1,444 times.

It seems like it keeps going and going (and it seems like I've opened this thread at least 144 times over the past however many months)....

I think the entertainers are extreme (Rush, Hannity, Beck, Savage, Moore, Stewart, etc.).
                        (The truth is that there are extreme people on the other side of the political spectrum that are entertainers as well.)

Some say that they're "fair and balanced".  Some imply that they're neutral.  Some let you know what they think and give their opinion. 

The worst part about entertainers is that they lie and try to provide a long lasting sense of reality that is false.

(Politicians also lie, but that's a different topic from this most recent portion of this thread).

Last week, I turned to talk radio (happened to be Rush) on Thursday as I was driving to the gym to hear whether there was any comment about Andrew Breitbart dying earlier in the morning.  I heard some of the dialogue regarding Flute, and was surprised by what I heard.  That, apparently, was about 1/2 of the way through his 3 day obsession.

Years ago, I listened to a few of those nut-cases on the radio.

Then I chose to run to clear my mind and change my obsession from politics to learning how to run/bike/swim.

Cheers,
                        Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Feeling the growl again

Can you really not defend your decision to be a Democrat without needing to imagine that the rank and file of people who align with the party you oppose agree with this whackjob entertainer?  You're better than that.

And people say Congressional Repulicans are causing the polarization.  If this is how you view me, why would I ever want to have a serious discussion with you about anything important?  Serious question. 

You'd also need to clarify what remarks are being repudated and by whom.  These whackjob entertainers don't gain audiences by being whackjob on everything.  They say enough stuff that makes sense to people to draw an audience, and then the entertainment part with inflammatory wackedness begins.