Why Is the Republican Field So Extreme? (Read 2137 times)

Ostrich runner

Mitch Daniels isn't big on personality, but I think it's fair to say at this point that if he'd run, he'd have pretty good shot. The word I have from some is that he isn't ruling out four years from now, but R party insiders expected this cannibalization on this turn. It's something of a role reversal - dems are used to the fractured party and loudmouths, but are now enjoying some party unity. Arguably, this is evidence of Obama's moderation...or at least the luxury of being incumbent. I think if there were a R incumbent, the Dems would be having a splinter group problem with the Occupy crowd. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I think what you're seeing play out is what happens when a very activist/vocal minority finds a way to take control.  It's Prohibition all over again.  While some of the commentary would have you think that Republican voters are living back in 50s, the low voter turnout in many of these primaries/caucuses indicates that...quite the opposite...the average Republican voter is completely disappointed with the best their party has to offer at this point.  You've got a mixture of overly conservative/religious types catering to the overly vocal/influential minority (Santorum/Paul), an abrasive bully (Gingrich), or a chameleon who is everything to whomever he is talking to at a particular point in time (Romney).  There were better candidates out there, but they either didn't want to deal with the far right wing minority, the ridiculously divisive Washington politics, or the media circus of running for President and its effect on their family.

Where is the South Park election episode when you need it....

You said in a paragraph what the article said in five pages.

While some of the commentary would have you think that Republican voters are living back in 50s, the low voter turnout in many of these primaries/caucuses indicates that...quite the opposite...the average Republican voter is completely disappointed with the best their party has to offer at this point.

The sad thing, to me at least, is how all the voters sitting home so disgusted now will come out in droves this November to vote against the liberal candidate.  Or, perhaps more accurately, they'll come out to vote for the [same-sex ban/life begins at conception referendum/some other look-at-the-monkey issue having nothing to do with the economy or national security] and hey, while we're here, we may as well vote pull the Republican straight-party lever.  Little attempt to learn about BOTH candidates beyond determining what color jerseys they're wearing.  Go team!

(And I could say the same thing about Democrats, for that matter -- the roles routinely are reversed.  I need another beer.)

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Prince of Fatness

The sad thing, to me at least, is how all the voters sitting home so disgusted now will come out in droves this November to vote against the liberal candidate.

Actually I think that a lot of them will stay home on election day, something that I am sure will make Obama happy.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

The sad thing, to me at least, is how all the voters sitting home so disgusted now will come out in droves this November to vote against the liberal candidate.  Or, perhaps more accurately, they'll come out to vote for the [same-sex ban/life begins at conception referendum/some other look-at-the-monkey issue having nothing to do with the economy or national security] and hey, while we're here, we may as well vote pull the Republican straight-party lever.  Little attempt to learn about BOTH candidates beyond determining what color jerseys they're wearing.  Go team!

(And I could say the same thing about Democrats, for that matter -- the roles routinely are reversed.  I need another beer.)

As your last line says, this is not a Republican issue but an issue with the vast majority of voters, regardless of party.

I don't think either party is really focused on the economy or national security.  It's the social issues which are allowing them to take cheap shots at each other.  Heaven forbid they have to take a stance and come up with a firm plan to handle real issues during a campaign.  Do you think any of them actually plan to try and implement the silly tax proposals being bantied about?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Why is it sideways?

It's always easy to blame both sides, but in this case, I think PH is more on target than spaniel. Republicans will stay home, unhappy with their candidates, and Democrats will come out and vote for Obama, happy (within reason) with him.

The only thing that has frustrated Democrats about Obama is that he has been too eager to compromise with a Republican congress that has no ideas except blocking his attempt to solve problems through distraction, misdirection, and stubbornness at every turn. Otherwise, we see him as a reasonable president with the best interest of the country in mind.

Feeling the growl again

It's always easy to blame both sides, but in this case, I think PH is more on target than spaniel.

I did not say exactly what you think I said.  I would also agree with PH that a lot of GOP will be staying home and Dems are more likely to get out and vote.  My point was entirely different; that voters of BOTH parties tend to vote their party line or chase the strawman issues rather than focus on what is really important and vote thoughtfully.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Why is it sideways?

Okay, sorry i misread. I just saw that the pattern of your responses over the last page or so has been to deflect criticism of your own party by claiming that the other party is basically just the same. I don't agree with that assessment.

Prince of Fatness

My point was entirely different; that voters of BOTH parties tend to vote their party line or chase the strawman issues rather than focus on what is really important and vote thoughtfully.

I think that it even goes beyond this.  The public in general (forget about parties for a moment) is impatient.  They want instant gratification.  The problem is that there is no short term solution to this mess.  So you have politicians playing numbers games, they make things look good all the while sweeping the problems under the rug leaving them for the next administration to deal with.  Both parties do this, and the behavior is enabled by the voting public.

Because of this I fear that things will get much worse before they get better. 

Not at it at all. 

Why is it sideways?

I think that it even goes beyond this.  The public in general (forget about parties for a moment) is impatient.  They want instant gratification.  The problem is that there is no short term solution to this mess.  So you have politicians playing numbers games, they make things look good all the while sweeping the problems under the rug leaving them for the next administration to deal with.  Both parties do this, and the behavior is enabled by the voting public.

Because of this I fear that things will get much worse before they get better. 

You say to forget about parties, but I think this cynical attitude is actually one of the primary things that political parties want to create--it is certainly something that the right looks to foment. It's precisely this cynical attitude about government that is at the core of the right's project of [impatiently] moving to a smaller government, cutting taxes, etc. This unreflective vision of governmental incompetency is what motivates the right's desire to be instantly gratified through the blocking of any and every government project, no matter how reasonable or effective such project may be.

Because of this cynical attitude towards social change and reform, I fear that things will get much worse before they get better!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Sometimes I begin to suspect that the "public" also cares about gay marriage, abortion. contraception, prayer in (or out) of the schools, and which political figure "flip-flopped", a lot more than they care about the medium and long-term outlook of our splendid fiscal policy.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Prince of Fatness

You say to forget about parties, but I think this cynical attitude is actually one of the primary things that political parties want to create--it is certainly something that the right looks to foment. It's precisely this cynical attitude about government that is at the core of the right's project of [impatiently] moving to a smaller government, cutting taxes, etc. This unreflective vision of governmental incompetency is what motivates the right's desire to be instantly gratified through the blocking of any and every government project, no matter how reasonable or effective such project may be.

Because of this cynical attitude towards social change and reform, I fear that things will get much worse before they get better!

So the left does none of this stuff?

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Jeff said "parties"

.. a reasonable president with the best interest of the country in mind.

FWIW, this is what I look for every election cycle; I'm "unaffiliated" and frequently cast votes across party lines.  My major frustrations are that (1) even if a candidate with the best interest of the country in mind is elected, little is likely to actually be accomplished without a similarly-minded (or super-majority) Congress; and (2) they all board the train with that ridiculous (IMO) unresolvable-social-issue baggage that I know will then be put front and center, ahead of "the best interest of the country".

I don't think anyone can look at the functioning of the American government and not become cynical.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Jeff, I think you added fuel to the fire....

I don't think that your assessment of the "right" vs. "left" properly reflects that thoughts of those on the "right" or "left".

When you refer to "right", I'm guessing you mean the voters, not the politicians, and I personally don't think that you're correct in your assessment of the motive of those voters on the "right".  If you mean the politicians themselves, then I believe that there's equal cynicism depending on the year and who's currently in power.  (It goes both ways).

You speak about smaller government, cutting taxes, etc..  There seems to be a mis-understanding about why the conservative people want smaller government and less taxes. 

I also don't understand what you mean by "instantly gratified" within the context of the paragraph.

Regardless, I don't think that any runners here know the answers to this incredibly challenging dilemma we're faced with in our generation.  I don't think that anybody here knows the truth.  I know that many here have strong opinions (including myself), but I'm pretty confident that any opinion is debateable, and I doubt that anybody with strong opinions will be satisfied reading the opinions of our opinionated runner friends. 

Cheers,
                                Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life