Cheap shoe alert! (Read 1087 times)

Watch Ed Budd's youtube reviews of both the Pro and Speed. He likes the Speed very, very much.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

SMART Approach

I took that deal recently on RW and got the PROs and raced in them last weekend. I raced so well. I also have the Speeds version 1. I just think they are both amazing. Getting older and heavier I have gotten away from "flats" for racing and have been using Kinvaras for races last couple years just because I felt I needed more shoe. No more, I am hooked. The Speeds felt amazing on my races this year and including my HALF in September. Like amazing. I thought I would try the Pros with the deal. Geez, also amazing. I kinda feel like I am cheating with both these shoes.

The PROs are a bit lighter, a bit stiffer and a bit less cushion. These are noticable but not as much as I thought. I would have no qualms using the PROs in a HALF. With all this being said, if you love the Speeds just stick with them. The "feeling" is not that much different to me when running at faster paces.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

I took that deal recently on RW and got the PROs and raced in them last weekend. I raced so well. I also have the Speeds version 1. I just think they are both amazing. Getting older and heavier I have gotten away from "flats" for racing and have been using Kinvaras for races last couple years just because I felt I needed more shoe. No more, I am hooked. The Speeds felt amazing on my races this year and including my HALF in September. Like amazing. I thought I would try the Pros with the deal. Geez, also amazing. I kinda feel like I am cheating with both these shoes.

The PROs are a bit lighter, a bit stiffer and a bit less cushion. These are noticable but not as much as I thought. I would have no qualms using the PROs in a HALF. With all this being said, if you love the Speeds just stick with them. The "feeling" is not that much different to me when running at faster paces.

Thanks for that very helpful analysis.  Yeah, if the Speeds were available I'd pick them over the Pros.  I'm just worried about increased injury potential with the Pros but if I use them sparingly, that probably would not be an issue.  It's obviously a quality shoe for $100.

Personal Records:

5K - 20:07 ran in September 2021 (The second half split during the 10K run listed below.)

10K - 41:10 ran in September 2021

8 miles - 56:15 ran in November 2021

Half Marathon - 1:39:06 ran in September 2020

I went ahead and bought the Pros.  It was just too good a deal to pass up.  I'll report back after I do a run in them.  Just as an aside, I posted another PR with my Endorphin Speeds today for a hilly 6.40 mile course at 6:57/mile.  I continued to be astounded at how well they perform!  It will be interesting to compare how the Pros feel on the same route.

Personal Records:

5K - 20:07 ran in September 2021 (The second half split during the 10K run listed below.)

10K - 41:10 ran in September 2021

8 miles - 56:15 ran in November 2021

Half Marathon - 1:39:06 ran in September 2020

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Is anyone aware of any good deals on Hoka Cliftons? NOW my 20 year old informs me that an older pair he wears to work are giving him black toenails (though they didn't when he was wearing them to run, maybe a year ago. I suppose his feet are spreading from retail job + running. Mine did that at about the same age). I checked RW, Sierra.com, 6pm, Hoka.com...not seeing anything on clearance, now.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Just a general update for the frugal-minded:

The usual online stores are clearing out last year's shoes at so-so savings

Jackrabbit, Running Warehouse, REI, etc

There are some SUPER deals at generic discount places like Nordstrom Rack and Sierra, especially for women's shoes

(Saucony Endorphin Speed for under $80, for example)

Bricks and mortar clearance outlets like Nordstrom Rack, and the "returns" sections of places like REI and Road Runner Sports often have exceptional deals, if you're lucky enough to find your size. (I just bought a "visibly new" pair of NB RC Elite for $80 at RRS). In my area of CA, there is a local chain store called Sports Basement that has just created a "returns" section, there are hundreds of pairs of running shoes, mostly women's, at crazy low prices; "one-run" returns at half the retail price.

One thing I noticed in the last couple months, clearance stores like Marshall's and Ross Dress For Less have STOPPED getting serious running shoes (in my area). In the past, I've always found some decent shoes, but now there are only fashion shoes and knock-offs.

I think I have my shoe needs for 2022 figured out. Adding to my current rotation, I'm hunting for NB Rebel-2 and Saucony Endorphin Speed. I'll get 1-2 pairs of Skechers MaxRoad-5, the MaxRoad is my go-to for long, easy, and junk miles and probably 2/3 of my annual miles. I have all the trail and race shoes I'll need, I think. I don't wear out the race flats and spikes, cuz I don't race or do track workouts very often. I might need another pair of trail shoes, depending on how many dirt miles I'm able to get in this year.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I think I have my shoe needs for 2022 figured out. Adding to my current rotation, I'm hunting for NB Rebel-2 and Saucony Endorphin Speed. I'll get 1-2 pairs of Skechers MaxRoad-5, the MaxRoad is my go-to for long, easy, and junk miles and probably 2/3 of my annual miles. I have all the trail and race shoes I'll need, I think. I don't wear out the race flats and spikes, cuz I don't race or do track workouts very often. I might need another pair of trail shoes, depending on how many dirt miles I'm able to get in this year.

I’ve always been a fan of the Skechers Max range, but if you ever see Nike ZoomX Invincible on sale then treat yourself to bliss as they're even better and perfect for easy/recovery runs!  I call them my marshmallow shoes. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

I’ve always been a fan of the Skechers Max range, but if you ever see Nike ZoomX Invincible on sale then treat yourself to bliss as they're even better and perfect for easy/recovery runs!  I call them my marshmallow shoes. 

I had given up on Nike training shoes after decades of disappointment (but their racing shoes have always been good), I'll try the Invincible on if I get a chance. BTW, the NB RC Elite is a marshmallow, softer than the RoadMax, but the plate mitigates any energy sapping. However, when going down a steep hill, the kind that you have to hold yourself back or you'll lose control, I could easily feel the RC bottoming out, no more give in the heel, where the MaxRoad never bottoms out. Maybe it was the plate in the RC, because it IS very close to your foot in the heel. If NB makes a different version of the RC, same shoe but less aggressive plate, it would be an excellent daily trainer. Maybe that's what the new Rebel feels like, or the Rebel-3, which has higher stack and no plate.

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Thanks for the update! Maybe I'll spend half an hour or so poking around online to see what I can find.

Just a general update for the frugal-minded:

The usual online stores are clearing out last year's shoes at so-so savings

Jackrabbit, Running Warehouse, REI, etc

There are some SUPER deals at generic discount places like Nordstrom Rack and Sierra, especially for women's shoes

(Saucony Endorphin Speed for under $80, for example)

Bricks and mortar clearance outlets like Nordstrom Rack, and the "returns" sections of places like REI and Road Runner Sports often have exceptional deals, if you're lucky enough to find your size. (I just bought a "visibly new" pair of NB RC Elite for $80 at RRS). In my area of CA, there is a local chain store called Sports Basement that has just created a "returns" section, there are hundreds of pairs of running shoes, mostly women's, at crazy low prices; "one-run" returns at half the retail price.

One thing I noticed in the last couple months, clearance stores like Marshall's and Ross Dress For Less have STOPPED getting serious running shoes (in my area). In the past, I've always found some decent shoes, but now there are only fashion shoes and knock-offs.

jimrob25

spammer spamming

wth? why would someone wrap their feet in hoodies instead of wearing shoes?

Hibbett Sports has some good deals on Saucony Endorphin Speed2 ($132) and NB Rebel2 ($103, one color is $58!) right now, AND discounts stack, like $15 off $100 spent, free shipping, and others. I paid a total of about $105 for Speed-2. If the $58 Rebel2 wasn't black, I'd get another pair.

https://www.hibbett.com

undue monkey

Adidas has the Adios 6 ($84) and Boston 10 ($98) in black and white colorway.

4/17/22

Stopped in at my local Skechers outlet today

GoRun Max Road 4+

Max Road 4

Ride 8

all $50

I got another pair of 4+

zebano

Endorphin Speeds & Pros are $96 on Saucony's site as well as Amazon and RunningWarehouse. Main site offers an additional 10% off if you sign up for SMS messages. Sounds like the V3 are being released on July

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)