Cheap shoe alert! (Read 1086 times)

CalBears

Cal I'm keen to try Skechers but they mostly seem to have 4mm drop which historically is bad for me. What model did you get ?

I've got 2 pairs of MaxRoad4 and 2 pairs of Razor3. Historically I don't think my legs even notice if its 4mm drop or 10 Smile

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

The Skechers lineup is starting to get some respect. Their speed shoes look really good and they are light and cheap.

We have Skechers shops here but they don't have the majority of their performance running shoe models.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

The Skechers lineup is starting to get some respect. Their speed shoes look really good and they are light and cheap.

We have Skechers shops here but they don't have the majority of their performance running shoe models.

I've also found that you can't buy the serious running shoes in any of their retail stores. Except the "flagship" stores like Las Vegas. You pretty much have to order online. I'm lucky enough to have one of their big outlets a half mile from my house, and I stop in every week to look at the "clearance" section, where I've bought most of my Skechers for $25-40. The manager told me they get returns or overstock or other orphan shoes for the clearance section. It's not consistent, but I seem to be able to get a pair at that insane price about once every 2-3 months. I picked up a pair of Speed-6 for $30 months ago, I have no idea how they got there, but the only pair was my size so BAM! new shoes. They've been closed because they are "non essential" so I haven't been in there in over a month. I've been waiting for Razor3's to show up. They have had a few pairs, but they were size 8 or under.

Also, I think I mentioned Shoeline canceled my order because they were "out of stock". I wish they knew how much business I sent their way by posting it here! Maybe then they would suddenly find a way to have my order of a single pair "in stock".

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

I've got 2 pairs of MaxRoad4 and 2 pairs of Razor3. Historically I don't think my legs even notice if its 4mm drop or 10 Smile

The rocker sole throws a monkeywrench into the "drop" equation. Maybe there's only 4mm of extra material under the heel, but the heel is 5-10cm off the ground because of the rocker. The maxroad will actually rock back and forth 10+ times if you lift one end and let it drop! I compared that with my Hokas, Brooks, Kinvarras, etc and they just splat once and stop or rock 1-2 times. Of course how they behave on your foot is a different matter.

MAXROAD 4 HYPER: The Ultimate LONG DISTANCE running shoe? - YouTube

runlikeagirI

New Balance is offering 30% off what seems like virtually everything through 11:59pm eastern tonight.  I ordered a pair of Fuelcell Propels (in new colors, not clearance) for $81 (including tax) today.

Bill you have become a shoe " influencer " 

You are lucky with that shop so near. I might risk the drop next time as the rocker theory seems like they might be ok.

I just bought some Adidas Takumi Sens but pulled a calf so will have to wait to try them.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

New Balance is offering 30% off what seems like virtually everything through 11:59pm eastern tonight.  I ordered a pair of Fuelcell Propels (in new colors, not clearance) for $81 (including tax) today.

Thanks.  Of course, the 860s were excluded, but I did get a pair of 1500s for less than $80.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

5/5/20

Zulily.com

Varied selection of running shoes at good prices, I bought a pair of New Balance Fuelcell Propel for $55 today.

Mizuno, Saucony, Brooks, Nike, New Balance, 361, others. It's worth a look.

CalBears

5/5/20

Zulily.com

Varied selection of running shoes at good prices, I bought a pair of New Balance Fuelcell Propel for $55 today.

Mizuno, Saucony, Brooks, Nike, New Balance, 361, others. It's worth a look.

Thanks. But... Estimated shipping time - 3-4 weeks  I know nobody in a hurry, but that's pretty interesting...

Runningwarehouse have Fuelcell Rebel for $60 Oleg but they might be too fast a shoe for you 

CalBears

Runningwarehouse have Fuelcell Rebel for $60 Oleg but they might be too fast a shoe for you 

I already have plenty of "fast" shoes Andrew, those fast ones maybe useless for me now but one day they may come handy Smile Also, I have a pack of new shoes in my storage that will run me through another 3 years, so, I am only looking for really good deals - like in case with shoeline - this seems shaky with 3-4 weeks of delivery - looks like they basically take the money, send them to a factory, factory makes the shoes, sends them to the company and then company sends it to you. Plus, never been big fan of NB. SO, will probably skip...

The reason I ordered the Propels is because I have a pair of Rebels. They are decent shoes for moderately long runs although they are made for uptempo runs, and I'm a Bison who likes cushion. If your runs are 15k or less, the Rebels seem fine for daily use (like Kinvarra). The outsole is made for uptempo stuff, though. Not bad if you're a mid-forefoot striker. The Propel is a bigger softer shoe for more daily use at slower tempo, but same sweet fuelcell foam.

Also not a NB fan, but this series is pretty good.

I think it pays to have an open mind with shoe brands as companies like Skechers etc are improving all the time. I never considered New Balance until Nike and Adidas became so expensive here in NZ. I tried New Balance Zantes Pursuits and they are amazing shoes.

CalBears

I think it pays to have an open mind with shoe brands as companies like Skechers etc are improving all the time. I never considered New Balance until Nike and Adidas became so expensive here in NZ. I tried New Balance Zantes Pursuits and they are amazing shoes.

Yep, you are right - I am so close minded, it's simply unbelievable...

Shoe brand discussion,cheap shoes thats my terrain:

Just ordered a pair of Adidas UB Speedfactory. They were 30% off and on their website with the promo code shop30 I got another 30% off. So it ended at roughly 100bucks which isnt cheap for me but given the starting point was 220, that wasnt too bad. I should have checked the code shop50 though, now that I am thinking about it.

Basically its a shoe with the torsion midsole, and somehow manufactured in a new way in Germany (not Asia anymore). I have a pair of Adidas Ultraboost with their super dooper midsole technology (I remember Torsion first came out in the early 90s) and they are comfortable but thats about it. So I will see if it is any good.

I really like my Pegasus Turbo, they had gone on sale earlier this year. They remind me of the Adidas Bostons that I had picked from the running warehouse thanks to Piwis advice.

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!