Cheap shoe alert! (Read 1086 times)

CalBears

If you are interested in some new, in box, running shoes, there are now four listed on Seattle Craigslist;

They are all men's standard width,

Adidias Adizero Bostyon 6, size 8-1/2  https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/spo/d/seattle-running-shoes-adidas-boston-6/7149547460.html

Saucony Kinvara 9, sz. 8  https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/spo/d/seattle-running-shoes-saucony-kinvara-9/7149536826.html

Mizuno Wave Catalyst,sz. 8   https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/spo/d/seattle-running-shoes-mizuno-wave/7149529171.html

Newton Kismet, sz. 8   https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/spo/d/seattle-running-shoes-newton-kismet/7149514900.html

mention seattle prattle for an additional 10% off,

Yeah, I knew one person who had size 8 - he asked me to buy some Nike model size 8 because we had difficulties in our country with such a size for a man. Yes, he had size 8 and he was a man - but that's the only one I know with such small foot . Plus, for running you usually should buy a size bigger, that means the real size of that person should be 7. Yeah... I wonder if there is any big market for those men sizes, especially running shoes.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Yep, they are cheap shoes for a US 8/UK 7 and I’m pretty sure some females take advantage of those bargains.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

keeponrunning

Yep, they are cheap shoes for a US 8/UK 7 and I’m pretty sure some females take advantage of those bargains.

Some of us have no choice cause our feet are too wide for women's shoes.

I've had mixed luck with Sketchers.  We have an outlet near us.  Some I've gotten 300mi on comfortably (which I'm okay with for a $40-50 shoe), others like my current pair are garbage after <150mi.  I'm willing to gamble because I've had more decent pairs than crap ones.  I find they're roughly equivalent to Kinvaras for lifespan for a third of the price.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Bummer I would hqve totally bought those Bostons but am from out of the country. Shipping and tax would make it too expensive.

Anyhow didnt know the Kinvaras where this poor in quality! And one of my favorite knock knock type of jokes:

Do you know what they say about men with large feet?

No, what do they say about men with large feet?

Large feet, large socks!!!

Tah!

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

The_Real_JZ

the REAL JZ

Hoka ONE ONE Rincon and Clifton on sale now.  Runningwarehouse and Road Runner Sports.

Looks like Road Runner only has certain colors on sale.  Clifton 6 can be had for $103.95 and Rincon for $91.95.  I think pricing is the same at Running Warehouse but I get the add'l VIP discount at RRS.

Wish they would have told me about the impending sale when I bought Rincon's Saturday at my local Road Runner Sports for full price!

2019:  Run my first marathon.

"Who you are will show in what you do"

CalBears

I wonder how we got to the point where $100 for a running shoe (lifespan of a 6 months?) is considered a sale. It's pretty ridiculous. I know, it's a reality - but just like Mikkey said - I tried Skechers for $49 and though I like Hokas, I am not paying $100 for a similar shoe.

Another note - came this morning after a run just before 8am and saw text message from Nike that Alphaflys are in at 7am - checked the site - sold out in less than an hour - won't be surprised to discover later it was sold in 5 minutes  Crazy times... On all fronts...

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Cal I clicked exactly on time and the website crashed. When it rebooted, only the odd sizes were left. So I think it sold out of normal sizes in under 30 seconds.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

For shoe value, I like to compute cost per mile of use.

Let's say you get 350 miles of use out of a $100 pair of shoes.

That's 28 cents per mile.

For $120 shoes it's 34 cents. $150=43 cents. And for true savings; $50=14 cents.

I like to keep it less than 20 cents per mile. That's 250 miles out of a $50 pair, 500 miles out of a $100 pair.

More math: 1000 mile year is $200 with $50 20-cent-per-mile shoes, or 4 pairs. Or the average shoe of 350 miles and $120 cost would be 3 pairs a year for $360.

When you look at these annual shoe costs, it's really not a huge savings to get bargain shoes; a couple hundred dollars a year. Unless you're running more than 2000 miles a year, then it gets spendy. Knowing that, it's probably a good idea to spend a bit more to get shoes that you really like rather than compromise because of cheaper cost. Unless you run a LOT of miles.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Thanks for heads up. I've wanted to try the Rincon for a while but was waiting until I expected to do some faster running, but I had to bite at this price.

Hoka ONE ONE Rincon and Clifton on sale now.  Runningwarehouse and Road Runner Sports.

Looks like Road Runner only has certain colors on sale.  Clifton 6 can be had for $103.95 and Rincon for $91.95.  I think pricing is the same at Running Warehouse but I get the add'l VIP discount at RRS.

Wish they would have told me about the impending sale when I bought Rincon's Saturday at my local Road Runner Sports for full price!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

For shoe value, I like to compute cost per mile of use.

Let's say you get 350 miles of use out of a $100 pair of shoes.

That's 28 cents per mile.

For $120 shoes it's 34 cents. $150=43 cents. And for true savings; $50=14 cents.

You know, RA does that automatically for you.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I see the Nike React Infinity are on sale at $109 on the Runningwarehouse website, reduced from $160. That isn’t bad value as they’re a quality shoe and good for any type of workout imo. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

I've been a fan of Hoka Bondi 6.  I tried the Clifton 6 but I missed the extra cushioning of the Bondi 6.  My only complaint is that the toe box is narrower than I like.  Could someone give me some ideas of other highly cushioned shoes that would have more toe room?  I have very wide feet.  I looked on the clearance at Running Warehouse but wasn't sure of any good matches.  The Brooks Ghost seems to be fairly well cushioned but they label it as having a narrow toe box.

Thanks.

Personal Records:

5K - 20:07 ran in September 2021 (The second half split during the 10K run listed below.)

10K - 41:10 ran in September 2021

8 miles - 56:15 ran in November 2021

Half Marathon - 1:39:06 ran in September 2020

Jason, I'm a convert from ghost (many many years) to Bondi. Given what you like about Bondi, I would say that's the wrong direction. That's not to say it's a bad shoe I just don't think it's the one you want.

I've been a fan of Hoka Bondi 6.  I tried the Clifton 6 but I missed the extra cushioning of the Bondi 6.  My only complaint is that the toe box is narrower than I like.  Could someone give me some ideas of other highly cushioned shoes that would have more toe room?  I have very wide feet.  I looked on the clearance at Running Warehouse but wasn't sure of any good matches.  The Brooks Ghost seems to be fairly well cushioned but they label it as having a narrow toe box.

Thanks.

Jason, I'm a convert from ghost (many many years) to Bondi. Given what you like about Bondi, I would say that's the wrong direction. That's not to say it's a bad shoe I just don't think it's the one you want.

Thanks.

The Nike React Infinity Run Flyknit looks promising but it doesn't come in wide widths.

Personal Records:

5K - 20:07 ran in September 2021 (The second half split during the 10K run listed below.)

10K - 41:10 ran in September 2021

8 miles - 56:15 ran in November 2021

Half Marathon - 1:39:06 ran in September 2020

CalBears

When you look at these annual shoe costs, it's really not a huge savings to get bargain shoes; a couple hundred dollars a year. Unless you're running more than 2000 miles a year, then it gets spendy. Knowing that, it's probably a good idea to spend a bit more to get shoes that you really like rather than compromise because of cheaper cost. Unless you run a LOT of miles.

I forecast using 12 pairs of shoes this year (not to mention a racing shoe which is separate from training ones) - if I save $50 per pair, it's $600. If it's insignificant, then I don't know what it is.