Cheap shoe alert! (Read 1086 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Thanks.

The Nike React Infinity Run Flyknit looks promising but it doesn't come in wide widths.

They’re actually classed as a stability/injury prevention shoe by Nike! They have a naturally wide forefoot and are very roomy. I’ve got a couple of pairs...the first pair I got in my usual running shoe size and they’re probably a bit too roomy in the toe box for me, The second pair I went 1/2 a size smaller and they feel perfect.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

They’re actually classed as a stability/injury prevention shoe by Nike! They have a naturally wide forefoot and are very roomy. I’ve got a couple of pairs...the first pair I got in my usual running shoe size and they’re probably a bit too roomy in the toe box for me, The second pair I went 1/2 a size smaller and they feel perfect.

Yes, the injury prevention part really caught my eye.  Maybe I can get away with a regular size with your description of the forefoot.  Even with Hoka's extra wide model, I find the toe-box cramped.  At a sale price, I think it's worth a try.  Thanks.

Personal Records:

5K - 20:07 ran in September 2021 (The second half split during the 10K run listed below.)

10K - 41:10 ran in September 2021

8 miles - 56:15 ran in November 2021

Half Marathon - 1:39:06 ran in September 2020

Yes, the injury prevention part really caught my eye.  Maybe I can get away with a regular size with your description of the forefoot.  Even with Hoka's extra wide model, I find the toe-box cramped.  At a sale price, I think it's worth a try.  Thanks.

I got injured for the first time in several years as soon as I started wearing the Nikes.  I didn't want to blame them, but my orthopedist did.  The one-piece upper doesn't really snug up and the fit is a little sloppy.  I loved the underfoot feel, though.  I still wear them for shorter runs, even though I am pretty much anti-Nike since their treatment of their female athletes was revealed last year-  and the Salazar stuff.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Well, I took a chance and ordered them since the price was right.  I read lots of reviews.  Some mentioned Achilles pain from this model.  Hopefully I won't find that to be the case as my left Achilles occasionally gives me issues.  The heel issue is quite prevalent but most seem to adjust to it.  Others mentioned the roomy toe-box so that's a huge plus.   I'll report back when I've had a chance to see how my body reacts.

Personal Records:

5K - 20:07 ran in September 2021 (The second half split during the 10K run listed below.)

I forecast using 12 pairs of shoes this year (not to mention a racing shoe which is separate from training ones) - if I save $50 per pair, it's $600. If it's insignificant, then I don't know what it is.

You run MUCH more than I do!

I'll be lucky to see 1500 miles this year due to injury, work and illness.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

I've been a fan of Hoka Bondi 6.  I tried the Clifton 6 but I missed the extra cushioning of the Bondi 6.  My only complaint is that the toe box is narrower than I like.  Could someone give me some ideas of other highly cushioned shoes that would have more toe room?  I have very wide feet.  I looked on the clearance at Running Warehouse but wasn't sure of any good matches.  The Brooks Ghost seems to be fairly well cushioned but they label it as having a narrow toe box.

Thanks.

Have you tried the Skechers MaxRoad? The upper is accommodating for wider forefoot, and starts out bigger than Hoak (natch).  For my gait, I find the hyperburst stuff a magical cushioned+responsive combination. Even stomping down paved hills I haven't "maxed out" on the cushion. It's hard to "try" them, since stores don't stock them, though. If the Skecher running shoes ever get in the LRS so people could try them side by side with other brands, they'll take off. -end Skechers ad.

The_Real_JZ

the REAL JZ

I've been a fan of Hoka Bondi 6.  I tried the Clifton 6 but I missed the extra cushioning of the Bondi 6.  My only complaint is that the toe box is narrower than I like.  Could someone give me some ideas of other highly cushioned shoes that would have more toe room?  I have very wide feet.  I looked on the clearance at Running Warehouse but wasn't sure of any good matches.  The Brooks Ghost seems to be fairly well cushioned but they label it as having a narrow toe box.

Thanks.

Adidas Ultraboost have a roomy toebox.

2019:  Run my first marathon.

"Who you are will show in what you do"

Have you tried the Skechers MaxRoad? The upper is accommodating for wider forefoot, and starts out bigger than Hoak (natch).  For my gait, I find the hyperburst stuff a magical cushioned+responsive combination. Even stomping down paved hills I haven't "maxed out" on the cushion. It's hard to "try" them, since stores don't stock them, though. If the Skecher running shoes ever get in the LRS so people could try them side by side with other brands, they'll take off. -end Skechers ad.

I haven't.  They're marked down to $49!  This is the model you're referring to, correct?

https://www.runningwarehouse.com/Skechers_GOrun_MaxRoad_4_Hyper/descpage-SMR4004.html

Seems like I'll have to try them too!  I already ordered the Nikes but maybe having multiple models will help with injury prevention.

Personal Records:

I haven't.  They're marked down to $49!  This is the model you're referring to, correct?

https://www.runningwarehouse.com/Skechers_GOrun_MaxRoad_4_Hyper/descpage-SMR4004.html

Seems like I'll have to try them too!  I already ordered the Nikes but maybe having multiple models will help with injury prevention.

Yep.

That's fine if you don't mind dark colored shoes. I have the grey and the red pairs. Dark colored shoes are at least twice as heavy 

You run MUCH more than I do!

I'll be lucky to see 1500 miles this year due to injury, work and illness.

someone who runs about 12-15 hours per week (4.8k miles at 8min average pace) has a lot less time to spend his/her money on crap like the rest of us. The net balance should be positive no matter what you pay for your shoes

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

They’re definitely worth a go at that price and keep them for easy/recovery runs and the Nike for faster workouts on the road. I haven’t tried the MaxRoad 4 (can’t get them in the UK) but I have a pair of the Gorun Max Elite which are very comfortable with a decent amount of toe room.

https://runrepeat.com/skechers-max-cushioning-elite

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

someone who runs about 12-15 hours per week (4.8k miles at 8min average pace) has a lot less time to spend his/her money on crap like the rest of us. The net balance should be positive no matter what you pay for your shoes

I finally understood what you were saying . I guess there is certain truth to it - add the time when you come from your "a lot of running" and recover - also not spending nothing on anything.

But, talking about cheap shoes, I think I made a mistake with Skechers MaxRoad 4 - yesterday during 15 miles run my right foot, on the outside, almost killed me by the end of the run - all I managed to say last two miles - "oh, sh*t... oh, sh*t..." - it was so painful I do not remember anything like that except maybe how I felt after 32 miles training run at the Western States course. The discomfort started few miles into the run, it felt like it's getting hotter and hotter in that spot in the shoe, by mile 10 it started to hurt noticeably, by mile 13 it became unbearable and super painful - I had to change my stride to avoid putting weight on that spot (without much luck though) and also I tried to slow down a lot. Came home, checked the foot - nothing too visible, some redness in that spot, but still painful to walk. The shoe is really fu**ed up. Interestingly enough, my left foot had none of the problems the right foot had - I think there is some quality control issues in the outsole of the shoe - there is probably something inside that outsole that made my right foot get that bruise... I think I will have to send two pairs of the Sketchers I ordered back to runningwarehouse, actually maybe all three, even the one I wore yesterday - I cannot risk my foot testing another pair. And I am telling you - I've never had anything like that since the day I started more or less serious running in 2011.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

@CalBears:

Maybe try them with the insoles from a pair of shoes you're comfortable in. I've found that swapping insoles makes for an entirely different shoe. I have some old Brooks insoles in my MXRD-4. I didn't like the arch in the Skechers ones.

CalBears

@CalBears:

Maybe try them with the insoles from a pair of shoes you're comfortable in. I've found that swapping insoles makes for an entirely different shoe. I have some old Brooks insoles in my MXRD-4. I didn't like the arch in the Skechers ones.

That's a great suggestion - I will try that. I think the cushioning is great in those (the reason I bought them for) but there seems to be some inconsistency in the outsole so it causes the some impact on a foot in some spots. The insole definitely could change that - will try and see - I still have 90 days from warehouse to return the shoes.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Is your right foot wider than your left? I grabbed a pair of the women's and they are definitely narrow. The upper stretches a lot, but the actual sole portion is slim and I suspect I'm going to have issues on the lateral sides of my feet, particularly with my wider right foot. I typically wear men's shoes when women's wides aren't available (which is generally the case, aside from NB), but haven't seen anywhere that carries a men's 7, aside from Skechers site...and they are still full price, there.

That said, I have a pair of the GoRun Razor 3s that fit like they were made for me. Those are only available in a men's version, so RW carried those in the entire size range.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay