Cheap shoe alert! (Read 1086 times)

CalBears

Is your right foot wider than your left? I grabbed a pair of the women's and they are definitely narrow. The upper stretches a lot, but the actual sole portion is slim and I suspect I'm going to have issues on the lateral sides of my feet, particularly with my wider right foot. I typically wear men's shoes when women's wides aren't available (which is generally the case, aside from NB), but haven't seen anywhere that carries a men's 7, aside from Skechers site...and they are still full price, there.

That said, I have a pair of the GoRun Razor 3s that fit like they were made for me. Those are only available in a men's version, so RW carried those in the entire size range.

No, the feet are of the same width... As I mentioned, through 9 years of training I used dozens and dozens of different brands and models and never experienced anything like that. By the end of the run felt like at that spot there was no cushion but the hard ball of something...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

so it was the bottom of your foot? Not the side?

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

CalBears

so it was the bottom of your foot? Not the side?

Yeah, sorry, I see from my message I was totally unclear - yes, it was a bottom of the right foot almost at the end of the right side. Two days later I still feel it, not too painful but I decided to maybe give it another day before running again - will see how it feels tomorrow, maybe I will have to cut it short right away - right now it's not painful to walk but running is a different story. Again - sorry for being so unclear.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Well, I got my Nike React Infinity Run Flyknit shoes and today was my first run in them.  At first I wasn't sure as I sometimes have issues with my left Achilles and when I first put them on and just walked around, I seemed to notice that the left one rubbed that area.  However, once I actually ran in them, that didn't seem to be an issue. They seemed to mold to my feet as the run went on. They're not very stable or supportive but that's not a big deal on pavement of smooth dirt. Some have had issues with the heel.  I can't say I noticed any problems with that but more just a general lack of support when I had to corner sharply.  I noticed their being lighter than the Bondi 6's but still pretty cushioned. The toebox area seemed to be fairly wide even though they don't come in a wide model.  I wish it was a bit wider but I don't think it will be a problem.  My regular 10.5 size fit well.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with them especially at the sale price of $109.  Of course, it was only one run.  It happened to be my tempo pavement run.  My other weekly runs are done on dirt.  It's a smooth rail trail so they should be fine on it but it will be interesting to see.

Personal Records:

5K - 20:07 ran in September 2021 (The second half split during the 10K run listed below.)

10K - 41:10 ran in September 2021

8 miles - 56:15 ran in November 2021

Half Marathon - 1:39:06 ran in September 2020

I got my Skechers MaxRoad 4 Hyper shoes and did my first run in them today.  It's only one run but I'm not too impressed.  They felt kind of clunky on the dirt rail trail.  My main concern is that for some reason starting about halfway through my 9 mile run, something was digging into my left Achilles.  The area was even a little raw when I finished and I have some pain in the area as well.  My left Achilles is occasional problematic for me anyways so it's concerning.  I also had hotspots on the outer sides of both big toes.  They just felt too snug.  The sock-like upper part of the shoes doesn't allow for that much loosening but I'll try to do so some on my next run in them.

For $49 I probably won't try to return them.  Not sure if they'd even accept them after a dirt run of that length.

Personal Records:

5K - 20:07 ran in September 2021 (The second half split during the 10K run listed below.)

yeah those knit uppers aren't great on uneven terrain. Even on sloped side of the road my feet move around. Great on flat, though.

yeah those knit uppers aren't great on uneven terrain. Even on sloped side of the road my feet move around. Great on flat, though.

I'll try them on pavement next.  The rail trail I run on is pretty flat without much sloping but I'm curious to see how they are on pavement in comparison.

Personal Records:

I also think they run a little short. The sizing is tricky, because I wear a 10 or 10.5 depending on the shoe, which is normally EU 44 or 44.5. The MaxRoad for some reason is 1/2 EU size small; the US10 is 43.5 and the US10.5 is 44. My first pair were 10's and I thought they were too short (less than a thumb width between end of toes and end of shoe). My 10.5's are the right length but a little sloppy width. I wear thicker socks with them (Injinji Trail 2.0).

Since I've been able to run for about a week now, I've put more time in the Clifton 6. They feel soft enough, but kind of dead. The MaxRoad is definitely springier, and lighter. Clifton6 feels more "stable", my foot doesn't move around at all; but they ARE Hokas so they are narrow, and it isn't possible for my foot to move. I can really feel that Hoka pressure spot on the base of my little toe at the ball of the foot, where they are usually narrower than other brands. That's an annoyance, not a crippling problem. I wore Challengers across the Grand Canyon a few times, and Napali ATR for a 12hr race, and they both have that same fit.

I'll try them on pavement next.  The rail trail I run on is pretty flat without much sloping but I'm curious to see how they are on pavement in comparison.

First run today in the MaxRoad 4s (or Skechers of any kind). I think I kinda like the “sock-like “ uppers. I doubt I even need the laces. Coming from Saucony for the last few years what stood out to me was how the Max Roads seem to force a mid foot strike.

Also any idea what kind of mileage I can expect? I get about 275 road miles from a pair of Kinvaras.

npaden

First run today in the MaxRoad 4s (or Skechers of any kind). I think I kinda like the “sock-like “ uppers. I doubt I even need the laces. Coming from Saucony for the last few years what stood out to me was how the Max Roads seem to force a mid foot strike.

Also any idea what kind of mileage I can expect? I get about 275 road miles from a pair of Kinvaras.

I've been a little disappointed on how my MaxRoad 4's are holding up.  Just over 200 miles and I've had to use some shoe goo to keep some of the rubber attached to the sole.  From previous experience, once the little bit of rubber is gone the foam part of the sole will wear VERY fast.  I've developed a wear pattern on the outside edge of the heel area over the years with all of my shoes and that is more pronounced with these.  If you wear the sole evenly I think you would be okay.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

My first pair was about 250 miles before the rubber on one or two of the most used pods wore through. The midsole still feels great, there's just worn rubber on the outsole. Like npaden, I found that the hyperburst stuff wears fast once exposed.  Shoe Goo will definitely prolong the life of the shoe. Doing nothing, this is a 300-250 mile shoe. Using Shoe Goo when the rubber is almost worn through, probably 500+. The midsole doesn't seem to break down, and I've never had a Skechers upper go bad, even after retiring them to "chore shoes" for an additional year.

Re-Run

Misinformation Officer

This is helpful info. I’ve only got about 200 miles on mine, and they’re almost worn through, but still feel bouncy and great. I think they’re gonna get a protective layer of goo.

My first pair was about 250 miles before the rubber on one or two of the most used pods wore through. The midsole still feels great, there's just worn rubber on the outsole. Like npaden, I found that the hyperburst stuff wears fast once exposed.  Shoe Goo will definitely prolong the life of the shoe. Doing nothing, this is a 300-250 mile shoe. Using Shoe Goo when the rubber is almost worn through, probably 500+. The midsole doesn't seem to break down, and I've never had a Skechers upper go bad, even after retiring them to "chore shoes" for an additional year.

Runs like a dj mixing songs while wearing festive outfits.
                          5k PR 5/31/21 24:21 

10k PR 5/23 54:43

HM PR 1/2024 1:59:10

I notice that the Hoka Bondi 6 is on clearance at Running Warehouse.  I was able to find three colors that still had extra wide in my size.  I see the Clifton 7 is out but not the Bondi 7.  I'll be content to wait a year or more until the 7 is on sale and the reviews are in.

Personal Records:

an amazing likeness

I notice that the Hoka Bondi 6 is on clearance at Running Warehouse.  I was able to find three colors that still had extra wide in my size.  I see the Clifton 7 is out but not the Bondi 7.  I'll be content to wait a year or more until the 7 is on sale and the reviews are in.

Thanks for the 'heads up'.   Seeing the Clifton 7 out seems crazy quick to me, the Clifton 6 was/is a really good update from the Clifton 5, and I thought that was fairly recent.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

The Clifton6 hasn't sparked much joy for me. But I only have about 50 miles on them.

I'm still on the lookout for cut-rate prices on NB Rebel and Propel, since the first versions are discontinued, and Propel2 is already out. That FuelCell foam is superb.