Gluten free finds? Let's eat well! (Read 593 times)

obiebyke

Hey, Seems to me that more and more people are foregoing wheat and/or gluten. It's sometimes hard to find good gluten-free alternatives to our favorite carbs, though. Let's stick together and share our best finds. I'll start: --Quinoa pasta. SO much better than rice! --Trader Joe's gluten free granola. Protein breakfasts are back! I still haven't found a gluten-free bread that makes me happy. I miss me a good sandwich.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Unless you have gluten sensitivity, why would you forego gluten?
      obiebyke

A lot of people DO have an insensitivity. Plus, if you're feeling a little sluggish, cutting down or out the gluten can often raise your energy level. Why? Who knows. Ask my acupuncturist. Wink

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

1 in 300. Yep, that is a lot of people with gluten insensitivity. But that is not most people, by any means. And EVERYBODY in today's society feels sluggish or run down. One day somebody blames yeast. Another day somebody blames gluten. Yet another day somebody blames MikeyMike. Clearly, the American diet is screwed the heck up. We overproduce corn and try to sneak it into everything as HFCS. It is easier to get hamburgers (raised on some of that corn) than it is to get veggies, and our government subsidizes commodity crops that fatten us up before it does healthier alternatives. Diabetes and obesity is rising. We have no sidewalks. PE is now forever lost. And Mikey is allowed to post on fora. There are loads of reasons why we might feel sluggish. Gluten in the diet is not likely one of them. But please show me empiric research that shows otherwise, my mind is open. If you have gluten sensitivity, avoid gluten and enjoy all the great things nature has to offer: vegetables, fruits, greens, certain grains, cheeses, meats. Otherwise, go get a bag of whole-grain flour and make yourself some high-fiber bread. Wash it down with a beer. And I prefer massage to acupuncture Wink
          obiebyke

Trent, I completely agree with you that the American diet is messed up to the max, and gluten is possibly just the latest in a neverending string of nutritional scapegoats. I accept your challenge to find empirical data about gluten, but honestly, I probably won't find any in any medical journal. And that's fine. Even if my avoidance of gluten causes nothing but placebo effect, I'll take it. Certainly doesn't do me any harm! As for massage vs. acupuncture: I love a good massage, but I really think I owe my ability to run at all to acupuncture. I have chronic Lyme disease, and before acupuncture, I could barely walk some days because the arthritis was so bad (and I'm a thin 25-year-old!). And I had high fever after high fever. Since starting acupuncture 8 months ago, I haven't had even ONE fever, and I'm not only walking, but RUNNING! Works for me. And again, doesn't do any harm. P.S. Where did you get the 1 in 300 stat? Just curious.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

1 in 300 from online medical sources. Does it jive with what you know? And I agree, your avoiding gluten will not harm you or others. And creating and sharing recipes to make things from scratch or from wholesome sources is way good! BTW, there is a recipe group here at RA: http://runningahead.com/groups/AtoZRecipes/. Come on by! I'd be interested to see what you learn in your search. Glad to hear you are running!
              obiebyke

Thanks for the invite, Trent! I'll keep you updated.

Welcome obiebyke! If you find/ have some recipes that you'd like to share in the AtoZ Recipes Group, feel free to create a thread (Gluten Free, etc.) for whatever category you'd like and don't already see! Great to have you here! Smile

flatland mountaineer

1 in 300. Yep, that is a lot of people with gluten insensitivity. But that is not most people, by any means. And EVERYBODY in today's society feels sluggish or run down. One day somebody blames yeast. Another day somebody blames gluten. Yet another day somebody blames MikeyMike. Clearly, the American diet is screwed the heck up. We overproduce corn and try to sneak it into everything as HFCS. It is easier to get hamburgers (raised on some of that corn) than it is to get veggies, and our government subsidizes commodity crops that fatten us up before it does healthier alternatives. Diabetes and obesity is rising. We have no sidewalks. PE is now forever lost. And Mikey is allowed to post on fora. There are loads of reasons why we might feel sluggish. Gluten in the diet is not likely one of them. But please show me empiric research that shows otherwise, my mind is open. If you have gluten sensitivity, avoid gluten and enjoy all the great things nature has to offer: vegetables, fruits, greens, certain grains, cheeses, meats. Otherwise, go get a bag of whole-grain flour and make yourself some high-fiber bread. Wash it down with a beer. And I prefer massage to acupuncture Wink
                    Right now not alot of subsidy in any crop as market prices have risen, back when crop prices were depressed and subsidies were higher, wheat and corn were subsidized similar amounts. The HFC segment of the corn market is pretty small compared to Livestock useage. But I totally agree with your views on gluten sensitivity and the lack of physical activity in American life. By the way Kansas City March Hard Red winter wheat made all time record highs this month, bummer that I sold mine in August. Smile

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

I made a gluten free beer once that came out all right, but it wasn't as good as my light recipe or my cherry stout or most of my other successes. I have family with a gluten sensitivity, and man I hope that I never get one. If a crumb even touches my aunts food (and is removed) she could end up in the hospital. Her daughter isn't quite as bad yet, but probably will be when she's her mother's age. Bread is too large a part of my diet to forgo it. I try to mix up my meals and will take meals out of just about any diet, but I don't think that most fad diets are actually all that good for you so I avoid them. When you eat is more important than what when it comes to exercise performance. (I'm going on the assumption that most of the people here are relatively healthy.)

Run to Win
                      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I made a gluten free beer
                        No you didn't. You made gluten free alcoholic drink. Wink