More Science of Sport discussion on barefoot running (Read 2796 times)

xor

Really?

So how fast can you walk. 7MPH for me is easy. Peak speed was 9.5 MPH.

Yes.

I'm really not causcasian.

As for walking speed, I do not know. Your speeds are very impressive.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

I can tell that from your pic. I say "Caucasian" as its the academic term for what I call shoe wearing cultures.

We all learn in biomechanics that running is nothing more than power applied to walking. So I went to find the world's best walkers and that's how I found the story of the Kenyan women's load bearing efficiencies. The fact that Kenya is home to such good runners, as well as good walkers (along with other Eastern African Tribes) and the cheetah all coming from the same neighborhood from my view had to have a connection. Under Nike's sports research lab's supervision, I was able to test my thesis with a variety of runner's skill and consistantly validated that a runner's skill could be improved with only an hour or two (depending on how quick they got it) of instruction.

I tested the load bearing skills with our fire dept. Ten guys walking on a treadmill in running clothing and then teaching them how to walk like the Kenyan women. They were able to learn how to carry 60lbs of basic equipment (clothing, boots, axe, oxygen bottle and helmet) with the same heart rate as walking without it.

Under Nike's supervision, I took runner's heart rate measurements at 6MPH (for base study rate) and removed them to teach the Kenyan walking technique. The results were a 20% average reduction in heart rate for the identical speed and incline of initial measure. One of the study participants "unofficially" was able to run 27% faster than what she stated was her previous peak speed.

How to do it is what I'm only looking to share.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

No.  Really, they aren't.  Not even kind of.

"He's got huge, sharp -- he can leap about -- look at the bones!"

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Feeling the growl again

And I don't know what you're doing this summer, but I'm training a collegiate football team...

What I'm doing this summer is running a heck of a lot faster than you.

Joe Paterno is training a collegiate football team too, and he doesn't know a damn thing about distance running.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

xor

I say "Caucasian" as its the academic term for what I call shoe wearing cultures.

I see.

I wear shoes.

Feeling the growl again

How to do it is what I'm only looking to share.

How do you found time between working the phone sex lines, cleaning out the booths at the gentlemen's clubs, and wiping down the treadmills at the hotel?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Run like a dino. Whatever Trex was doing, he did it wrong. He's extinct.

Except you don't study T-Rex, do you...

http://www.suite101.com/content/ostrich-may-be-related-to-tyrannosaurus-rex-a201472

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

sport jester

Biomimeticist

How do you found time between working the phone sex lines, cleaning out the booths at the gentlemen's clubs, and wiping down the treadmills at the hotel?

Funny that you can't figure out the article was written in 2001....

This is 2011 if you've finally stopped drinking...

xor

"Dr. Lawrence Witmer, a paleontologist at Ohio University, said that if scientists could examine unfossilized tissues there was potential for extracting DINA. He added, "It's very exciting." "

Stevie Ray Lopez, a runner from Seattle WA, disagreed.  He added, "No, really it isn't."

xor

I do, however, appreciate that one does not extract DNA from dinosaurs.  Instead, one extracts DINA.

Do you know where else one might find DINA?

In the kitchen.

Strummin on the banjo.

No, not that one.  The old one.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

What I'm doing this summer is running a heck of a lot faster than you.

Joe Paterno is training a collegiate football team too, and he doesn't know a damn thing about distance running.

Given a football field is only 100 yards long, its the sprinting and agility skills I'm teaching...

And I'll gladly race you. Minimum 100 miles...

sport jester

Biomimeticist

"Dr. Lawrence Witmer, a paleontologist at Ohio University, said that if scientists could examine unfossilized tissues there was potential for extracting DINA. He added, "It's very exciting." "

Stevie Ray Lopez, a runner from Seattle WA, disagreed.  He added, "No, really it isn't."

But if you're a football player who needs to chase down an opponent, its hella fun to watch them do it.

xor

Given a football field is only 100 yards long, its the sprinting and agility skills I'm teaching...

And I'll gladly race you. Minimum 100 miles...

Two things:

1. This isn't a sprinting and agility board.  If this was, you might be getting a better response.  As it stands, you come off kind of strange.

2. I'll race you 101 miles.  Pick the time and place.  I'm completely serious.

xor

Billy Clanton: Why, it's the drunk piano player. You're so drunk, you can't hit nothin'. In fact, you're probably seeing double.
                              [Billy Clanton draws a knife]
                              Doc Holliday: [takes out a second gun] I have two guns, one for each of you.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

I well understand this isn't a sprinting board, and that's my point.

As to a distance race, I'd be up for it...

I live in Portland. Are you running hood to coast by chance?