Therapeutic Trail Run (Read 550 times)

I had a interesting run yesterday. I had this nagging piriformis injury that has been bothering me for a while. Our running group started a trail run every sunday, and I thought I'll try that (I ran limited trails last year but recently not enough time to drive to the trails). These guys run insane mileage, but I thought I'll just do 1 loop to their multiple loop plans. Anyway I ran 9 miles yesterday on pretty hilly, technical terrain and even though I am pretty sore today, I am not feeling the Piriformis. I had a similar epiphany last year as well with another nagging injury. I think trail runs where you are forced to run a overall slower and varied pace and where you use your muscles differently should be in everybody's training regime if they have access to a trail. Thanks for letting me share.
    invisible

I had a interesting run yesterday. I had this nagging piriformis injury that has been bothering me for a while. Our running group started a trail run every sunday, and I thought I'll try that (I ran limited trails last year but recently not enough time to drive to the trails). These guys run insane mileage, but I thought I'll just do 1 loop to their multiple loop plans. Anyway I ran 9 miles yesterday on pretty hilly, technical terrain and even though I am pretty sore today, I am not feeling the Piriformis. I had a similar epiphany last year as well with another nagging injury. I think trail runs where you are forced to run a overall slower and varied pace and where you use your muscles differently should be in everybody's training regime if they have access to a trail. Thanks for letting me share.
      Agreed. Trail running is my passion. I only do short runs through the woods right now, because running through 18 inches of snow is a brutal, brutal workout. However, to keep the leg conditioning, I go out of my way to run on uneven snow and ice, rather than on cleared asphalt.
      90 percent of the game is not giving up.
        I think trail runs where you are forced to run a overall slower and varied pace and where you use your muscles differently should be in everybody's training regime if they have access to a trail.
        The constant variation in muscle use is a huge benefit of trail running for me - twists/turns, up/down, etc. Much more fun than spending more time stretching.Wink I'll snowshoe run when the snow is soft, snowshoe hike or xc ski if deep.
        "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

I think that trail running should be an important part of any long distance runner's training plan. I started getting back onto the trails last year, and my injuries went away and haven't come back since despite running higher mileage than I had been for the previous few years. I get onto the trails once or twice per week, which right now means running through the snow. You might want to take a look at these articles: Trail Running 101 Trail Running for Road Runners

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)