Blaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh (Read 1036 times)

JakeKnight

2 WEEKS? Yikes. How long with no running if its a stress fracture?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
    -----------------------------

Now that was a bath...

Trent the pain is in my tibia. IT's the right leg that is injured and it hurts on the inside of the leg about two inches above my ankle bone. Do you think that it is ok to wait two weeks and see if it heels before a bone scan or should I accept something sooner? They have offered me this option but I was hoping to avoid extra appointments unless they were necessary. Modified to reply to my monkey Smile If it's a stress fracture anywhere between 6 weeks and 6 months. She said her opinion was if it is a stress fracture then it is on the mild side and hopefully will be the shorter end of that scale. Claire xxx
    • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
    • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
        Yikes - Claire, like Trent said. Those are exactly the specifics that ruled out a stress fracture for me. I was also told that it would be 6 - 8 weeks if it was a stress #, but that any pain free cross training would be OK( depends on your doc) Sending lots of good wishes for fast recovery (for whatever you have) your way Smile Did they test you with a tuning fork on your leg? The vibration will go to the "spot" if it is a stress fracture - not fool proof, but another low cost way to get closer to a diagnosis...

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
        Thyroid Support Group

Oh Claire, I'm sorry to hear that! If I may share my own recent experience, I was diagnosed with a stress fracture the first week of December. Because it was in my 5th metatarsel I had to use crutches and wear a boot for 5 weeks. At the 5 week point the pain hadn't subsided (and it should take bones 6-8 weeks to heal) so I got sent for an MRI, which showed nothing. The doctor I was seeing couldn't figure out what was wrong so last week I finally got it together to get a 2nd opinion. Well, I went today and the new doctor thinks that it's a nerve issue that can be fixed with over-the counter orthotics, an anti-inflammatory drug, hot/cold foot baths and PT and that I can start running again in about a week and should be pain-free in about a month (hopefully). The point is that he told me if I had seen him first he would have done the MRI right away (and maybe I wouldn't have lost 8 weeks and a HM). 2 weeks isn't that long to wait, you'd probably have to wait 1/2 a week here just to get an appt. for a bone scan. But from experience, I wouldn't wait any longer for the bone scan if you're still in pain. I can see how having to stay still for so long with a bone scan might be a challenge with your kids along for the appt. Smile Good luck and I hope it's only a shin splint! Shaunna
          Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I agree that they should do an MRI or bone scan. Why wait? Trent would know this better than me, but stress fractures are hard to diagnose properly without doing an MRI. How DO you find time to run?

Finished!

Gads, while I wouldn't wish shin splints on anyone, I would think they might be better than a stress fracture as long as you can get them under control! Chenille - I'd never heard of the tuning fork thing! how sick is it that I want to go find one and see what it feels like?
              Walk + Jog = wog.
              I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
              I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

As I left the clinic the women behind the counter asked how on earth I found the time to run when I was so busy. I gestured at the children and said 'I'm running away' Clowning around Claire xxx
                And now you see why I stopped at 1 kid. Your description of your doctors visits was like my trips to the doc with my son in tow...ack! Claire, I really hope whatever ailing you is just very temporary. I would definitely have the MRI or any other test to determine whether or not it really is a stress fracture at work. If it's not, then you can figure out what treatment options you really need to concentrate on. (((HUGS))) k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Froggy13

Hi Claire, What a pain up the a**e for you!! I haven't been on for a couple of days (birthday parties and hyper kids!!!) anyway I thought you would have had your 4 days off and back to it good and rested, I 'm so sorry to hear of your poorly leg!! It's a shame I don't live nearer you I would gladly look after your tribe while you went to the docs etc. I do love the way you describe your expeditions with your children though, you put a smile on my face Big grin!!!!! Will it be any easier next week whent the schools go back? Do you get any you time at all to go to an appointment? I hope you get it sorted soon. Take care, be good!!! Lynxx

Prophet!

maybe its time to put that competitive fire into racing cars...you might make the best rally car driver out of New Zealand Smile . Seriously, hope you'll get better and kick ass again soon. Aloha, steve
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

maybe its time to put that competitive fire into racing cars...you might make the best rally car driver out of New Zealand Smile
                      Dude, that is my DREAM job! Claire, if you do this can I be your partner? I'm really good at reading maps...can I drive once in a while, too? I'm already skilled with a 5-speed manual (that's all I drive)! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wow. That is quite a story. I hope it all heals up well and that you're back to running soon.
                        "Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' " - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Now that was a bath...

Hmmmmmmmm - that's an idea. Do they let you race cars without a driver's licence? Actually I just booked my test, it's on Valentines day, very romantic. Evil grin Lyn - I wish you lived closer too now! I'll get through it. It might be easier next week as if I time it right I will have Jake at school and I can maybe get the little one asleep in the pushchair on the way there. I don't reckon that i'll be any good for the March 25th race now but I'll save my energy for future races. Claire xxx
                        • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                        • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.