So, I have this non running buddy that tells me a story (Read 485 times)

SheCan

It doesn't sound unbelievable at all if he's in above average shape, i.e. not a complete couch potato.

A fair amount of 25 year olds could do this.  Much, much fewer 55 year olds who are not runners.  This is a prove it sort of thing.  If he could do it once without being in shape, he should be able to do it again with witnesses.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

This is a prove it sort of thing.  If he could do it once without being in shape, he should be able to do it again with witnesses.

Two weeks is plenty recovery time.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

A Saucy Wench

I know three non runners who did marathons straight off the couch. Absolutely no training. One of them did a sub 4

I'm not saying I believe him. Just that it is possible. My guess is his route measurement was way off

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Dream Maker

act

Highest likelihood:  He thinks he ran 10 miles but it was not actually 10 miles.  Or, he miscalculated his time.

Possibility: He lied. For those odd reasons People lie.

Possibility: He has a lot of talent and it'll be pretty awesome in the future.

I know people who have been running for some time and can't do 9 minute miles for 10 miles, so I don't think it just takes, not being a coach potato.

But, I also know it's not impossible because I know people who started running from being a coach potato and can do more than others who have been running a while...

I wouldn't doubt him, I'd just offer to go on his next 10 mile with him!

SheCan

I wouldn't doubt him, I'd just offer to go on his next 10 mile with him!

LOL, yeah, I suppose this would be the "not be a jerk" sort of way to do it.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

BeeRunB

I just ran a sub 20 minute twelve miler!  I heaved after, but it was worth the accomplishment. Donations accepted to help pay for my hip replacements needed due to this gargantuan effort...

Splitsahol:

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

There it is, in black & white & bluish!

I just ran a sub 20 minute twelve miler!  I heaved after, but it was worth the accomplishment. Donations accepted to help pay for my hip replacements needed due to this gargantuan effort...

Splitsahol:

At  5'9" and 140 to 160 lb and a decent athlete that does something - cross fit, swimming, cycling xc skiing - not at all impossible but at 185? I could actually see 10 min miles or so.

(that said does anyone believe that 14 the past two weekends at 7:40?). 56. Prolly not, but whatever.

bap

I don't think that's unbelievable.

Certified Running Coach
                    Crocked since 2013

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I'd question either his veracity or the accuracy of the course.  I could see 10K in 90 minutes, but not 10 miles in 90 minutes, At the same age and after 34 years of running with a lifetime best of about 59 minutes, all I could manage for 10 miles was a shade under 8 minute pace on perhaps the flattest, fastest 10 mile race in the country.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

jpdeaux

I call BS on the heaving. Why would you heave when your HR never went above 84? And why that dramatic slowdown the last few miles? Finish strong next time! I'd suggest some tempos at about 1:20 pace to build up your cardio engine, and perhaps a few miles a week of speed work at 50-54 seconds per mile to fill out your top end and finishing kick. Are you in the 3-400 mile/week range yet, or just low 200's? Anyway, good luck. Your doing great.

Splitsahol:

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

A. Who really gives a hoot whether he ran a 90 minute 10 mile?

B. Even if we did give a hoot, it is totally possible. Just because you would not be able to do this does not mean he cannot.

C. Many folks equate "9 minute miles" with 9:00-9:59 min/mile, so your precision and his precision may differ.

SillyC

act

Highest likelihood:  He thinks he ran 10 miles but it was not actually 10 miles.

That's what I'd guess.  When I started running, I had no.freaking.clue how to guess at how far I'd run.

BeeRunB

A. Who really gives a hoot whether he ran a 90 minute 10 mile?

B. Even if we did give a hoot, it is totally possible. Just because you would not be able to do this does not mean he cannot.

C. Many folks equate "9 minute miles" with 9:00-9:59 min/mile, so your precision and his precision may differ.

D. Hootie Hoo!  (Gomer)

E. Could be metric minutes.

F. And you may find yourself hanging in a silly thread,  And you may find yourself in another stupid-ass poll, And you may find yourself inside a chat about a large monkeymobile, And you may see yourself as a beautiful man, who spews beautiful prose, And you may ask yourself "Well...why do I post here?"

G. Tall tales truly tantalize typically trusting trackmen

CT JEFF

Paul Ryan said in an interview that he ran a sub 3 hr marathon when he was about 4:05. Prompting the creation of this calculator. http://www.paulryantimecalculator.com/

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!