What time do you run? (Read 834 times)

adiaz16

I have been running at 5 am for awhile now, only in a gym ( at our local complex, so no one is there) because i am too scared to run outside by myself ( i know, i'm a wus) but would love to start running outside and enjoy it more....so tell me what time do you do your runs, if the morning, how did you get over the fear? (if you had it to begin with)

Just Be

I run whenever, but I prefer not to run in the mornings simply because my performances are consistently slower in the early morning. Most of the time I run in the afternoon to evening, but twice or three times per week I'll wake up at 5 am to go meet a friend at 6 and run. I've never really been scared of running outside at any time of day, I guess because I'm a guy and as such don't get harassed by creepy men and also in large part to the fact that I've always lived in very rural and relatively safe areas. The scariest thing for me at night are the deer and racoons and stray cats... I worry about them more than a criminal lurking in the bushes, etc.

Just Be

Where do you live? Right now where I live when I go out at 5 am to run the sun is just starting to come up and most of the time it makes for great entertainment... at least for me. Tongue
        adiaz16

i live in charlotte nc, it is still pretty dark at 5. yeah, if i was a guy i probably wouldn't be so afraid. i know there are lots of people who run outside in the morning by themselves, maybe i'll just have to try it and see how it goes........ and i have to convince my husband i'll be safe Roll eyes
          Ringmaster

I can sooooo relate, because I was stuck on a tm for a long time for just this reason. I got over the fear by . . . and this is going to sound stupid . . . just doing it. Seriously, I planned some things well so that I felt like I was being smart about it. I don't park my car in the same spot all the time and I don't run the same route all the time, b/c I don't like to be predictable. I go late enough that it's not pitch black out. I go out in neighborhoods where it's safe and well-lit. I wear a blinky light. Things like that. To some degree I am less afraid now that I've done it a little more, but I do think you need to stay alert. I'm on the road at about 5:45 most days.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
            Mile by Mile

Kind of like Runner92 - Being a guy, never really thought about it much....but during the heat of the summer I usually run around 5:45am or so....i really hate morning runs but its the only time that it isnt too hot....so I do it.... As soon as the weather cools down a little, I will run at lunch time (i am fortunate that there is a shower close by that I can use and I work on an old closed army base, so there are lots of trails and road that I can run on) so that is my preference.........Evenings work, but lots of things tend to get int he way in the evening. Can you find someone to run with you?? -- someone that needs a little motivatin to get started that can be a training partner?? Do you live in an area that so you 'really' dont have to worrry or in a tougher area for which you must be concerned?? If you live in a normal suburban housing area, you probably dont really have anythig to be afraid of.....but I understand, there are place my wife wont go just because she doesnt feel comfortable by herself...

Champions are made when no one is watching

Just Be

Even better, convince him to run with you! Cool Where I live at this time of year it is sometimes too hot for me to run during the middle of the day so I'm forced to run after sunset when the temp starts to drop. But usually I'll only do that if it's above 95 with greater than 70% humidity. If you live in a rural neighborhood that is pretty safe than running outside shouldn't be much of an issue, but you might want to carry some sort of defense mechanism like some sort of debilitating spray.
                adiaz16

i would love for him to come with me....but someone has to stay at home to watch our 2 yr old Smile .... the area i live in is pretty safe as far as i can tell, i do have pepper spray i could carry with me, i think i am just going to have to just get out there and do it and stick to well lit areas.. thank you all for your responces, it has made me feel better!

Just Be

Just heed all the normal running safety tips such as well lit areas like you've said, don't use headphones (or if you must, listen to the music at a volume that lets you easily hear normal speech), wear reflective clothing, always be aware of your surroundings, vary your day or time or route to avoid being predictable, stand up tall and look confident to avoid being profiled as an easy victim, use common sense, etc. The world is a big place and there always exist the possibility of being attacked, but in most cases - especially if you live somewhere that most would describe as "pretty safe" - nobody will attack you. Good luck and stay safe! Smile
                      Because of the heat in the summer, I have started to run at either 5:30 or 6:00. Because I'm only in high school, my parents have told me to bring my cell phone with me on my runs (even if it's in the afternoon) so I can call them if I am in trouble.
                        Hey Julia,,,,,How can I get my son 16 and daughter 14 to get out of bed and go for a run???? I cant convince them that running is good and cross country is fun.... They are both good runners

Champions are made when no one is watching

a 220 or 440 volt power line might do the trick....

Just Be

I just remembered that there was a time when I got too scared to finish a run outside! Was visiting family in Mississippi and staying at a house right in the middle of a 96 acre farm. All the stuff going on during the day kept me from running, so at night I decided to go run down the dirt roads that cut through the property. Well, there was a new moon that night, really low humidity and no clouds, so basically the only light I could see after going out of sight of the house was the stars in the sky - I coulnd't even see my own feet - no joke. So I took a flashlight and tried to go run but kept hearing all sorts of noises and started to freak out about upsetting some animal with all my noise and the flashlight and it attacking me. I made it about 1/4 mile that night, combined out and back distance. Big grin
                            adiaz16

I just remembered that there was a time when I got too scared to finish a run outside! Was visiting family in Mississippi and staying at a house right in the middle of a 96 acre farm. All the stuff going on during the day kept me from running, so at night I decided to go run down the dirt roads that cut through the property. Well, there was a new moon that night, really low humidity and no clouds, so basically the only light I could see after going out of sight of the house was the stars in the sky - I coulnd't even see my own feet - no joke. So I took a flashlight and tried to go run but kept hearing all sorts of noises and started to freak out about upsetting some animal with all my noise and the flashlight and it attacking me. I made it about 1/4 mile that night, combined out and back distance. Big grin
                              that had me laughing! i can only imagine what that would be like!

Just Be

It was great for stargazing, not so great for running! The next night I took out their ATV and rode around till almost midnight... it was still scary but very fun!