Cruise Intervals (Read 894 times)

Double IPA Please!

Talk to me about these. What are they used for? Are they similar to a tempo? When would one employ these?

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

Talk to me about these. What are they used for? Are they similar to a tempo? When would one employ these?
      They help raise your lactic threshold, which is probably the most important of all the systems (for lack of a better word) we use in long-distance races. I would say that they are similar to tempo, but slightly faster and broken into segments. You can use them in place of tempo runs or as a supplement virtually year around. At your mileage I'd say that 3 miles worth is about right. Here a couple calcuators where you can enter a race time and it will give you cruise interval paces plus a bunch of other stuff. Fwiw I use them or similar a lot and believe that they are a big difference maker. http://runworks.com/calculator.html http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/Running%20University/Article%201/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm
      Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
      mikeymike

Best bang-for-your buck workout out there.

Runners run

Hawt and sexy

These are a tool used for peaking. When is the race you are peaking for? I would assume it is a 5 or 10k for this type of interval. 6 or 8 weeks away from that race you would start any interval workouts you have planned. Of course this is from a woman that peaks quickly on any interval training and cannot sustain that peak for very long. I would not do cruise intervals year-round. Now striders are a different story....

I'm touching your pants.

mikeymike

Cruise intervals are definitely not a peaking workout. The pace is not intense and the volume is not super high. Great for year round, great for transitioning from base into harder workouts.

Runners run

Dave

I thought this article provided a nice explanation: http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/rununiv/training/training4.htm

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Imminent Catastrophe

Cruise intervals are definitely not a peaking workout. The pace is not intense and the volume is not super high. Great for year round, great for transitioning from base into harder workouts.
                Exactly. They're really good for easing into speed workouts with less chance of injury. And very effective.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Double IPA Please!

Okay..thanks! I have been doing them occasionally and from the looks of what you guys have said I have been doing them correctly.. I have used McMillan's site to help give me an idea of pace doing most of my training.

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I've recently started using them. Like others have said, you get a lot of bang for your buck and it's one of the more important systems for longer distance racing. I've been following Daniels' intermediate blue plan with a bit of extra miles thrown in on the weekend for a few weeks now. For now, cruise intervals are my favorite workout. Currently I'm doing 3 x 1mile w/1 min rests and 6 x 1000m w/ 1 min rests A question for the more experienced folks regarding Daniels. Sometimes his rests just say "rest", other times he says "E Pace". If he prescribes E pace running, that's obvious. But if he uses the term rest, I typically walk through the break. Correct? Incorect?