Avoiding bleeding nipples (Read 165 times)

morphex

Hi. I had a good run today, where I tried out a tight-fitting, not very flexible polyester t-shirt:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B27Ef8OgSrP/

Where I afterwards saw I had been bleeding. The shirt transported away water well, and made the shorts soaking wet.

I have sports tape I can put on my nipples, any other suggestions?

Regards,

Morten

On Instagram at https://instagram.com/morphexx

On Twitter at https://twitter.com/blogologue

Blogging at http://blogologue.com

I've used circle Band Aids for years with 100% success.  I use them for every run, no matter how long or short.

I recommend buying the 'Band Aid' brand rather than another brand -- the 'Band Aid' adhesive works great and I've never had a band-aid come off, not even after a 20 mile run when I'm soaked with sweat ... I live in Florida, so that pretty much describes 90% of my runs.

When I've tried to use other brands, they fall off within 3 or 4 miles.  So, I'll stock up on the Band Aid circles and buy 5 or 10 boxes when the price is right -- I can live with spending about 10 cents per run to avoid the nasty burn:

Amazon for $2.24 a box

PRs5K 19:41 (5/2017)  10K  45:27 (1/2017)  10m  1:10:41 (4/2017)   13.1  1:36:00 (6/2017)  26.2  3:31:58 (10/2017)

I recommend buying a role of Transpore tape...the same stuff they use to hold an IV in place.  Tear off little squares...stays on just fine for me and way less expensive than going through boxes of bandaids.  Not always the best to take off but then again, you don't want it to fall off easily.

kcam

Circular bandaid fan myself, but I only use them for a rainy long run or a marathon or half marathon race.  Other runs, even dry long runs, don't bother me at all.

berylrunner

Rick

Shirtless.

Different shirt.  I like cotton.   Hate tech wear.

Looser shirt.

Body glide.

Conditioning.   Eventually they will toughen up.  I can cut glass with mine.

Seems like any type of bandaid or tape will fall off.  Ever been a race sweeper?  Disgusting.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

morphex

Well, I'll try the tape suggestion first. Because that's the kind of tape that can be used for other things as well. I have some patches for corns that I might never get to use, that was a waste.

Guess I need to find a good pair of shorts as well, as the one I used was quite heavy, as was the boxer shorts underneath.

On Instagram at https://instagram.com/morphexx

On Twitter at https://twitter.com/blogologue

Blogging at http://blogologue.com

Seattle prattle

i read about this stuff in a cycling message board when researching what to use for road rash.

I've used it for many years for nip guards, simply cutting it into ovals with a scissors. One roll will last you a lifetime, and they stay on for about a week.

Hypafix: https://www.amazon.com/Hypafix-Retention-Tape-Yard-Roll/dp/B0009Q2PE4/ref=sr_1_5?crid=35NXDO2SEW40U&keywords=hypafix+tape&qid=1569630017&s=gateway&sprefix=hypafi%2Caps%2C210&sr=8-5

This is a big problem for me. Besides no shirt, the solution that works best is Body Glide or its much cheaper competitor Gold Bond Friction Defense. I use about 10 strokes per as it wears off a bit during runs.

I've used band aids, they always seemed to fall off near the end of long runs, e.g., 10 miles or more.

My $.02

Best,

LRB

I've used circle Band Aids for years with 100% success.  I use them for every run, no matter how long or short.

I recommend buying the 'Band Aid' brand rather than another brand -- the 'Band Aid' adhesive works great and I've never had a band-aid come off, not even after a 20 mile run when I'm soaked with sweat ... I live in Florida, so that pretty much describes 90% of my runs.

When I've tried to use other brands, they fall off within 3 or 4 miles.  So, I'll stock up on the Band Aid circles and buy 5 or 10 boxes when the price is right -- I can live with spending about 10 cents per run to avoid the nasty burn:

All of this (except the Florida part and the occasional time or two when I've forgotten them).

If Meijer or Target is out of the Band Aid brand, I leave and don't buy anything.

LRB

Circular bandaid fan myself, but I only use them for a rainy long run or a marathon or half marathon race.  Other runs, even dry long runs, don't bother me at all.

I can sometimes go weeks without them without issue. Long, short or medium runs no problems, and then one day step into a shower after running for an hour and scream like the dickens. There is no rhyme or reason to it. Shirt material, conditions, nothing. So I'll usually just leave them on for three or four days just cuz.

rlopez

Man, I don't even want tape to stay on my nipples for a week.

Anyway, trail toes or squirrels nut butter or blue steel.

I only have problems with longer/rainier/sweatier runs. I just use Body Glide, which seems to help, but is not enough for the longest/rainiest/sweatiest ones. I’ve never been able to get band-aids to stick, but maybe using the wrong ones. Or maybe it’s the hair getting in the way. Haven’t seen those posted above, until just the other day when LRB in fact posted the same pic in our user group here, in response to me raising this subject. Anyway, incidentally just yesterday I ordered these. Maybe just expensive band-aids, IDK, we’ll see. A guy who used to be on these forums used duck tape. That’s gotta be fun to pull off.

Dave

grapes

I cut little circles out of cloth-like medical tape. I've had the same roll of tape lying around for years and years now. It still works fine for me. I've run 50Ks with the stuff and it still wasn't anywhere near coming off. This is only for long runs; body glide is enough for me for anything up to a half marathon or so. Assuming the OP is talking about a shorter run, getting a different shirt might be the first priority.

Quickadder

A guy who used to be on these forums used duck tape. That’s gotta be fun to pull off.

Duck tape works well for me! Just need to use postage stamp size pieces. Helps that I don’t have a hairy chest.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Different shirt.  I like cotton.  

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19)