Top Inspirational Runners (Read 1226 times)

bojangles

I think you're referring to this video of Michael Stember winning CIF 1600 in 1995

Bingo. Thanks for posting that.

Buelligan

I'm inspired not so much by the people who are good at running and are famous for it, but more by the people who'll never win a race or even a medal in their AG and stay dedicated to it.  I used to see this guy who was always a midpack finisher at races I entered, but he always had a smile on his face and he stayed for the medal presentation and cheered for everyone.  I liked that guy.  He wasn't fast, he probably didn't run more than 25 miles a week, but he was a great runner.

Terry Fox was an amazing individual. He was a canadian distance runner who had one leg amputated due to cancer, he had always ran and didn't let this stop him he ran cross country in Canada for 143 days stopping only for sleep and eating, in order to raise money for cancer research. Here's a quote from good ol Wikipedia

"Although the spread of his cancer eventually forced him to end his quest after 143 days and 5,373 kilometres (3,339 mi), and ultimately cost him his life, his efforts resulted in a lasting, worldwide legacy. The annual Terry Fox Run, first held in 1981, has grown to involve millions of participants in over 60 countries and is now the world's largest one-day fundraiser for cancer research; over C$500 million has been raised in his name."

+1  Great memories of Terry Fox.  I remember "EXACTLY" where I was when I heard he died.  (I think I was 8 years old)
        London, Ontario, driving by the Husky restaurant with the huge flag on hwy 401.  Every time since then, when I see that flag at that restaurant, I remember Terry Fox.  Since I now live 1200 miles from there, it takes a post like this to remind me of what reminds me of Terry Fox.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Lynx

Wow people, a great thread. Keep 'em coming! ... I'm itching to tie my shoes and run now.

bojangles

Another amazing feat.... Heather Dorniden's 600m 2008 big10 championship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70UF82nysIU

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Stanford runner Alicia Follmer

Alicia Follmer

...tripped and was trampled, got up to finish 3rd.

Hollie S.

Merry Christmas!

Stanford runner Alicia Follmer

Alicia Follmer

...tripped and was trampled, got up to finish 3rd.

Totally crazy! Don't think I would have what it took to finish.

I wish I was as young as I look in the forum picture! But I'm not. :(

1)  Terry Fox.   -  Saw that movie as a kid and perhaps that movie planted a seed of determination that sat unwatered (in me at least) for decades....

2)  Forrest Gump.  -  Yes, I know it is fiction, but that movie put in me the idea of running long distances.  Note I say "idea" as I never put it into action until 2010, but it was Forrest Gump in mind as I started doing ever longer 'long' runs.   I have no plans to run across America (Or Canada) at this point, but I think running across my home state of Virginia will suffice for me. 

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Surely Haile has to get a mention? Brought up in rural Ethiopia in poverty. One of ten kids, he ran 10km to school and back every day. Quite possibly the greatest distance runner we'll ever see - he's had major wins and records at events from 1500m through to the marathon. He does a lot for people in Ethiopia through the businesses and charities he's involved with. Everyone who meets him says he's a really nice guy.

novastrider

Terry Fox was an amazing individual. He was a canadian distance runner who had one leg amputated due to cancer, he had always ran and didn't let this stop him he ran cross country in Canada for 143 days stopping only for sleep and eating, in order to raise money for cancer research. Here's a quote from good ol Wikipedia

"Although the spread of his cancer eventually forced him to end his quest after 143 days and 5,373 kilometres (3,339 mi), and ultimately cost him his life, his efforts resulted in a lasting, worldwide legacy. The annual Terry Fox Run, first held in 1981, has grown to involve millions of participants in over 60 countries and is now the world's largest one-day fundraiser for cancer research; over C$500 million has been raised in his name."

+1.  I remember watching Terry Fox's marathon of hope.   this guy ran a marathon every day on one leg until the cancer returned, forcing him to stop.

running since 2010. PR: 5k 21:44, 10k - 44:33 42.2k - 3:51 2013 Goals 5k - sub 21:00, 10k - sub 45:00, 21.1k - 1:45, 42.2k - 3:20

Resident Historian

Another vote for Terry Fox.  Absolutely amazing.

I saw him in Oakville during his run, and I've stopped by the memorial near Thunder Bay where he was forced to stop.  I wasn't a runner at either of those times.  I'd like to go back and run those last miles north of Superior some time.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

run2thehills

rebuilding r2th v2.0

My favourite is Team Hoyt - Dick and Rick Hoyt

I ran past them this year in Boston - see below. Yes that was inspiring especially knowing they would be out there so long in the heat.

Mmmmm...beer

Team Hoyt inspired me before I even started running, amazing story.

Another amazing feat.... Heather Dorniden's 600m 2008 big10 championship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70UF82nysIU

Being new to running, I'm still learning who's who, but I watched this video a few months ago and was blown away.  Awesome determination.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/ohio-runner-stops-state-final-aid-fallen-opponent-100722161.html

On Saturday Jun 2, 2012, West Liberty-Salem (Ohio) High junior Meghan Vogel won a state title. Incredibly, that might not even be what she or anyone else remembers most about her day at the Ohio Division III track and field state meet, because she later committed one of the most selfless acts of the year on the track: She stopped running the 3,200-meter final to help along a foe who had collapsed just 20 feet from the finish line.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

SubDood

Terry Hitchcock -- I met Terry at a strip mall a few years ago. He was selling his book, "A Father's Odyssey," and I bought a copy from him. I am a fellow Minnesotan, but was somehow not aware of his story at the time it happened. He ran from Minneapolis to Atlanta for the start of the Olympics in 1996. He did this at the age of 57, averaging over 26 miles a day for 75 consecutive days, to raise awareness for the plight of single parents. He was not a "competitive" runner, but certainly an inspirational one to me. I had quit running after the 1996 Twin Cities Marathon, and only got back into running about 2 years ago -- meeting Terry was one of several events that convinced me to get back into running.

Dave Wottle -- I was 7, and I vividly remember watching the 1972 Olympics with my entire family huddled around the TV. We all laughed when we saw Dave Wottle getting ready for the 800 meter finals wearing a goofy-looking golf cap. (Even without the hat, he looked a bit like Napolean Dynamite.) We laughed even harder once the race started and he was in a distant last place for most of the race. There was a HUGE gap between Wottle and the next closest runner. Then we all started to cheer as he began to pass other runners one by one. When he crossed the finish line, just edging out the last guy to win gold, we were all jumping up and down and yelling like crazy. I've never cheered that hard for another runner since.