Tendon straps? (Read 612 times)

Recently, my knee(s) have begun to get a little sore on my longer runs. Has anyone heard or or used the 'cho-pat' straps or the 'Knee Pro-Tec Patellar Tendon Strap'? Do these work? Are they worth trying?
      Well, nobody replied to this, but in case anyone is still viewing this, I will reply to myself! I began wearing Cho-Pat knee straps a couple of weeks ago. I always wear them on my long runs now - not always on shorter runs. They have made a huge difference - my knees do not get sore anymore, and I feel very comfortable during and after my runs. So, at least for me, they worked great.

Prophet!

i have had knee soreness on longer runs (10 +) earlier in my still very young running career and i just chalked it off as the body complaining about the increasing mileage..i just backed off the mileage a bit till they feel fine and then ramp the mileage up again (slowly). I chose not to use a knee strap because i would rather not get too dependent on them and instead have my body adjust to the workload slowly.
        derek

I chose not to use a knee strap because i would rather not get too dependent on them and instead have my body adjust to the workload slowly.
          I think that's good advice. When I first started running, I started to get pain in the my right knee so I started to wear a strap and it eliminated the pain completely....for a while. The pain eventually came back and just wouldn't go away even when wearing the strap. I eventually stopped wearing it and now, when my knee hurts, I slow down a bit. I'm at the stage now where I get only very mild discomfort while running (usually after 3-4 miles) and once I slow a bit, it goes away. I've run 10 miles each Sunday this month and by the end of the run, my knee is pain free. I think that the strap doesn't allow your tendons to strengthen and you become very dependent on it. I'm happy I chose to stop wearing it and based on the progress I'm making, I expect my knee pains to go away completely in the next several weeks.

Derek