RevitaPump LX7 vs. RecoveryPump RP vs. NormaTec MVP (Read 61 times)

bhearn

Anyone have any experience with any of these? They are all pneumatic systems to flush blood and waste products from your legs, to speed recovery. You put on these inflatable boots / leggings, and a pump inflates them, section by section, starting from the bottom and working up. They're like compression gear, but active. They cycle, letting fresh blood in and getting the crap out. So the theory goes. How much they actually aid recovery, vs. say just compression socks, I can't say.

RecoveryPump had a demo tent at Way Too Cool 50K yesterday, and I tried them out after the race. They felt WONDERFUL. I didn't want to take them off. I was basically sold, but decided I'd better do my homework first when I got home. They're expensive ($1,095 with the race discount).

And... turns out there are two other similar systems out there. RevitaPump is less expensive; NormaTec is more expensive. It's hard for me to evaluate the pros and cons. The NormaTec does look the most sophisticated (and has lots of pro athlete endorsements). None of them seem to have product manuals online. There are a few comparison reviews, but I couldn't find anything really convincing.

Some factors are

* Tech – NormaTec seems the best, in terms of how the pumping works (more peristaltic). Not sure between RevitaPump and RecoveryPump.

* Weight / portability – NormaTec seems to weigh a fair amount more than RecoveryPump. But still somewhat portable.

* Sizing – RecoveryPump boots come in 5 sizes. My wife and I would probably need different sizes; that's an extra $500. For NormaTec boots, the smallest size is "up to 6'3" ", which would serve us both... but likely not as specific a fit. Whereas I know the right RecoveryPump size (for me).

* Noise – NormaTec is supposedly much quieter than RecoveryPump. I didn't really notice the noise when I was using the RecoveryPump. But then, I was paying attention to how good they felt.

* Battery – RecoveryPump RP needs AC; a much more expensive unit (RPX) has an internal battery. You can get an external battery for the NormaTec. Obviously not needing AC would be an advantage immediately after a race.

* Other – all also offer core sleeves and arm sleeves, for extra $$$. I might be interested in the core sleeve.

Links:

http://www.revitapump.com

http://www.recoverypump.com

http://www.normatecrecovery.com

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

They sound like those gizmos that hospitals use to prevent DVTs...or the gizmos that lewd spam promises will enhance your sex life.

bhearn

FWIW, I just ordered a NormaTec, A rep contacted me, answered some questions, and offered me a discount.

SubDood

FWIW, I just ordered a NormaTec, A rep contacted me, answered some questions, and offered me a discount.

Will you provide a review of the product after you've used it awhile? I'd put more stock in your analysis and comments than in any of those pro athlete endorsements.

bhearn

Will do. But it will still be just one more anecdote. Really I feel a bit silly; it doesn't seem that there's any solid science that this type of recovery improves performance. But everyone agrees they feel GREAT.