Looking for 14 training miles in Chicago, IL (Feb 1) (Read 121 times)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Going to be in Chicago on Saturday for my long run (4mi + 10mi @ MP).  I'll be on W. Adams near the Central Loop.

I was thinking about the shoreline path, but at the expected 15F, I wouldn't mind a little more shelter from the wind.  Also wouldn't mind something with some rolling hills -- though not a "trail".

I don't mind taking the L somewhere.

Suggestions?

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Latent Runner

Going to be in Chicago on Saturday for my long run (4mi + 10mi @ MP).  I'll be on W. Adams near the Central Loop.

I was thinking about the shoreline path, but at the expected 15F, I wouldn't mind a little more shelter from the wind.  Also wouldn't mind something with some rolling hills -- though not a "trail".

Suggestions?

Rolling hills?  In Chicago?  Pretty funny.  Smile

I lived in the Chicago area between 1980 and 1993, and other than a comment from a fellow runner who asked, "Hey, who put this hill here?" while we were running up one of the on-ramps to Lake Shore Drive during the Sun Times Triathlon, the only hills I remember were way north of Chicago on Sheridan Road in the Lake Forest area.

Maybe you can get permission to run the stairs on on of the buildings down in the loop.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
      • 2-mile: 13:49
      • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
      • 5-Mile: 37:24
      • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
      • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
      • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

Rolling hills?  In Chicago?  Pretty funny.  Smile

I lived in the Chicago area between 1980 and 1993, and other than a comment from a fellow runner who asked, "Hey, who put this hill here?" while we were running up one of the on-ramps to Lake Shore Drive during the Sun Times Triathlon, the only hills I remember were way north of Chicago on Sheridan Road in the Lake Forest area.

Maybe you can get permission to run the stairs on on of the buildings down in the loop.  Smile

Agreed.... if you want some rolling hills,  you'll have to drive a bit. A place called Barrington Hills is where many go for their hilly runs and rides.

Latent Runner

Agreed.... if you want some rolling hills,  you'll have to drive a bit. A place called Barrington Hills is where many go for their hilly runs and rides.

Geez, I forgot about Barrington; I lived in Hoffman's Mistakes back in the early 1980s and used to run up there.  Good call.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

hmm.  okay, I guess rolling hills are out.  Other suggestions?

Latent Runner

Lower Lower Wacker to Lower Wacker to Upper Wacker, and back down and back up and back down?

Fat old man PRs:

Feeling the growl again

If you are near downtown, and don't want to do a lot of stopping running the streets, the lakeshore path is about your only option.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

If you are near downtown, and don't want to do a lot of stopping running the streets, the lakeshore path is about your only option.

okay, was afraid that might be the case.

One of these days (probably soon) I'm going to need to find out how Chicago people train . . . and where.

Latent Runner

One of these days (probably soon) I'm going to need to find out how Chicago people train . . . and where.

I did my running training for my triathlons on the cinder path along the lake north of Fullerton.  That said, I haven't run that path since 1992 or so and I don't know if it even exists any longer (it seems all of my favorite non-pavement running paths end up getting paved).

Fat old man PRs:

Along the lake front.  Which is why many struggle in hilly races.

Latent Runner

Along the lake front.  Which is why many struggle in hilly races.

That would explain why my fellow competitor was complaining about running up the Lake Shore Drive ramp.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

Joann Y

Suggestions?

Lake Shore Path is a possibility although wind and ice might make a marathon pace run difficult. I might suggest trying Humboldt Park. It's flat of course, but you can do 2 mile loops  -  Division to North Ave to California to Kedzie back to Division, etc. - without any lights. There is also a hill on the west end you could maybe utilize (maybe more for repeats) . If you have GPS you could run through the park and around, etc.  You could bus or cab there (or even 2 miles short of there to get your warm up.  If you want more detail let me know. It is a pretty park and might be worth it. I can give you any information you need on bus/El combinations, etc. I live near there (although out of town at the moment) so I could easily give you info on good food, bars, etc too. Let me know .

Not all of your runs need to be on hilly courses.  I am fortunate to live in the northwest suburbs and have some hills but if you didn't you just do some hill repeats on the treadmill.  There is no reason a flat lander can't run a hilly race well except for being lazy.

If you are in Chicago, definitely run the lakefront.  It is scenic and there are a lot of runners out even in the winter.  On most Saturday mornings local running groups put out water all year round.  It is worth dealing with the wind.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Okay, maybe a little late for this: but does anyone know of a running group doing something Saturday morning in that area (or subway stop within reach)?  I wouldn't mind contact the local run-leader and asking about icy footing.  The cold/wind I'll just deal with.

Joann Y

Okay, maybe a little late for this: but does anyone know of a running group doing something Saturday morning in that area (or subway stop within reach)?  I wouldn't mind contact the local run-leader and asking about icy footing.  The cold/wind I'll just deal with.

•  If anyone knows any good running groups in Chicago, please, list them. I'm only aware of some random meet-up groups and an  ultra group (New Leaf Ultrarunners -  you at least might  contact for information on conditions - google them, they have a facebook page and website.) Otherwise, wouldn't hurt to contact the local running stores for possible info on conditions (Fleet Feet for example). All these groups probably have Saturday group runs (including the running stores possibly), but I don't suspect that they are running at your level.