Freud as Philosopher (Read 996 times)

Scout7

I think we're saying the same thing. Here. The Isaac stuff starts at Gn 22, the other errands around 20.

Yes, we are in agreement.  I was also trying to push the discussion into the realm of how can we ever be certain of anything in life, much less of the conversations we have with people whom we have never met.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

(Oops, didn't mean for this to respond to the quote.)

Message boards may be God's preferred means of communication these days.  Now, which of us is the Voice of God?

Ostrich runner

Yes, we are in agreement.  I was also trying to push the discussion into the realm of how can we ever be certain of anything in life, much less of the conversations we have with people whom we have never met.

I believe current research suggests solipsism is best defeated, even if certainty is not achieved, by psilocybin.  

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Scout7

I believe current research suggests solipsism is best defeated, even if certainty is not achieved, by psilocybin.  

Is that a fancy way of saying "copious amounts of fine single malt scotch"?

Ostrich runner

Is that a fancy way of saying "copious amounts of fine single malt scotch"?

No, but scotch has been shown to increase my certainty about all types of topics. And make me headbutt those that still frustrate me.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Consider that God never intended for Isaac to be killed (as born out by the story), and that perhaps Abraham -- having trusted the God who promised him many generations through Isaac -- knew this.  

In the Eastern understanding of the Bible (an Eastern document), Isaac was a type of Christ.  Thus, in any scenario, Isaac comes out alive.  

We in the West consider everything in completely material terms, so concepts like typology and resurrection from the dead are rejected, almost out of hand. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Why is it sideways?

First off, I was intending to be light and humorous in my tone... Anyways, I realize later that  all this is very serious business for most, so I probably shouldn't have been joking around.

Secondly, Kierkegaard is a Very Serious Christian (believe it or not, it is possible and sometimes even a duty to criticize a belief system from within it) and actually I take all of the questions I have been asking to be from within a Christian perspective. Which is why I was doing it light-heartedly... they are not so important for me.

Why is it sideways?

So if Kilimanjaro would ask that question he's an idiot, or else needs to seek to understand Christianity a bit better before he starts asking questions.

I'm sorry, but this is pretty much the dumbest statement I've ever read. (oh shit, maybe it IS impossible to love one's enemies.)

Kierkegaard is a Very Serious Christian (believe it or not, it is possible and sometimes even a duty to criticize a belief system from within it)

Yes, and bringing it back to the article: "Freud counseled that a much neglected aspect of maturity is the ability to tolerate ambivalent feelings, to be able to eschew dividing the world into white and black hats."

You originally asked about how it related to message board posting.  I often have ambivalent feelings about the things I post and the "side" I am joining, and even about taking sides. Life is so dynamic. My beliefs (about my abilities, my obligations, my potential) are always changing as I interact with the world and myself.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Just a dude.

Well, when it comes to having a twisted Rottweiler of a conscience, I guess in some ways I qualify when it comes to message board posting.

I don't know how many times I read something, have something to say, type it all out... Then pause, wonder about what I wrote, realize that no one really cares what I have to say anyway, and then don't hit the post button. To me, then, it feels like I've said it even though to everyone else I haven't. I'd say I only post 20% or less of what I write.

I don't know how that fits in with Freud or Kierkegaard or Jeff or Beef or even God... /shrug 

So maybe I should't click the Post button again... Wink

As for my point of view on Abraham, the incredible part for me is his certainty that he heard from God. Was his experience drastically different from most people today, or was his faith / sensitivity that much higher?  If I had a dream to kill my son, I'd blame whatever I had for dinner the night before. If I saw the clouds part and the face of God speak directly to me, how could I not obey? (And even then I would look carefully to see if there wasn't some elaborate prank going on.) But it doesn't look like that's what happened with Abraham. 

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Feeling the growl again

I'm sorry, but this is pretty much the dumbest statement I've ever read. (oh shit, maybe it IS impossible to love one's enemies.)

Coming from someone who posts 50% illogical BS, I'll take that as a compliment.  This from the man that claims the American consumer to be a "valuable commodity".

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Hey, nice marmot!

(oh shit, maybe it IS impossible to love one's enemies.)

I suppose it is impossible.  Once you start loving your enemy, can they still truly be considered an enemy?

Or, Lincoln said it better:  "I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends."

And Abraham (Jewish Abraham, not the President) didn't have it so bad.  God told him to murder his son but didn't even make him actually go through with it.  Look at what he made Job go through, and that was just to prove a point to the Devil.  By comparison, Abraham got off light.

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

Now there is some medication for you.

Why is it sideways?

Kilimanjaro is a "he"? Man, this thread might be out of my depth.

Runners run