Freud as Philosopher (Read 996 times)

xor

Kilimanjaro is a "he"? Man, this thread might be out of my depth.

Version #1: Well, his name isn't Kilimanjara.

Version #2: Well, his name isn't Kiliwomanjaro.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Or, Lincoln said it better:  "I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends."

Oh dang, I thought for a moment I had said something wise.

Why is it sideways?

Half of the people can be part right all of the time
        Some of the people can be all right part of the time
        But all of the people can’t be all right all of the time
        I think Abraham Lincoln said that

xor

As Mark Twain once said, "no matter how you slice it, it's still bologna."

Why is it sideways?

In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.

MT

Why is it sideways?

So, "Kilamanjaro" thought that those who were certain of their belief could not have faith. It was only those who struggled with it, challenged it, found it contradictory, irrational, and even impossible that had a true relationship with God that "counts." Those for whom Christianity was cut and dry have no faith relation, according to him. To put it bluntly, insofar as you know that you have faith, you are failing in your duty to God. That's what K thought.

Maybe he was wrong about that. I sorta think he's right, but I have a temperamental tendency to side with the doubters. Others will see it differently.

I apologize to spaniel for calling the post dumb that said that Kierkegaard should read up on Christianity. That was impolite, if not untrue. It probably also wasn't the dumbest thing I've ever read on the internet. That was an overstatement. Subtle readers will realize that my offending post was also half-ironic in nature, intended to performatively demonstrate a prior point. 

Now I have made my peace with the Rottweiler of conscience. The snarling super-ego has been satiated with a warm platter of remorse, apologetics, explanation, and confession. For better or worse, as he sleeps and digests, this meal will only make him stronger, and he will return to exact another bundle of the soul all too soon.

Until then, fair runners, sleep tight.

(feel free to tally this post under the header 50% BS.)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I think it was Toto who said: "The wild dogs cry out in the night as they grow restless longing for some solitary company. I know that I must do what's right sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti. I seek to cure what's deep inside, frightened of this thing that I've become."

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Kilimanjaro is a "he"? Man, this thread might be out of my depth.

You misspelt height.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

So, "Kilamanjaro" thought that those who were certain of their belief could not have faith. It was only those who struggled with it, challenged it, found it contradictory, irrational, and even impossible that had a true relationship with God that "counts." Those for whom Christianity was cut and dry have no faith relation, according to him. To put it bluntly, insofar as you know that you have faith, you are failing in your duty to God. That's what K thought.

Maybe he was wrong about that. I sorta think he's right, but I have a temperamental tendency to side with the doubters. Others will see it differently.

I apologize to spaniel for calling the post dumb that said that Kierkegaard should read up on Christianity. That was impolite, if not untrue. It probably also wasn't the dumbest thing I've ever read on the internet. That was an overstatement. Subtle readers will realize that my offending post was also half-ironic in nature, intended to performatively demonstrate a prior point. 

Now I have made my peace with the Rottweiler of conscience. The snarling super-ego has been satiated with a warm platter of remorse, apologetics, explanation, and confession. For better or worse, as he sleeps and digests, this meal will only make him stronger, and he will return to exact another bundle of the soul all too soon.

Until then, fair runners, sleep tight.

(feel free to tally this post under the header 50% BS.)

First, seek to understand.  Somewhat tired but valuable management saying.

My post was narrowly scoped to say that he should read up on Christianity if he would ask the question that you put in his mouth.  That question, and the context you add above, are different, and I don't necessarily believe the latter would lead him to the former.  They are related but not the same.  As I indicated one never does live up to the ideal here on earth, with or without God's help, God's intercession does not make us perfect Christians here on earth.  This point is distinct, therefore my comment was distinct,  from K's assertion that one must struggle etc with belieft to really have faith. 

The overly dramatic butchering of his name was to emphasize that, unlike quoting Einstein on physics, Jefferson on interpretation of the Consitution, or Watson on molecular biology, K is just another dude with an opinion and an interpretation on an issue that countless others have analyzed and came up with different -- and perhaps equally valid -- opinions on.  Unlike the above examples, his name does not necessarily put a gold stamp on it.  It's a very soft issue.  Perhaps this was too subtle, implied a personal attack, and instead elicited a knee-jerk defense of him.  Actually I see merit in his opinion...I and many others may not agree 100% but I see merit in his argument.  I have witnessed some who have gone from blind faith, to questioning and even moving away from it, to coming back stronger than before due to their struggles and challenging of it.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Why is it sideways?

Thanks for the lesson on message board communication, spaniel. I hope someday to be able to seek to understand as well as you.

Your pal, Jeff

joescott

Kierkegaard would ask you, Joe, whether or not this really counts as living up to the Christian ideal, since you received the assistance of God, who as we know can do all things effortlessly and so it turns out to be no biggie.

Hi Jeff, I'd very much like to respond to your statement here because it is a really really good question.  The short answer is:  no, it doesn't count.  And that is totally OK.  The whole of Christianity turns on this idea that we are unworthy sinners incapable of living right before a Holy God and that our only hope is that God supplies us with His righteousness and His power to live righteously, and we do so out of a response of love (not duty) back toward a God who has demonstrated His love for us. 

So, in the final analysis, when I stand before the throne of God and He points out to me that all the truly righteous (good, pure, loving, selfless) things that I have ever done in my life I have only done in His power and with His help, I will say YES!  That is right!  Before the throne of God *I* on my own have nothing that counts.  Zilch, Zero, Nada.  My only hope is that I have accepted His offer of grace and mercy with faith.  As spaniel said, it is all about grace -- undeserved favor and mercy.  This is why you will read in the Apocalypse that the saints will throw their crowns down before the throne of Christ.  This is why Jesus says that in the end we will only say, "We were unworthy slaves."  Or as Paul put it, "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me.  The life I now live in the body I live by faith in the Son of God who loved me and gave Himself for me." 

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Feeling the growl again

Hi Jeff, I'd very much like to respond to your statement here because it is a really really good question.  The short answer is:  no, it doesn't count.  And that is totally OK.  The whole of Christianity turns on this idea that we are unworthy sinners incapable of living right before a Holy God and that our only hope is that God supplies us with His righteousness and His power to live righteously, and we do so out of a response of love (not duty) back toward a God who has demonstrated His love for us. 

So, in the final analysis, when I stand before the throne of God and He points out to me that all the truly righteous (good, pure, loving, selfless) things that I have ever done in my life I have only done in His power and with His help, I will say YES!  That is right!  Before the throne of God *I* on my own have nothing that counts. 

Exactly....you didn't live up to the Christian ideal while on earth.  Nobody ever will.  That was exactly my point and what makes the question Jeff put in K's mouth off target.  A very narrow point that made the question irrelevant, was all I was getting at.

Jeff, not surprisingly you haven't changed.  Even after a supposed apology you have to come back in the next post and be a sarcastic ass.  Your record of being unable to deal with dissenting opinions without flipping your gourd, getting personal, and generally being unable to accept that others who think differently are entitled to their opinion and may have a different perspective with makes that position rational is unblemished.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Hmm. I tallied that apology under the 50% BS column.

Feeling the growl again

Hmm. I tallied that apology under the 50% BS column.

Hence "supposed". 

Glad the avatar's back.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Glad the avatar's back.

Yeah, Happy Halloween, and try a different gel next time, Tanya.