Anybody else sick? (Read 725 times)

Bugs

Came down with bronchitis starting March 6th. Was bed ridden for 5 days. I just have no energy. Today I had to take a nap in the storage room at work. I can't believe I am still sick. Would you go to the doctor? Anybody else want to vent? I had been working so hard to build up my miles and now all my hard work is slipping away. makes me so sad.

Bugs

Rest Rest Rest - your body needs to recuperate. You'll be out there running again soon Smile

Bugs

Rest Rest Rest
        Does that mean don't run? Smile Because I've been running with little walking breaks. I lay down for awhile, and feel fine but get exhausted quckly. Yesterday I ran 4 but the rest of the day stayed in bed. I am hardly coughing and only have a minor cold. Loosing my base sucks Sad Am I really going to get better if I don't run?

Bugs

NO - dont run. you have to surrender and let your body do the recuperating it needs to do. if you go out running you will only tire yourself and tire your body so that it will take longer to fight the infection. trust me, i had this a couple of weeks ago and it really screwed up my running. I got so used to not going out as much that I am finding it hard to get back into the swing of things. but you really need to just rest it out. and the cough stayed with me for a while, fyi

SMART Approach

You can be active within reason. If you don't have a fever, you can run but all slow runs. Walking breaks are great. Obviously, you need to drop your miles and intensity. Try to listen to your body and not push. Make sure you are nutritionally sound and getting 8 hours of sleep.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

March has sucked. We've been through: diarrhea (x2), ear infection, pink eye, common cold (cough, fever), sinus infection, vomitting. I'm done. Through. Ready to give in. Daycare has kicked our collective asses.
                Daycare has kicked our collective asses.
                Daycare is brutal. Only one of my children went through daycare and it wasn't until then that our family got to experience so many different sicknesses; pink eye (many times), hand & foot disease, strep, lots of colds which led to lots of ear infections, stomach bugs (once, 5 of us had this at the same time, my husband didn't want to come home from work that day!), sinus infections, etc. I finally took my youngest out of daycare for 6 months and found another center and from that point on he did much better. This year we've been kind of lucky. My youngest (who tends to be the one to get sick anyhow), had a relentless virus with a fever that lasted 8 days. I had a version of that same bug with a low fever for about 4 days. Youngest also had ear infections twice. Other than that, our house has been pretty healthy this winter so I can't complain really.

Michelle

The Greatest of All Time

I had a chest cold that stayed with me for 3 weeks and probably because I trained through it. Typically if I am NOT running a fever I keep running, but if I spike a fever I rest. Once I get consistently over 60 miles per week I have to really up my secret collection of supplements to keep my immune system in shape.
                  all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Bugs

I am sick of this tightness in my chest and coughing. Sick of it. Feel so bad for people with asthma..could not imagine. This cough will go away right?

Bugs

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yes, but you may need steroids and a puffer, just like folks with asthma. If you have coughed for more that 2-3 weeks, time to get it checked out.

Bugs

Thanks Trent, Doc gave me Pro-Air inhaler 10 days ago but it is not helping. I made an appointment for Monday to see my doc; waiting for him because he's a runner and will not give me hell for running through this. Sometimes I'm fine, other times I wheeze like someone with asthma - not fun. Thanks again!!!

Bugs

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks Trent, Doc gave me Pro-Air inhaler 10 days ago but it is not helping. I made an appointment for Monday to see my doc; waiting for him because he's a runner and will not give me hell for running through this. Sometimes I'm fine, other times I wheeze like someone with asthma - not fun. Thanks again!!!
                          Albuterol doesn't always work all that great for me, either. One of these days I'm going to ask my doc if it's worth trying one of those powdered inhaleable things. The Albuterol is freaky $$, anyhow.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Albuterol treats the symptom. Most folks who need albuterol for an acute illness really need a steroid (pills or shot, not inhaled) to treat the underlying inflammation.
                              Anyone run when you have a low grade fever? I really haven't checked mine, but I can tell that I'm "warm", in the sense that I have to take off my top layer shirt to cool down. Also, got a sore throat, but when I run I actually feel better for awhile, then I get sleepy. 2/5 of the kids in our house have the same thing.
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Albuterol treats the symptom. Most folks who need albuterol for an acute illness really need a steroid (pills or shot, not inhaled) to treat the underlying inflammation.
                                What about for EIA? I do have occasional asthma issues when my allergies are particularly bad, but most of my problems come on with exercise. What's the most useful treatment in that situation? I'm on Singulair (for both asthma and allergies), but I'm not sure that it really does a lot, either. Both the inhaler and the Singulair help, but not as well as I had hoped.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay