Good luck Long Run Nick (it's payback time) (Read 875 times)

Our friend Nick got off to a rough start at RA, but true to form he continued to post (at a nice steady pace) with equal parts experience, encouragement and humor. He's got a marathon this Sunday, so if you're a member of Nick's Army now's the time to return a favor. Run tall, race hard and finish strong Nick!

E.J.
    Greater Lowell Road Runners
    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

btb1490

Go Nick! A full report is mandatory! Thanks for the heads up, Ed!
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Bring it on LRN! Make us proud!!
        Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Go LRN! Big grin

TRUST THE PROCESS

Freerunner

Good Luck NICK! We are all cheering you on for this Sunday! Big grin
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Woot! Which race is this, LRN?! I hope you have great weather and an even greater race! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Lazy idiot

Good luck in your race, Nick.

Tick tock

Race well, Nick.
                  jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Good luck, LRN. HTFU!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

JakeKnight

Whatcha running?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------

Best of luck, LRN!
                          Best of luck Nick!!!!!!!!!! Have a great run!!!!!!
                          Goals:HM <2:30:00 htfu encourage my dh to get out of his recliner. htfu="" encourage="" my="" dh="" to="" get="" out="" of="" his=""></2:30:00 htfu encourage my dh to get out of his recliner.>

jfa

Getcha popcorn ready!! And hide the children!!! ShockedFast and Long Nick is coming to town!! Cool

Another Passion

GO LRN!! What race is he running Ed or Nick, iffin you peruse this thread, which you should since it's about you. Modified to add (as stolen from Mikey): Run like your hair's on fire or you stole something!! Big grin

Rick
                              "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                              "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                              runningforcassy.blogspot.com

GO LRN!! What race is he running Ed or Nick, iffin you peruse this thread, which you should since it's about you.
                                I'll let Nick's post suffice for now, until the man himself (hopefully) puts in a personal appearance:
                                I am curious to to get some opinions on pacing a marathon. You would think after 15 3/4 marathons and numerous ultras I would have this figured out. I am running a marathon on 2/3/08 and hope to break 4 hrs. My plan is to go out around 9:10-9:15 for the first 10 miles or so and then begin to gradually pick up the pace and finish under 4 hrs. I ran the same marathon last year--Tallahassee--flat fast course and did 4:07. Trained well (50-60 milesper week--over a 1,000 miles of LHR) and was very fit for the Huntsville Marathon. At mile 2 I knew it wasn't my day--HR was 12-15 beats higher and I never got comfortable. Dropped out at 17 miles--would have stopped much earlier had someone offered a ride. I was on pace but it wasn't there. Thoughts on even pace/holding back for 8-10 miles (10-15 sec per mile) or staying around 9's untill the real 1/2 of a marathon--the 20 mile mark. Thanks for your thoughts. At 64, I would love to run faster than my first marathon back in 1977 (3:58)--plus I would qualify for Boston. Marathon PR was 3:16 waay back in 1985--at age 42. Didn't run another for 21 yrs until last Feb's 4:07. Thanks. Nick
                                (from http://runningahead.com/forums/topic/2d5edd0319e04b3cbc985ee44188d063, I took the liberty of modifying the quote to provide a link to the marathon's homepage)

E.J.
                                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.