High School Running (Read 73 times)

highschoolrunner

So first of all, let me just give a huge shout out to Tomboiler90, a very respectable and knowledgeable runner/coach  who has helped me improve very much over this summer, going from a pr of 19:45 to 17:45 (very flat course) this year in cross country season. A simple yet workout styled base building plan definitely got me places this year. I've just ran two meets in the last week including today, one with a time of 18:03 and the other 18:15 (today), trying to reach out to other runners, I was hoping for some additional voices on what they think I am lacking in my weeks of training prior to our state meets approaching. One thing that I feel is very big nowadays is what to do when your coach is not coaching you properly. What might strike some of you shocking is how a high school runner would know what "proper coaching" is and by no means do I understand the concept fully but I've come to understand the concept a bit more thoroughly through research and videos/articles on flotrack.org and milesplit. And I feel as though my practices nowadays are lacking from what I might need to run at my full potential and see results, not major but slight improvements obviously, seconds or so. I've started implementing long runs after Saturday races on Sunday to keep my general fitness/endurance alive to a point because during the week our workouts barely hit 5 or 6 miles, most of the time less. I eat plenty healthy, fruit, vegetables, the whole kazoo, so no problem there. But I am definitely lacking mileage, we never hit the weight room for even the lightest amount of weight-lifting and no work to benefit the kick I lack. There are things I want to do to improve but my coach disagrees with all of them and when I attempt to do them, I am yelled at for disobeying her coaching and person by going behind her back to implement things. A lot of heart and a god-gifted gift to run won't take anyone to the top, this is evident in the Olympics and higher level competition in running, hard work still pays off in running if done efficiently to the point where it doesn't get you injured. Like most of you could agree, smart work is probably better than reckless work. I just need to know what smart work I need to implement now, if anyone wants to add on this or give some type of advice I would deeply appreciate it and if you would like to take a look at my schedule for the rest of the season to determine what is best, feel free to message me personally at highschoolrunner. Our team is really close to pulling off our first time at the meet of champions race in New Jersey for states this year but one of us need to pull the weight to slide in there and I hope that can be me! Thanks everyone!