Garmin-related injuries? (Read 957 times)

Best Present Ever

I just got a Forerunner 205 for my birthday. I want to know if there are increased injuries associated with wearing this thing? Smile I was running in the pre-dawn dark and found it hard to keep my eyes on the road instead of my wrist. I assume the novelty will wear off soon, but it is a lot of fun.

Insert witty title here

I just got a Forerunner 205 for my birthday. I want to know if there are increased injuries associated with wearing this thing? Smile I was running in the pre-dawn dark and found it hard to keep my eyes on the road instead of my wrist. I assume the novelty will wear off soon, but it is a lot of fun.
      Mine is supposed to be delivered today so I'll get back to you on that soon Smile

ThomasRuns Blog
      Twitter

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do." - [Walter Bagehot]

I have to force myself not to look at it too often.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I was running the second half of the Pikes Peak Marathon. I came upon a woman who had glanced at her Garmin instead of keeping her eye on the trail. She tripped on a root. Some 27 trail sutures later, she got to finish the race. She passed me too.

Imminent Catastrophe

You can't blame Garmin for that (their crappy software, you can blame them for. But not this). I've taken a tumble on a trail trace for a moments' inattention and I wasn't wearing a Garmin. If it's not your Garmin, it will be something else. It's the nature of running.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

A Saucy Wench

You can't blame Garmin for that (their crappy software, you can blame them for. But not this). I've taken a tumble on a trail trace for a moments' inattention and I wasn't wearing a Garmin. If it's not your Garmin, it will be something else. It's the nature of running.
              true I tripped on a root, sprained my ankle, and couldnt run for 3 months because I got too chitty chatty with my running partners. I run trails eyes fixed. One of the reasons I am slower than snot on trails too.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I assume the novelty will wear off soon, but it is a lot of fun.
                The novelty does wear off. I've head one (but not the same one) for 4 years now. I rarely look at it, and when I do. And when I do, I will glance at only the one data field I need to know - like distance, or time of day, not the whole screen.
                Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I find that the longer I have my Garmin, the less I look at it. Mostly just to check my pace and adjust if need be (I tend to get pace creep and when I want to keep it truly slow-and-easy the Garmin is a great tool), so I look at it maybe 2x/mile, if that. I actually look at my wrist LESS with the Garmin, since I know it's there collecting my data, then I can obsess when I am back home after my run. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Best Present Ever

I did my second run with the Garmin -- the novelty hasn't worn off yet. I don't know if I was happiest just to be out running (since i've been off so long with my knee) or happiest to be able to fool around with the gadget on my wrist ... it was good to be out (such glorious weather we're having in central Virginia) and fun all around.
                    Teresadfp

One day at a time

I've had mine since Christmas. The new has worn off, but I still love it. Being able to take off running, no matter where I am, and still know how far I've gone is cool. Now I can run when my kids are at piano lessons, Girl Scout meetings, track practices, etc. I can use my time more efficiently. I don't look at my data as much anymore, but I still look at the maps of my runs if I do them in new places or on trips.
                      Sisu

after about a month or so the novelty wears off. now when i wear it i just have it show me time & distance for the main screen. If i'm worried about pace I'll just make it on the second menu so I can't glance at my watch to obsess over pacing.

The only time I look at it constantly is when I have a map up on it, mostly to figure out where I'm going. (Had to do that on Friday night when I ran from the hotel...I knew where the hotel was, just not how to get there by way of the roads...) I generally look at the numbers more after downloading the workout.

Run to Win
                          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Best Present Ever

I need to figure the map out. When I look at it, it doens't really show me anything very useful. I live in a rural area, so i'm wondering if i'm just too zoomed in to see any roads other than the one I'm on. I'm leaving tuesday for a trip to denver (and leadville, but I don't think I'll be running in Leadville) so we'll see if i can figure it out there...
                            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I need to figure the map out. When I look at it, it doens't really show me anything very useful. I live in a rural area, so i'm wondering if i'm just too zoomed in to see any roads other than the one I'm on. I'm leaving tuesday for a trip to denver (and leadville, but I don't think I'll be running in Leadville) so we'll see if i can figure it out there...
                              It doesn't actually show roads, just a trace of your running path. This is still useful. I was running out-of-town last week, and knowing where my previous path was (and when I was going to cross it again) was helpful. You can also see where you are relative to your starting position (such as a hotel, like Blaine was doing).

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

You can also download maps ahead of time, which show you not only where you've been but where to go. I use it for scoping out trail races and such or when I travel and have a chance to check out new trails. I've also used it quite a bit when lost in the middle of the woods or in the middle of a lake on a run.

Run to Win
                                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)