Running with Generalized hyperhidrosis (Read 75 times)

Kulelat the Plog

Does generalized hyperhidrosis or excessive sweating affect running performance?

Or

Has anyone experience this and how did you treat or control it?

I started sports and sweated alotalot. At firsts I thought it was normal because it's a physical activity but when I started training with other it became apparent that it wasn't normal. Everytime we do warm ups (3laps around the track followed by stretching and drills) I seem to be the only one sweating ,even our new running friends doesn't swear like I do.

The Worst experience I had was competing 10k with other runners. I finished but was showering with my own sweat. My fellow runners did not sweat that much. My coach was even worried why I was sweating even if 30mins has passed after the run. Please help. I need advice .

Marylander

I sweat a lot too although I have not seen a doctor or gotten a professional diagnosis. In the hottest, most humid days of summer I'm losing something like 19 oz per mile (I don't remember the exact number and would have to redo this in summer to figure it out again, I just know it was huge and that I can't drink enough to make up for what I lose while running). I do bring drink with me for runs over 10 miles in summer. Losing a lot of sweat can definitely impact performance. My summer long runs used to turn in to death marches. Since having a bunch of kidney stones a couple years ago I've been a lot better about hydrating and those same summer long runs are now much better. They're still slower than during the cool months, of course.

Here's a calculator to figure out what your sweat loss is:

https://runnersconnect.net/training/tools/sweat-loss-calculator/

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I have always sweated a lot.

i take water even in the winter

after every run all my clothes are soaked

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

My kids have medical conditions where a real symptom is hyperhidrosis.  I'm not sure that what you're describing is anything more than "excessive sweating".

Hyperhidrosis for my kids is a major challenge.  Excessive sweating due to activity that naturally induces sweat isn't major.

Examples of medical challenges for them due to excessive sweating:

- skin peels off every 3 to 4 weeks (like a snake) without ability to generate callous on hands or feet.

- deep cracks in hands / feet without ability to wear shoes or walk.

Just because you sweat more than others doesn't mean that you truly have "hyperhidrosis".

I also recognize that there are varying degrees of hyperhidrosis, and mild versions may produce what you describe.

---

With all of that said, my oldest is 25 and has run a marathon with decent results (4:20Tight lippedx), but all of his training before the race was contingent on his skin cycle (peeling or not peeling, cracks or no cracks).  He has since retired from running because of the condition and pain and focuses his activity elsewhere (volleyball, softball, etc).  My youngest is a swimmer and not a runner, and he struggles more due to chlorine in the pool that burns his tender skin, but still has great results and still enjoys racing.  The pain is worth it for him.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

You don't use antiperspirants do you?

300m- 37 sec.

Kulelat the Plog

It could be mild generalized hyperhidrosis which in turn is a sign of other health issues. I hydrate a lot but my skin always looks dry and it looks like a rice field that hasn't been irrigated for a while(whitish with cracks and peels a little). I'm still saving up for a checkup to know the cause of it. 

My kids have medical conditions where a real symptom is hyperhidrosis.  I'm not sure that what you're describing is anything more than "excessive sweating".

Hyperhidrosis for my kids is a major challenge.  Excessive sweating due to activity that naturally induces sweat isn't major.

Examples of medical challenges for them due to excessive sweating:

- skin peels off every 3 to 4 weeks (like a snake) without ability to generate callous on hands or feet.

- deep cracks in hands / feet without ability to wear shoes or walk.

Just because you sweat more than others doesn't mean that you truly have "hyperhidrosis".

I also recognize that there are varying degrees of hyperhidrosis, and mild versions may produce what you describe.

---

With all of that said, my oldest is 25 and has run a marathon with decent results (4:20Tight lippedx), but all of his training before the race was contingent on his skin cycle (peeling or not peeling, cracks or no cracks).  He has since retired from running because of the condition and pain and focuses his activity elsewhere (volleyball, softball, etc).  My youngest is a swimmer and not a runner, and he struggles more due to chlorine in the pool that burns his tender skin, but still has great results and still enjoys racing.  The pain is worth it for him.

Kulelat the Plog

I use antiperspirant but for my armpits only.

You don't use antiperspirants do you?

I would suggest a deodorant... a non- antiperspirant, maybe try it... see if it helps after a month...

I use antiperspirant but for my armpits only.

300m- 37 sec.