Garmin watches & MS-Windows & limited users (Read 611 times)

HobbyJogger & HobbyRacer

MS-Windows & garmin watch software

One of the pieces of garmin software was repeatedly prompting me to update it, for months or years. I was ignoring it, because I didn't want to risk breaking compatibility with RA. I finally got around to updating it this summer. (Note: I logged in as an Administrator to install their software.)  After a month or so (?), it started prompting again, asking for the same version.

I tried garmin tech support, but was exchanging very confusing emails with them. I thought they weren't reading my emails, and I really wasn't understanding what they meant, but now I think they meant I needed to make my user an Administrator and install the software again, and I think they thought I wasn't reading their responses.

I didn't make my regular (so-called limited) user an Administrator, and I didn't reinstall, but it has quit prompting me to update it to the current version.

(By current version, I mean the one I already installed, and which is reported in Control Panel.)

So at this point, I'm kind of lost whether garmin software is supposed to be installed separately for every user of a MS-Windows computer, or only once by an Administrator user, or if it is only meant for users who run as as the same user all the time, which user is an Administrator (this last option is what I think of as the "Windows 95" arrangement, and it hadn't even occurred to me until this morning).

I just took a look at one of their manuals available online, but it seemed to only say that you need to put www.garmin.com into your Trusted Sites zone and go to it and follow directions. Maybe that means they aren't familiar with any web browsers besides Internet Explorer, but it didn't seem to really inform me as to what I'm wondering about above.

If anyone has made it through this long blathering post, and happens to know how garmin works on MS-Windows, or what user model they have, I'd be interested.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Hey loves dogs, what SW are you referring to?  Garmin Training Center?  The ANT Agent?  Garmin Communicator Plugin?

- Joe

all running goals are under review by the executive committee.

HobbyJogger & HobbyRacer

ANT Agent is the problematic one, but it would be nifty if they had a web page explaining which of the various software pieces is to be installed as an Admin, and which as a local user. I tried suggesting that to them; perhaps such a page will magically appear at some point.

OK.  It's always best to install this software from a user account that has admin privileges.  Also, it's always best to to go ahead and do the updates whenever they are offered.  Rarely an update might break something, but the much more usual case is that the updates fix problems that were uncovered since the last release so it's almost always in the user's best interest to go ahead and take them.  It does occur that third party developers such as our very own eric here on RA do not always keep up with changes to libraries and what not which can result in compatibility issues, but these usually then get worked out pretty quickly.  If you like, you can get to the latest version of the ANT Agent here:  http://www.garmin.com/software/ANTAgent_2217.exe

- Joe

HobbyJogger & HobbyRacer

Yeah, as I mentioned, I installed everything from an admin account -- but, apparently that is a problem for them. And as I mentioned, now one piece wants the same update that I've already applied, but it wants it under a limited user account, where of course the install will fail. It all seems pretty buggy, and I'm afraid it will only be a disastrous experience when I finally get one of them on the phone. They seemed to have never heard of "least privilege" or "limited users" or "Microsoft Best Practices"...

Let me ask around a bit with some folks who know more than I do and I'll see if I can get you some help.

- Joe

Will Crew for Beer

While logged on as the regular user try right clicking on the the ANT installation file and select Run As and install it using the Administrator account. Are you on XP or Win7? The process is a little different depending on which OS you're running.

2014 Goal: Who the hell knows?