"other" workouts displaying on graph? (Read 938 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey, know what would be cool...if on our graph there could be a bar with text in place of where a run would be. For instance, if we are doing some sort of cross-training...ie a bar that would say "kickboxing" or "yoga," instead of a mileage bar. My graph is looking woefully spartan, at the moment. After Turkey Day I plan to start getting my cross-training on. So my graph will look sorta "inactive," though I will be getting a workout in, just not in the form of miles run. Would something like that be possible? I know a few others are interested in something like that, too. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

eric :)

Hi Kirsten, Although it's an interesting idea, it wouldn't make sense to have do that on that particular graph. I'm redoing the reporting stuff, and part of the change will include allowing you to create other graphs for the summary page so you can create your own. eric Smile
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ooh, I like the added graphs on the summary page plan! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

This is a function I was looking for as well, because I crosstrain and then calculate what the "running equivalent" mileage is. I wanted to be able to look at my graph and see how many "RE" miles I was racking up via crosstraining. What I've done to get the cross-training on a graph is to create another run type called "Crosstraining" and then I created new courses for each type of crosstraining I do (cycling, stationary bike, elliptical). This way I can keep track of my crosstraining but I can still see it in the graph. I just had my 2006 data imported and I'm going back and tweaking it, but you can see what I mean here: http://www.runningahead.com/log.aspx?eid=c20596a9d8c64bd1b976faced1764a70
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, that's interesting...where do you find the equivalencies? BTW, I keep looking at your membername and picturing "Lucy" drinking a cappuccino. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

LOL -- sweet. Most people are like "cafepithecus"... what the heck does that mean?" Smile RE miles - there are a couple of different formulas for this. If you use a heart rate monitor, which I do, you can use the general rule of thumb that 60 minutes of crosstraining at 70% (or above) of your max heart rate = a 5 mile run. I got that from last month's Runner's World. The alternative method is from Bob Glover's "The Competitive Runner's Handbook". He says that any high-quality aerobic activity can be turned into RE miles by simply estimating how many miles you would have run in the amount of time you spent crosstraining. So, if you spent 30 minutes on an elliptical machine and you would normally run 3 miles in that amount of time, then your running equivalent mileage would be 3 miles. Really the key is making sure that you are working out at a high intensity and not stopping a lot, and either method is fine. Like, if I bike on city streets, I have to ride for a lot longer than I would on a stationary bike (or country road) to equal the same amount of RE miles -- because I'm constantly having to stop for lights.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

LOL -- sweet. Most people are like "cafepithecus"... what the heck does that mean?" Smile
                Heh, I was one class shy of a minor in Cultural Anthro (actually switched to a minor in Sociology when I thought I might go into teaching, since Anthro isn't considered a "teachable minor") and my dad has his BA in Anthro...and we subscribe to Natl. Geo.
                The alternative method is from Bob Glover's "The Competitive Runner's Handbook". He says that any high-quality aerobic activity can be turned into RE miles by simply estimating how many miles you would have run in the amount of time you spent crosstraining. So, if you spent 30 minutes on an elliptical machine and you would normally run 3 miles in that amount of time, then your running equivalent mileage would be 3 miles. Really the key is making sure that you are working out at a high intensity and not stopping a lot, and either method is fine. Like, if I bike on city streets, I have to ride for a lot longer than I would on a stationary bike (or country road) to equal the same amount of RE miles -- because I'm constantly having to stop for lights.
                Ahhh...I have that book. I will have to go find that section, but that's great info.! I have a 30 minute kickboxing workout that is probably about as intense as a moderate-paced 30 minute run, so comparable to maybe 2.5-3 miles of running for me. I might think about putting that into my graph (though I think I would feel like I'm cheating, since it wouldn't "technically" be real mileage...damned guilt from my protestant upbringing...). k

~ Sarah Kay

JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

Hi Kirsten, Although it's an interesting idea, it wouldn't make sense to have do that on that particular graph. I'm redoing the reporting stuff, and part of the change will include allowing you to create other graphs for the summary page so you can create your own. eric Smile
                  What ever happened to this idea? Did I miss it? I will keep looking for the answer..... Smile Jilly
                  "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."
                  JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

Okay, I found how to switch my main graph over to biking, but is there a way to show both running and biking on the same graph at the same time? Any way at all?
                    Wingz

Professional Noob

Hi, Jilly. Not at this time, sorry! Blame the graphics package Eric chose (a rework is planned) ... Sad

Roads were made for journeys...

eric :)

What ever happened to this idea? Did I miss it? I will keep looking for the answer..... Smile Jilly
                        That is still in the plans. There are so much to do that often times some features (particularly the big projects) get preempted by others. The log revamp work and GPS import are major projects and take months to complete. They also need upgrades to the framework that I created for the site, which would further delay progress. I am putting pretty much all my free times into making the site better. I promise I'll get to redoing the graph soon.
                        JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

No problem. I just was thinking that I missed it. Thanks for your reply! I will continue (or really start) logging bike miles into the New Bike Entry and then they'll be totalled at the bottom like it's set up to do. It works..... Smile Jilly