HRM (Read 651 times)

My husband just took up running and is looking to buy a HRM. He doesn't want to spend a lot of money on it. Around $50.00 is about it for now. The only ones he's been able to find cheap in our area are the ones without the strap that you have to put two fingers on in order for it to read. Wierd, I know. Does anyone know of where I can get a cheap HRM for him with a strap. It has to have a continuous read on the face. It would also be nice if it would summerize the data for him as well. TIA!
    Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09

Giant Flaming Dork

I know it's above your price range, but I love my Timex. ~$90

http://xkcd.com/621/

The Greatest of All Time

Entry level models by Polar will be in that price range but will be very limited on features. I, too, use a Timex that was about $90 and it has a lot of features. It's essentially a 30 lap Ironman with a HRM. It has programmable HR zones, calorie expenditure, etc.
        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
          My husband just took up running and is looking to buy a HRM. He doesn't want to spend a lot of money on it. Around $50.00 is about it for now. The only ones he's been able to find cheap in our area are the ones without the strap that you have to put two fingers on in order for it to read. Wierd, I know. Does anyone know of where I can get a cheap HRM for him with a strap. It has to have a continuous read on the face. It would also be nice if it would summerize the data for him as well. TIA!
          My first was a Polar FS1, mainly because my wife wasn't sure if this was just another hobby I'd quit after a few months. Tongue I paid less than $60 for it. It's a VERY basic watch, no frills at all. It remembers only one workout I believe, and stores the time you ran and your average heart rate. If you want to figure out your max heart rate using it you're out of luck, unless you can somehow constantly look down at the display while sprinting. Big grin Also, the heart rate zones are pretty limited, there's no backlight, you can't record lap times with it, and you can't replace the battery on the heart rate strap or the watch itself (you have to send it to Polar). That said, I'd spend a little more money on one if he plans to stick with running.

running yogi

When I started Polar FS1 worked perfectly for me. I used it for a couple of years. I think I paid $48+tax for it at Walmart. Now I have graduated to Polar F6, about $100.