Muscle Fatigue =/= Muscle Soreness? (Read 1476 times)

So I'm just getting into strength training, have been using nautilus equipment. Last night I pushed myself, did 2 sets on each machine. First set was 15 reps, felt like the last couple were tough. Rested 30 seconds or so then did another rep which ranged from 10-15 reps depending on the machine. Second set in all instances was a challenge. At the end felt like I had fatigued the muscles that I worked. So why am I not sore this morning? I have this idea that if I'm not a little sore the day after, I probably didn't work the muscles enough, yet I know that I couldn't have pushed myself anymore last night. Am I wrong? I want to be sure I'm working the muscles enough to make progress (lift more weight, get better muscle definition, etc).
    2009 Goals:
    PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
    Run a 10K
    Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
    Complete my first Sprint Tri
      Muscle soreness is not necessarily a great indicator when weight training. Depends on how you train. Especialy if you're doing high reps, you're getting muscle fatugue but you may not be getting all the microtears in the muscle fiber that lead to DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness). Once I get past the initial soreness - like when you come back from a layoff - I usually don't get a lot of DOMS. I measure my progress and the quality of a weight lifitng session by whether I added weight to the bar or not. Just like running, progression over time is the better indicator than soreness. If I'm lifting more weight for the same number of reps over time, then I'm progressing. If not, than I'm pretty much wasting my time. BTW: If you want muscle soreness, change up the routine every 4 weeks or so. Change the rep pattern. Do 5 sets of 5 with a heavier weight for a couple weeks, do 3 sets of 8 for a couple weeks, do 2 sets of 12 for a couple weeks. Change the rest between sets. When going heavier, rest longer. Use free weights instead of nautilus sometimes. Mix it up and you'll feel lit. Once your body adapts to a stress, stress it differently. Lather, rinse repeat. But don't get hung up on soreness, if you're not sore, it tells you that your body is adapting to the stress.

Its kind of hard to really say for sure. I know that normally when I start back or begin a new weight program, I usually dont feel it too much until the second day after my workout.....Push it hard on a Sundy and be more sore on Tue then I am on Mon..... You really shouldn't be too very sore..you ought to work your muscles to failure and then rest them a few day, but not really feel any pain (weights arent suppose to hurt either)....... As mentioned above, the best way to wake up the muscles is to do variety work (Change it up a little every now and then)....... Just for KICKS, hit the dead weights (get off the machines)...if you have never done so, get someone to help you... I like Nautilus , but when I work dead weights instead, I get a totally different feel........when I'm really into weights (certain times of the year), I usually hit the nautilus circut once and then hit the dead weights.....it always seems more productive for me and I seem to get stronger and faster..... Shocked Shocked Experiment and get the trainers to show you around a little.....they are usually very helpful.... Big grin

Champions are made when no one is watching

Thanks guys, good info. I'm just getting into this strength training thing and still a teensy bit intimidated by the "real weighlifters" using free weights, haha, but hopefully I'll get over it soon Smile
          2009 Goals:
          PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
          Run a 10K
          Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
          Complete my first Sprint Tri
          DoppleBock

Or ... maybe your a little sore today ? I am always a DOMS guy - Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. If I have at lease 2 weeks under my belt (4-6 days on the muscle) I do not get sore. If after an extended break - I crank out the weight the 1st time out - I am really sore. But we are all different Don't be intimidated - Weight lifters are like any other people - There are some really nice ones, ones that only care about themselves and then there are a few dick heads - But that's life.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Thanks guys, good info. I'm just getting into this strength training thing and still a teensy bit intimidated by the "real weighlifters" using free weights, haha, but hopefully I'll get over it soon Smile
              Yeah, free weights are the best. Why do you feel intimidated? If it's because you think other people might be watching you, don't worry about it. I've been weight training for years, some of it at the gym. People just go in and do their own thing and really don't pay attention to anyone else. Just make sure you learn how to use the free weights properly (get someone to show you). You will love them.
                Makes sense that you are a little intimidated by the 'real weightlifters' but Ill tell you that most weightlifters are almost as nice as runners.. You usually find most guys pumping iron to be courteous, polite and if you askd them questions the will normally be very helpful...........So dont be to intimidated... Wink

Champions are made when no one is watching