So, now that I did my first half how do I train for my next one in November? (Read 980 times)

Double IPA Please!

I made some minor errors, but overall, I'm fine with my finish time for my first. I definately want to do better next time but don't know what to do differently or what to add in etc..Next race is November 23rd. Advice?

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

A Saucy Wench

Give yourself a week of easy running - no speed, maybe cap the longest run at ~ 7-8 miles. Then I would say return to what you have been doing, you have built a really nice base, continue to work at it. Your last month has looked really nice. I would keep doing what you have been doing. If you want to you can write out your long run schedule to look at going beyond 13 in early November. i.e. build long run in the 10-13 mile range in October , peak at 14 or 16 and a little taper.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Double IPA Please!

thank you!! You have really helped me with your advice in the last 2 days- I appreciate it!

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Good job on your first half, you have been training very consistently and doing a lot of mileage compared with me. I have no doubt you will be faster in the next one, cooler weather and no jitters. I try to set a goal for reaching the 10 mile mark, and a goal for the last 5 k (really 5.1) which will determine my goal for the race. Then I run a couple of medium distance runs with the last 5k at my goal pace, you can call it 30 seconds for the odd 100 metres and be close enough. Knowing you can do this gives you confidence. Simon Get out there and get sweaty!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Scout7

Keep running.

Double IPA Please!

Keep running.
              your a genius. Best advice I ever got.

Scout7

your a genius. Best advice I ever got.
                There's no right answer here. That's the problem. I don't know what the best way to do it is; I doubt anyone does. Keep running. Keep it fun. Don't worry about improvements, they will happen just by doing what you're doing, and from experience. You've got 8 weeks. You could repeat the last 8 weeks of the plan you just used. There are bridge plans out there, too, I'm sure. The key is to keep running, though. It seems flip, glib, and simple, but it's not.
                  Stick with those tempo runs, aiming to do them at your goal HM pace for the next race (not faster, and not slower). This will help you get accustomed to holding the pace you'll need for the new PR. You really seemed to enjoy the tempo runs, based on your log notes:
                  This was a fantastic run! The end.
                  Great Tempo today! Was not sure I wanted to ruh today after being out in the sun all day at the dog show and then Gabriel's football game..Glad I went.
                  Tempo..a little tough considering I worked today, but not too tough. Recovered well in my cool down.
                  (Btw, personally I wouldn't have done an almost 40-minute tempo run at faster than HM pace 3 days before the race. Aim to do you last tempo run a few days earlier, or else shorten it up a bit.)

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

JimR

There's no right answer here. That's the problem.
                    Agreed. Just keep doing what you're doing, keep the long runs up there in the 10-13 mile range. Want to do really well? Maintain a good base over the winter, target a half in the spring and train for it using a full marathon plan, with one alteration...limit your longest runs to 18 miles.
                    mikeymike

(Btw, personally I wouldn't have done an almost 40-minute tempo run at faster than HM pace 3 days before the race. Aim to do you last tempo run a few days earlier, or else shorten it up a bit.)
                      I agree. I'd a done it 4 days out. The bigger problem I see is that your 4 mile "tempo" pace is 50 seconds per mile faster than your half marathon race pace and, inexplicably, faster than your 5k race pace. Wassup with that? My advice: build mileage, do fewer workouts and tempos, race more often and race harder.

Runners run

Keep running.
                        This does summarize it ---- I think he forgot 'have fun while your running' but scout covered the bacis advice for sure.... Wink

Champions are made when no one is watching

Right on Hereford...

I try to set a goal for reaching the 10 mile mark, and a goal for the last 5 k (really 5.1) which will determine my goal for the race.
                          OCD Numbers Police, here. A half marathon is 13.109375 miles. Subtract 10 miles and you get 3.109375 miles. Convert 3.109375 miles to km and you get 5.004054. You said there is 5.1 km remaining after the 10-mile mark in a half marathon. In other words, a 5k plus 100 meters. Actually, it's 5k plus 4 meters. Carry on... Tongue

Prince of Fatness

Want to do really well? Maintain a good base over the winter, target a half in the spring and train for it using a full marathon plan, with one alteration...limit your longest runs to 18 miles.
                            I can attest to this. Keeping your mileage up over the winter will really help you if you are running a half in the spring. I did this last winter and it resulted in a 3 minute HM PR in April. While I didn't follow a marathon plan for the race, I did run about 9 weeks of 14-15 milers every weekend leading up to the race. I used to scale back my mileage over the winter .... not anymore.

Not at it at all. 

I agree. I'd a done it 4 days out. The bigger problem I see is that your 4 mile "tempo" pace is 50 seconds per mile faster than your half marathon race pace and, inexplicably, faster than your 5k race pace. Wassup with that? .
                              She's faster now than 6 months ago? <hijack> My 5K pace from May 2007 is 9:09 and now I can easily run a 3 mile tempo at 8:00 pace , not sure if I am not really racing the tempos, but I can do those without pain which I had during that 5K. My log doesn't break down my tempo runs into warmup/tempo, just an aggeregate pace around 8:40 for 3.5 miles. So do you recommend tempo's at half marathon pace or slower, for me that would be around 9:30 right now based on my half marathon from May this year, if that is the case I am probably running all my runs at my HM pace and need to slow down. < hijack="" /> </hijack>
                                So do you recommend tempo's at half marathon pace or slower, for me that would be around 9:30 right now based on my half marathon from May this year.
                                If your fitness has improved, you probably shouldn't use your old, soft PRs as a guide for training paces. Doing so will only cheat you out of quality during your hard workouts. So when I say that tempo runs should be at HM pace or slightly faster, I mean the hypothetical HM that you can run today.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.