New Shoes Question (Read 852 times)

Hey, I have a question about some new shoes I got about 2 weeks ago. Back in December, right after Christmas, I went to a running store in Fort Worth (can't remember the name) and had them look at my old shoes, watch me run on a treadmill, and they told me what kind of shoes I they thought I needed. I couldn't get them at the time since it was right after Christmas, but I wrote down the name and ordered them online about 3 weeks ago. I ended up with the Brooks Infiniti (the first one, not the Infiniti 2) They're incredibly comfortable and I haven't had a problem with rubbing the insides of my shoes together when I run like I did before. However, since day one they've made either one or both of my feet go numb every time I've run in them. My husband keeps telling me that it will go away, but it's been two weeks (8 runs) now and it hasn't gotten better. I've loosened the laces to the point that I know that can't be the problem. Is this something that is normal and will go away with time, or do I need to look into trying some new shoes? Thanks for the help!

an amazing likeness

I'd assume the simpliest cause is the most likely -- they are too small for you, or the wrong shape for your foot. If you've got them loose and your circulation is still impacted, that sounds like a case of too small of a shoe. (as an aside, I'll add that I just started using a pair of Brooks Infinity II, and they are giving me blisters on the inside of the ball of my foot -- right at that point where you would measure the width of your foot. But my experience has no relevance to your situation...they just have weird seam and the sock liner bends right at that point...not good for me.)

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I'm not sure if this helps, but every time I get a new pair of shoes my feet get numb right about mile #3 for the first few times that I wear them......seems weird to me cause I never used to have this problem but after a couple of weeks it goes away for me (cant really say this is the same issue you are having - but maybe)... I normally have 3 or 4 pairs of running shoes so when i get a new pair, I only wear them on short easy runs and rotate them out with others and after 5 to 8 runs, it seems to go away...

Champions are made when no one is watching

dennrunner

I'm not sure if this helps, but every time I get a new pair of shoes my feet get numb right about mile #3 for the first few times that I wear them......seems weird to me cause I never used to have this problem but after a couple of weeks it goes away for me (cant really say this is the same issue you are having - but maybe)... I normally have 3 or 4 pairs of running shoes so when i get a new pair, I only wear them on short easy runs and rotate them out with others and after 5 to 8 runs, it seems to go away...
          I've had the same issue with many pairs of shoes over the last 30 years. I've had multiple pairs of shoes of the same model and sometimes a pair bothers me for the first few runs---usually starting at about 3 miles into the run. Part of the bottom of my left foot goes numb. In my case the numbness stops after my insoles and midsoles begin to be slightly indented by the shape of my foot. For me, if I still have a numbness issue after putting 25-35 miles on the shoe, then the shoe is not right for me---or I have the shoe laced too tightly putting pressure on the top of my foot.

Jeri from Houston

Numbness of the foot is often caused by the shoe being too narrow or laces being tied too tightly. In either case it should be corrected. You might even solve the problem with a thinner sock if it is minor or doesn't occur until you have run several miles. A good rule of thumb when buying shoes is to wear the socks you intend to use with them and purchase in the late afternoon. At that time your foot has had time to swell

she runs like a girl

I have had the same problem with Brooks shoes as well. If you have high arches it may make your foot feel cramped in your shoe. Sometimes you can solve this problem by changing the way you lace your shoes. This video may help: http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1243816238?bclid=1716449631&bctid=1325129380 Even if you don't have a high arch, this lacing techinque gives you a little more room in your shoe. I do this with my Brooks and it has helped a lot.
              2010 goals: PR at distances from 3k-HM 3k: 02/02/10 - 12:00 - road 5k :03/13/10 - 20:32 - road 10mile: 04/02/10 - 1:15:49 "The only thing I hate more than running is not running"
                Since my right foot is nearly a half-inch shorter than my left, I used to have issues with numbness because I overcompensated by tightening the laces to the extreme. It’s funny, though…it was a Brooks shoe that ended up being my cure; I just picked up my second pair of the Ghost this past weekend and ran a 14-miler right out of the box – felt great.