Hamstring relief (Read 567 times)

Anyone have any tricks or suggestions for getting over a hamstring strain? I've actually tweaked both of mine (only I could do that!). I know it's not a full blown pull as I still have pretty good range of motion in both legs. I can go through most of my day and not really notice it unless I bend down to tie my shoe or something like that. Currently, I can't run more than a couple of miles without the left one tightening up really bad. Right one does not tighten up, but is sore after the run. I've had hamstring issues before and have done all the typical stuff like taking time off, stretching, strengthening and massage. Just seems to take me awhile to get over this injury. I've had times where it's taken almost 6 months for the hamstring to heal. This is after taking weeks off and coming back slowly (though I don't think my current situation is that serious). Just not sure what to do. Any advice would be appreciated. Chris
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Lots of slow easy miles. Ice and stretching AFTER your run. Lots more slow easy miles. Massage. And time. Lots of time.
        Thanks Trent, A few other posts on the subject also suggested gentle stretchiing after warming up the leg. I'm actually going to take about 3 days off and see what happens. Will try brisk walking to keep the legs loose. Just got one of those foam roll things last night and I've read that they do help to massage the injured leg. I have a five mile race next Sunday (Aug 3rd) so I hope I can at least run the thing. I'm participating in a running series where you earn points for how you place in your age group. Won my age group last year and I'm well ahead of the group this year. I probably could just run this race fairly easy and still keep a decent lead. Of course this could back-fire on me big time!!!!
        Sylvie D.

I actually really hurt mine a couple years ago, continued to play on it [soccer that is because it was soccer season] and made it even worse than it already was. I'd use a heating pad to heat it and then a really good stretch is to find an edge of a wall in your house, lay down facing it with your butt against the wall and have one leg extended upward with the wall supporting it and the other leg extended forward flat against the floor. http://www.health.com/health/static/hw/media/medical/hw/hwkb17_055.jpg