How do you carry your cell phone during runs? (Read 599 times)

I've always used the ArmPocket things to carry my phone which is also my mp3 player and also my GPS and also my watch.  I rarely wear headphones, I usually just have the volume turned up on my phone and run in areas where I rarely see another person, but if I do wear headphones I have bluetooth headphones so I'm not tied down to a cord.  I rarely look at it though and have had a couple occasions where it overheats and shuts down if it is in the direct sunlight too long and was just thinking the other day that running with it on my arm for an entire marathon might get old.

Anyone used one of the armband type things and one of the waist belt ones and have a preference one way or the other?

Thanks, Nathan

A bit of a hijack - what Bluetooth headphones do you use?

Recalculating...

Oops, typo, meant to type gum, not gun    Big grin

that's funny!

I was reading through the thread, and figured you just opened this thread into a politically charged debate.

Innocent mistake Smile

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

I am on call 24/7 and have been issued a BlackBerry.  I carry it and my U.S. passport in a sandwich bag.  The passport is necessary because on about 90% of my runs, I go into Canada and back.  I carry the sandwich bag in my hand, or when it's cold (6 degrees this morning), the bag goes in the pouch on front of my hoodie.

Ojo

That looks a lot like the belts a few of us found at Flying Pig, last year.

Bandi Wear.

I love my Bandi Wear belt -- it securely holds my iPhone and keys.

Sara

MM #2929

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The green belt looks like it would do the trick.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I am working on getting my dog up to at least 6 mile runs, right now he is doing 3 miles really well though I would much rather be doing 5 miles on that day. I just feel more relaxed having my phone with me, for those "just in cases".

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

xhristopher

I carry it in my hand. It's much easier to text and stuff that way.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I know this is a little off topic, but is a cell phone really necessary for safety on a short urban run?  It is not going to stop an attack like a whistle or mace might and you are probably not far from a business or someone's house if something does happen and you need to make a call.  I used to run after work with a co-worker (a man) who wouldn't run without his phone because he did not want to miss a work call in case there was a network outage.  I see running as the one time of the day I don't have to answer the phone and I refuse to carry one, but everyone's needs are different.

It may not stop an attack, but if there is a suspicious vehicle driving around it's a means to contact the authorities while one seeks a hiding spot.  I live in a town of 2k residents and a fellow running friend of mine had to do this.  A dude in his 70s was stalking her via pick-up truck.  She ducked into the woods and called the cops.  They arrested the guy...who had a history of off behavior.

I've had vehicles drive by me one-too-many times mid-run, before.  I will frequently dial my DH in these events and make it very visible that I am on the phone.  Suspicious vehicles tend to disappear when they see that.  When you live in the boonies sometimes this is protection.

My son's school has called me mid-run, before.  When he was a little guy his preschool lost power.  Since they were on a well they had to evacuate the building with no running water or flushing toilets.  Had I not had my phone on me they would have had to call my DH at work a half hour in the opposite direction.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

wbudde

I carry it in my hand. It's much easier to text and stuff that way.

I carry it in my hand too.  I don't carry it for safety (as a 6'4", 270lb guy, I don't get many stalkers), rather, I carry it when I'm running in an area where I don't have a standard route so I can track the route via HandyRunner.

I have also texted while running...while not quite as dangerous as texting while driving, it is surprisingly close...

Fanilow

I used to carry mine in my hand until my husband found an arm band at Big Lots for 4 dollars. I use it for every run. I wish it had a brand name or some kind of identifier on it. I will certainly miss it if I lose it or it falls apart.

2014 goals

Well, there's always next year.

Loves the outdoors

I generally put my phone in a plastic bag and then in a pocket. I have an SPI belt which I use when I run without pockets. I find it fairly comfy, but on the whole I prefer not to have something around my waist and it always ends up at my waist as I have a classic hour glass shape.

I know this is a little off topic, but is a cell phone really necessary for safety on a short urban run?  It is not going to stop an attack like a whistle or mace might and you are probably not far from a business or someone's house if something does happen and you need to make a call.  I used to run after work with a co-worker (a man) who wouldn't run without his phone because he did not want to miss a work call in case there was a network outage.  I see running as the one time of the day I don't have to answer the phone and I refuse to carry one, but everyone's needs are different.

I also have kept my old small phone specifically for running. I'm not interested really in being contacted - I virtually never hear my phone ring anyway. However, I run a lot on river trails that don't have a lot of people out and about and many areas are a bit isolated. Having my phone with me gives me (probably falsely) a sense of extra safety as I know if I see someone dodgy I can ring someone for help. There have been a number of attacks on my local trails, so mainly I try to keep aware of my surroundings and hope my dog looks scary. I've also rung someone when I've approached someone who didn't look right, so that I was in "contact". I also fell over yesterday on a flat bit of trail, so it's kinda reassuring that someone could come and rescue my clumsy ass.

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

I've always used the ArmPocket things to carry my phone which is also my mp3 player and also my GPS and also my watch.  I rarely wear headphones, I usually just have the volume turned up on my phone and run in areas where I rarely see another person, but if I do wear headphones I have bluetooth headphones so I'm not tied down to a cord.  I rarely look at it though and have had a couple occasions where it overheats and shuts down if it is in the direct sunlight too long and was just thinking the other day that running with it on my arm for an entire marathon might get old.

Did that, and it does. My shoulder was actually kind of sore at the end. (Not that it compared with the crippling stiffness in my legs.) I used to always run with mty iPhone (usually in armband, sometimes in hand), as I used a GPS app to track miles, and for emergencies. However now I rarely do since I got a Garmin & realized I seldom needed it otherwise. Although it was useful a few times when running out of town & getting lost. Oh and it It did come in handy during said marathon, when I needed to call my wife to meet me at mile 18 with my asthma inhaler. 

Dave

I generally put my phone in a plastic bag and then in a pocket. I have an SPI belt which I use when I run without pockets. I find it fairly comfy, but on the whole I prefer not to have something around my waist and it always ends up at my waist as I have a classic hour glass shape.

This actually, if you're going to carry your phone, is a good idea.

Two years ago I was biking, and had my phone in my backpack.  Well, I got caught in a downpour, and the back is sort of waterproof, at the bottom....where my cell phone was.  So, it was, essentially, just sitting there, ON, in an inch of water for a half hour.  Totally fried.  I was sad, I loved that phone.

Anyway, now, when I run/bike, if I have a phone or mp3 player, or whatever, it goes in a plastic baggie.

Jeff

npaden

A bit of a hijack - what Bluetooth headphones do you use?

LG wireless headphones.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0052YFYFK/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1359516340&sr=8-2&pi=SL75&tag=mercubrows-20

You can actually talk on the phone with them, but I very rarely to that.  Mainly I use them when listening to audio books or podcasts on long runs.  They have gotten wet several times and even stopped working twice when I was in a downpour once and when I poured water on my head going through an aid station during a race, but after they dried out they worked fine again. I'm happy with them anyway.

Age: 50 Weight: 224 Height: 6'3" (Goal weight 195)

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

TJoseph

LG wireless headphones.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0052YFYFK/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1359516340&sr=8-2&pi=SL75&tag=mercubrows-20

You can actually talk on the phone with them, but I very rarely to that.  Mainly I use them when listening to audio books or podcasts on long runs.  They have gotten wet several times and even stopped working twice when I was in a downpour once and when I poured water on my head going through an aid station during a race, but after they dried out they worked fine again. I'm happy with them anyway.

I have this headset.  I have never used them running, so I can't say how well they would hold up to that, but they are great for everyday use.  I just tuck them under the collar of my shirt.