Marathon Shopping For Spring Race (Read 920 times)

jojo61397

Brief Intro:

I'm Jodi, formerly Jodirunsforautism on the RWOL boards.  Military wife born and raised in Minneapolis.  I'm shopping around for a marathon within close proximity to the gulf coast to run my 8th marathon.  I'm doing number 7 with the Goofy Challenge in January, and would like number 8 to be a sub-4:00 hour or maybe even a BQ effort (my long run pace is currently around 9:45-10:00 min/mile, my MP workouts have been around 8:30-8:45 min/mile).  I was looking at two marathons in particular and was wondering if anyone on the boards has run these two races, and what are your opinions of these races.  I looked at the reviews on Marathon Guide.com, but usually with reviews people either post if something really good happens or something really bad happens.

Anyway the two races are: Georgia Publix Marathon and the Knoxville Marathon (Mar 17th and Apr 7th respectfully).

Thanks,

Jodi

PR:

Half: 1:48 (March 3rd, 2013)

Full: 4:05:40 (March 17th, 2013)

2013/2014 Goals:

Sub-4:00 hour Marathon

Sub- 125 pounds
    Sub- 1:45 hour half.

tinman11

Greenway Marathon

Nashville, TN

March 24, 2013

Small Field

Experienced RD

BQ Race

$30.00

njones25

I can't say much about the Atlanta marathon, but I live in Knoxville and train on many of the roads incorporated into the course, and, while not the hilliest course you'll encounter, the frequent moderate undulations can affect your pace. So I don't know if it would be the most conducive course for a BQ. But I enjoy running here, and the marathon should be a good time nonetheless, so I hope you still consider it. -Nick

The Georgia Publix Marathon is dramatically hilly.  That's the reason I won't do it.  I usually do the half, but this year it conflicts with the Shamrock in Virginia Beach which is on the same day.

How far inland does the gulf coast extend ? Tennessee ? Did you mean "golf coast" ?

runlikeagirI

Atlanta is much hillier than Minneapolis.  Atlanta would not be my choice to attempt a PR or BQ.  I currently live in GA and ran TCM last year and it was a piece of friggin cake compared to the roads I trained on.  Not joking!

As RVDowning mentioned earlier, Shamrock Marathon in VA Beach is the same day as Publix (3/17) and flat as a pancake.  I have the exact same goals you do (sub-4 and if the stars align, a BQ), and I'm doing Shamrock.

Atlanta is much hillier than Minneapolis.  Atlanta would not be my choice to attempt a PR or BQ.  I currently live in GA and ran TCM last year and it was a piece of friggin cake compared to the roads I trained on.  Not joking!

As RVDowning mentioned earlier, Shamrock Marathon in VA Beach is the same day as Publix (3/17) and flat as a pancake.  I have the exact same goals you do (sub-4 and if the stars align, a BQ), and I'm doing Shamrock.

runlikeagirl:  You didn't kill any body while you were on the Big Creek Greenway Sunday did you?

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/body-found-on-alpharetta-greenway/nTXfp/

jojo61397

I do train on quite a bit of hills (Gulf Coast of FL is pretty hilly), so I'm not too worried about hills.  

Jodi

PR:

Half: 1:48 (March 3rd, 2013)

Full: 4:05:40 (March 17th, 2013)

2013/2014 Goals:

Sub-4:00 hour Marathon

Sub- 125 pounds
                  Sub- 1:45 hour half.

runlikeagirI

The Atlanta marathons typically have 1250-1500 feet of climb, don't know how that compares to what you're used to.

RV-LOL! No, I was on the Bethelview side.

Darthlawyer

i live in knoxville as well, and i train on the mid part of the course five days a week.  to call it mildy hilly is a gross understatement.  it is not a course that i would attempt a first bq.  the marathon goes right by my house, and while i have not participated, it appears to be well organized, but the course is poorly designed from a speed standpoint.

Hmm. Was planning to run Atlanta in March, but VA Beach sounds appealing. Except for the 8 hr drive home.

MTA: does the Shamrock sell out early?

Hmm. Was planning to run Atlanta in March, but VA Beach sounds appealing. Except for the 8 hr drive home.

I'm flying; too long a drive.  (... even if I DO have my new car by then. Smile )  I'm in Suwanee.

The Half does; the full shouldn't. I think there is a price increase 1/1.

MonkeyBunny

Take a look at the Albany Ga Snickers marathon March 3. Flat and fast

Jojo I'm in Tampa. The only hills we have are I tercoadtsl bridges. Where do you run?

Houston Marathon 1-13-13

Rock n Roll St. Pete Half 2-10-13

Gasparilla 15K 2-23-13

Armadillo 10K 3-9-13

Ogden Marathon 5-18-13

Steamtown?

Baystate?

The Goal:  Boston Marathon 4-20-15

Imminent Catastrophe

I do train on quite a bit of hills (Gulf Coast of FL is pretty hilly), so I'm not too worried about hills.  

Well, they do tend to slow your time a bit, if you're trying to BQ. And Georgia can have sweltering heat or ice storms.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016