Audible Warning? (Read 1481 times)

BeeRunB

On a bike trail, I will first look behind me. If there are no bikes or people coming up

behind me, I will shift to the far part of the left lane and not really say anything.

I use this wide birth especially with people with dogs (which have jumped on me

or lashed out at me a few times). It's good to give people their space if you can,

especially lone women running--never make them feel like you're getting

in their space. Now, if a jam is happening--bikes and people everywhere,

all converging on the same point, I'll go off the pavement and pass on the right

and say "coming up on your right."  I always try to make it easier for the bikes.

Every now and then, I'll come up on 3 or more women  walking and pushing

their babies, blocking the almost the whole trail. If clear, I will move to the left lane

and claim it and give a shout that I'm coming through, usually making them all

converge into the right lane. Once in awhile, if I'm up for

a tongue lashing , I'll give a little "it's unsafe for bikers and your babies to be

hogging the whole trail" remark.

A couple nights ago, on a residential street, I was running towards two late-teens/early 20 year old young ladies. The sidewalks were not usable due to snow/ice, so all three of us were in the road. A car was behind all three of us. It passed me, and then went by them just before I caught up to them. The car prevented them from hearing me.

When I went by the first one, she yelled "MY GOD!" The second one turned back and yelled the same thing.  As I went by one of them said, "f*cking Ninja." I took it as a compliment.

just in case you see those 'ladies' again, here's a t-shirt for you:

http://www.cafepress.com/+ninja_tshirt,134785296

protoplasm72

I mostly run on a sparsely populated forest preserve trail.  I always try to make my presence known before I pass because people tend to freak out when a stranger sneaks up on them alone in a forest.  I mostly use the cough or shuffle or I purposely step on some branches.  If they have dogs and the dog doesn't alert them that I'm coming then I yell something from a distance so they have time to control the dog.  Only situation I haven't figured out is the group of 3-4 middle aged women walking and talking.  No matter what I do they don't hear me and then they freak out when I pass them.  

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Shikari1

Cotton mouth

With all the huffing and puffing I am doing, most people hear me before they see me. 

keeponrunning

I was running on a trail that isn't used that often in the winter, and it was late afternoon so most people who were to use it would have already been there.  I'm running along, taking photos (it was an easy run).  It's silent except for the birds chirping and river running.  I suddenly hear music behind me.  Scared the living daylights outta me!!  Turned around to see a guy walking behind me and pick up his cellphone.  Would've been nice to know I wasn't alone.  

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

[Ok, never mind. Removing mean comment about dogs that don't bark.]

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xor

[Now I am happy]

12-week layoff

I have found that calling out, "On your left," or 'Passing," get me a lot of strange looks, especially from older people.  Now I just say, "Don't let me scare you...I'm about to pass you."  It seems to put them at ease. 

I shall have to remember that when I'm a zombie. 

What I hate are the walkers that do hear me coming, then they stop, turn and look at me, and wait, and wait, and wait, until I pass them.  It sucks being slow.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

What I hate are the walkers that do hear me coming, then they stop, turn and look at me, and wait, and wait, and wait, until I pass them.  It sucks being slow.

At least *you* are passing *them*.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AroundTheHorn

If the keys in my pocket don't give me away at first I usually step off into the grass until I pass them. I try my best to not startle them even though sometimes it's inevitable.  I'm waiting for the day I step in dog shit as result of my courtesy.

Roads, where we're going we don't need any....roads.
                          LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Run through the grass on tiptoes until you are as close as possible, then yell "Boo!"

xor

Run through the grass on tiptoes until you are as close as possible, then yell "Boo!"

This doesn't work because it is accompanied by the "sneaky" cartoon music... tinkatinkatinkatinka...  They know.

GGW

I usually only give warnings in the following two situations:

- I am passing another runner or walker on a narrow trail

- I am running up a hill and passing a biker, in which case I am sure always to call out "on your left".  They dig that.

So true about the climbing bikers! How about passing rollerbladers...they especially "dig it" when you announce that you're passing them