Vegan runner needs tips (Read 226 times)

lauraasmith

Hi, I am a 40 year old, female vegan runner (25 - 35m a week) and I enjoy training for half marathons. Any tips for maintaining my health and a vegan diet while increasing my running skills?

Zelanie

Hi! Smile

I'm a vegetarian, not a vegan, but I was wondering what you have found challenging about running and your diet so far.  Are you trying to figure out fueling without gels, or just how to get enough protein/calcium/iron, or something else?

obiebyke

$5 says spam.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

an amazing likeness

I wouldn't bet against you.  But if not, I'll point out to the OP that there's a Veggies on the Run group here on RA which may be of interest.

$5 says spam.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Hoban-Jay

Scott Jureck, one of the top world class ultra-marathoners is vegan.  He has book out that is based upon his running, but has recipes throughout.  Unfortunately, I forget the title though...but that's what we have Google for!

running metalhead

Scott Jureck, one of the top world class ultra-marathoners is vegan.  He has book out that is based upon his running, but has recipes throughout.  Unfortunately, I forget the title though...but that's what we have Google for!

"Eat and Run"  Wink
              http://scottjurek.com/eatandrun/

What am I doing writing in the forums? Should be out training :P

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
              - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
              - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
              - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
              - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
              - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

running metalhead

Hi, I am a 40 year old, female vegan runner (25 - 35m a week) and I enjoy training for half marathons. Any tips for maintaining my health and a vegan diet while increasing my running skills?

Not much actually.

I am vegetarian (not vegan) and I keep a detailed food log. Regarding the always so hyped protein: Even in days when I eat 100% plant based the amount of essential aminoacids are way above my daily needs, between 120% and 210%. I assume that you know that these essential aminoacids are what you use to build proteins if your own (muscles and other structures).

The only thing you should care about is to get enough calories. It has happened to me already that he amount burnt was way above of my intake. You may therefore want to sign up for a food log. You should keep am eye on your weekly / monthly energy balance and ensure it's 100% or close to it.

I don't think that you should have special concerns about B12, iron, etc, as I suppose you are already well educated on this regard.

(Mate, what the heck? ... got hooked again... LOL... kicking my own butt out the door, LOL)

annette0221

I am vegan and I feel best when I stick to whole foods / avoid processed food.  I think that's probably true for anyone though, not just vegans.  Eating lots of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and beans definitely provides all the nutrition and calories I need (including protein).

northernman

Fight The Future

Here's a tip. Ambrosia apples, only $0.49 at Kwik Trip.

(Not spam, obiebyke - just a satisfied customer)

All I am saying, is give beans a chance.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Lentils, beans and quinoa are great protein sources.  Leafy greens (spinach, kale, etc.) can be good sources of iron.   I avoid processed soy products and fried foods.  Both seem to have a deleterious effect on my running efforts, as well as my overall feeling of well-being.

northernman

Fight The Future

All I am saying, is give beans a chance.

I love beans. But it's important to have a dog nearby who can serve as a scapegoat

I love beans. But it's important to have a dog nearby who can serve as a scapegoat

Gross.

It also helpful to have Mediterranean constitution.  No dog necessary.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Gross.

We found that things were stinky for a while when we first transitioned to a plant-based diet, but it seemed like our bodies made the adjustment and the "musical fruit" effect went away.

Our family is relatively new to eating a plant-based diet (4 or 5 months now, I think?), but I'm currently running around 30 mpw and haven't had any problems.  I just eat plenty of a varied diet and so far, so good.

"...You have to have faith, to know that you can do what you want to do."  -Joseph Nzau

running metalhead

Gross.

We don't eat too many beans in the Mediterranean, more rice, pasta and stuff similar to cous-cous.
                                OK, we eat some but not as much as the Brits or even my fellow Dutch.

The "Chernobyl Effect" of beans is actually caused by the spicy stuff you US Americans and Mexicans use with them. I bet you never heard about English breakfast being gas-inducing. In the part of the Mediterranean I know (Spain, Italy, France, Morocco and partly Egypt) we only use very little spices and these are only garlic, bay leaf, paprika (sweet), parsley and to a lesser extent cumin and peppermint. OK, some recipes use other stuff like coriander and I know that in Morocco they use a hot red stuff (can't recall the name), but neither Italians nor French or Spaniards use it (oh, I forgot the Portuguese... but I have to confess that I have no idea what these guys eat).

Cumin is also a awesome to avoid the afore mentioned effect, just put a few grains into the cooking water of your beans and forget about the dog Wink