myths about running (Read 1897 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have actually never heard this before but I did hear a variation of it long long time ago in my high school days. It had something to do with sperm count and nothing to do with running.

Ha, that must have originated from someone who really doesn't know anything about reproductive physiology! Tongue

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Neil Nicholls

"every living creature has exactly 2.5-billion heartbeats before the heart stops working."

still sounds like a myth...

Hoban-Jay

Interestingly enough, since this rule applies to every living thing, a hummingbird averages about 900 beats per minute in it's 5-5.5 year maximum lifetime.  Tortises have heart rates around 30-50 beats per minute.  And fruit flys have tiny little hearts that average millions of heart beats per minute.

Hummingbirds live about 2 years...if that.   Fruit flies don't have hearts, heart beats or blood.  We appreciate your point nonetheless....

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

"every living creature has exactly 2.5-billion heartbeats before the heart stops working."

Count 'em if you don't believe him.

northernman

Fight The Future

Hummingbirds live about 2 years...if that.   Fruit flies don't have hearts, heart beats or blood.  We appreciate your point nonetheless....

Not sure if you count hemolymph as blood, but they definitely have hearts and heart beats

http://phys.org/news91820335.html

every living creature has exactly 2.5-billion heartbeats before the heart stops working. 

This is the stupidest thing I have read today.   I am going to disprove this.....my heart is going to have 2,500,000,001 beats....so there.

This is a wonderful example of something that is not true, but can be a very useful attitude to hold at times. Like, "you're looking great!" at mile 20. No you're not. But better if you think you are.

Exhibit A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjzWoWwYad0&feature=player_detailpage#t=304s

Looks pretty good to me!

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Exhibit A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjzWoWwYad0&feature=player_detailpage#t=304s

Looks pretty good to me!

At about 4:45 in, the commentators are making a big deal out of his winning both Boston and New York (in 2011) and crushing both course records, and one commentator says he is the gold medal favorite for London. Which is funny to hear now, after he wasn't chosen for the team.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

At about 4:45 in, the commentators are making a big deal out of his winning both Boston and New York (in 2011) and crushing both course records, and one commentator says he is the gold medal favorite for London. Which is funny to hear now, after he wasn't chosen for the team.

Sad

Especially after seeing how arbitrary the selection was and then to add insult to injury the stuff with excluding Makau because he didn't explain to AK exactly why he had a bad race...and then his agent was like "actually, I sent you a lengthy memo explaining it".

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

BillionMiler

"I can just start a race without training and totally beat everyone."

"Running makes you SOOOO tired!"

"Old shoes are just as good as new running shoes."

"Runners don't need strength training."

"Long stretches are very good for you before you run"

"Eat lots of carbohydrates the day before you run"

"It does not matter what your form looks like"

I can not stand it when people say things like this!!!! I make sure all the children on my team know the truth about what non-runners say.

BillionMiler

What about aborted, miscarried, or babies that died in childbirth?????? Or babies that were born with heart misfunctions????????

Whoever wrote that should go back to preschool.

bhearn

"Eat lots of carbohydrates the day before you run"

Well, I do a one-day carb load before marathons and ultras. Works pretty well.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What about aborted, miscarried, or babies that died in childbirth?????? Or babies that were born with heart misfunctions????????

My computer's battery will run for 3 hours before it dies. Of course, if I run my car over it and throw it in the pool after just an hour, it will die too.

That myth (which is indeed a myth) refers to the maximum number of heartbeats. Not the minimum.

A little off topic but...only 30 seconds off the A standard!

Good luck with your training!

The simple statement "You're Looking Great" when someone says it to me while I'm running in a race,....I'm SURE that's a myth because I dont think I ever look very good in a race........sometimes in training 'maybe', but in a race, I dont think so....

From my wife, I often hear:    

- "You always should take at least one rest day per week and even better two"  I tell her my 3 mile days are my rest days

- "Too much running is bad for you"  - to which I reply the cut off is somewhere over 100 MPW and I'll never get there anyway

-And of course there is always "Any one that runs as much as you is really obsessed and its just not good for you"..........to which I reply, then you must be obsessed with watching 'The King of Queens' reruns, becasue that's what you're doing when I'm running..

From my brothers  - 'You're just too thin - you dont look good' - from guys who have a BMI of about 30 to 35% - and double chins (high blood pressure and cholesterol that's totally off the charts).

From my mother - 'Maybe you should cut back from your running so you're not neglecting your family so much'......to which I reply, they are watching "The King of Queens' reruns and I've already seen it so I'll run while they are snuggled in....that or I run in the early morning before they get up anyway...

YEP - when your the ONLY RUNNER in the family, its exciting to know the the entire family knows more about what you should do for your running than you do........its very comforting....

Champions are made when no one is watching