Eating before early morning runs (Read 1177 times)

I typically get up at 4:30 - 5:00 AM and am out the door running within 15-20 minutes. For a long time, I ran on an empty stomach. For the last several weeks, I've eaten a piece of bread or a banana with about 8 oz. of juice before my runs. I'm hearing and reading conflicting points of view on this. Some say this impairs fat burning and aerobic development. Others say that because liver and blood glycogen supplies are low when first waking, that it is essential to replenish them in order to fully benefit from the workout. I tend to have a better attitude when I eat a little before my early morning runs. Eating 1-3 hours prior to my runs is not an option. I'd be interested to hear what others have experienced with this.....
      I seldom eat before a run. In fact, during the week, I never eat. Typically, before a Sat long run I will have 6-8 oz of Gatorade, but not much else. Maybe a banana before a run of 17-20 mi, but not always. I will typically eat some oatmeal with cinnamon, raisins, almonds, blueberries and brown sugar before a marathon or race where I know I will be waiting around for a bit. Works for me.
        On runs that are 30 minutes or less I just drink something before heading out in the morning. If the run is longer I try to have 200 - 300 calories about an hour before running. But this can also depend on when and what I ate the night before.

Hoping to Run Again :-(

I've always run "on empty" in the mornings and at least 3 hours after a meal kind of thing other times, but lately I've tried half a banana and my coffee pre-run Sundays (about 30 mins before) and I must admit, it seems to be making for a better long run. But I'm with you on weekday runs - up and out at 5 a.m. no time for anything.
          ~ Fly ~
          Only as much as I dream can I be.
          veggies on the run

Giants Fan

I never eat before a run. I used to try before my long runs, but now with the heat I'm having to head out early, so I don't typically eat before those either. But when I do have time, or if its before a race, I'll eat a special K bar or a rice cake with peanut butter on it.

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

My Hero

I haven't done a lot of research or conducted any of my own studies regarding fat burning and aerobic development when running, but I find it hard to believe that you could wake up with low glycogen levels unless you have had a glycogen depleting the run the day before and not put it back. If that was the case, then all the "pasta parties" held at marathons the evening before, would be moved to just before the marathon. I believe that the typical banana & bagel offering that you find at the beginning of most races is just a "top of your tank" type of thing, but filling of your tank is done the previous day.
                I haven't done a lot of research or conducted any of my own studies regarding fat burning and aerobic development when running, but I find it hard to believe that you could wake up with low glycogen levels unless you have had a glycogen depleting the run the day before and not put it back. If that was the case, then all the "pasta parties" held at marathons the evening before, would be moved to just before the marathon. I believe that the typical banana & bagel offering that you find at the beginning of most races is just a "top of your tank" type of thing, but filling of your tank is done the previous day.
                You are referring to muscle glycogen. My understanding, is that liver glycogen does get depleted during an overnight fast. Liver glygogen is used to regulate proper blood sugar levels. I'm not a doctor, but that is my understanding. A technical, but interesting explanation: http://www.med.unibs.it/~marchesi/glycogen.html ETA: Here is a better (less technical) explanation of how carbohydrates are broken down an how glycogen is stored and used. http://www.unisanet.unisa.edu.au/08366/h&p2carb.htm

My Hero

You are referring to muscle glycogen. My understanding, is that liver glycogen does get depleted during an overnight fast. Liver glygogen is used to regulate proper blood sugar levels. I'm not a doctor, but that is my understanding. A technical, but interesting explanation: http://www.med.unibs.it/~marchesi/glycogen.html ETA: Here is a better (less technical) explanation of how carbohydrates are broken down an how glycogen is stored and used. http://www.unisanet.unisa.edu.au/08366/h&p2carb.htm
                  Guess I'm a bit confused. To quote from The unisanet link you posted states the following: "The amount of glycogen in muscle changes substantially between the fed state and following heavy exercise. The amount of glycogen stored in the liver is more constant and falls substantially after prolonged starvation." I don't know, after reading this, would call an "overnight fast" prolonged starvation. ??

A Saucy Wench

I dont eat before most morning runs, I usully have a small bite (140 cal) before a longrun. Lately I experimented with the same before speedwork. DOesnt seem necessary before intervals, but did help before a race pace run.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Guess I'm a bit confused. To quote from The unisanet link you posted states the following: "The amount of glycogen in muscle changes substantially between the fed state and following heavy exercise. The amount of glycogen stored in the liver is more constant and falls substantially after prolonged starvation." I don't know, after reading this, would call an "overnight fast" prolonged starvation. ??
                      This one explains overnight liver glycogen depletion better. http://www.ebragger.com/710/why-you-should-eat-early-morning-training-ride! Here's a quote from a book I just read. This is what has prompted me to eat a little before my early morning runs. From: "Food for Fitness, Eat Right to Train Right," by Lance Armstrong's coach, Chris Charmichael. "I remember when, a few years ago, athletes began to pick up the bad habit of training early in the morning without eating; they were convinced it would help them "train" thier bodies to better burn fat for fuel. Fortunately, word got out that this was not a good way to start the day. Training or competing on an empty stomach does not improve performance; rather, it may cause additional protein to be sacrificed for fuel. After an 8-10 hour fast, you would start exercising with depleted carbohydrate stores. In these conditions, your body converts protien to carbohydrate in order to maintain adequate blood sugar levels."
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

In these conditions, your body converts protien to carbohydrate in order to maintain adequate blood sugar levels."
                        Is this the same as gluconeogenesis--when the body converts excess protein to carbohydrates...but if there is no excess protein, it makes sense that the body would start using existing muscle tissue. I, personally, cannot run on an empty stomach. I have tried it. It was awful. I need at least some PB on toast or a hard-boiled egg and a slice of buttered toast. Otherwise I am miserable. YMMV.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I, personally, cannot run on an empty stomach. I have tried it. It was awful. I need at least some PB on toast or a hard-boiled egg and a slice of buttered toast. Otherwise I am miserable. YMMV.
                          Same here. I always try to eat a little something about 30 minutes before running. I always have a banana and peanut butter on toast before races, but that's probably at least partially a mental thing.

Half Fanatic #846

Excluding longer races I usually "run on empty", even my 14-15 milers, except for water. I usually run first thing in the morning and the last thing I've had to eat is usually 5-6 hours earlier. When my long runs get closer to 20, then I'll consider Gatorade and gel paks well into my run...I always try to eat and drink right after my runs Cool

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

I recently switched to not eating before morning runs. I've noticed no difference in performance or run quality. So far this has been up to 13 miles.

-------------------------------------
                              5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
                              10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
                              1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
                              Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

If it's anything over 90-120 minutes I'll eat beforehand. I've found it very hard to do 3-6+ hours without eating.