Calling anyone interested in a Running - Wizard training group (Read 1462 times)

Now I have followed the plan for a week. Unfortunately, the weather has been terrible for runnng the last two Sundays why the long runs have been a disaster. Today, we had a snow storm why the runnng was on a treadmill and I only did 14 km. The best run this week was the Out-and-back run yesterday with 15 km in 4.41/km In beautiful weather.

Next week I really need a good Sunday run, so my priority-runs can become a success...

I'm definitely still dreaming of a sub-marathon in the Spring. A report will be ready next Sunday.

I have signed up as well.

Goal Marathon in early May next year and looking to go sub 3.10 (based on HM this year). Will be looking in on this with interest.

Only thing bothering me is eating enough to help recovery especially as I am now down to 172 pounds at 6ft2ins and feel very slim. Many peeps have said that I look unhealthy (so says someone who obviously isnt)

Will look to post weekly stats.

Christirei

Nobby, thanks so much for the advice!! Was thinking that I should continue what I'm doing for the next few weeks, so trying a 5K plan sounds good to me and will help me stay focused until time to gear up for the marathon. I appreciate your input!

zonykel

Signed up for the training wizard and I've been using it for just over a week. So far so good. I like the different paces and the recovery indicator.

Question: For the recovery indicators, is there a way to view the archived information? It would be interesting to see how rest heart rate and weight change over time. Obviously, I could log it separately, but if I'm already entering the info on the website, transferring that data to the running ahead log would be useful. I see that Running Ahead's log has entries for Weight and Heart Rate (but not sleep).

Things are going in the right way for me. Since Sunday running conditions have been perfect. I have a tendency to push the pace a little bit faster than the recommended pace in the schedules. It is, however, just wonderful to be able to run with good weather conditions. They will probably be ruined tomorrow but it is quite fun with all the changes.

Compared to many other schedules this plan has some interesting differences which seem quite logical:

1. The longest run is 15 weeks before the target race (the last week in the aerobic phase). In many schedules it will be 3-6 weeks before the target race. There will be many challenging medium-long runs in the remaining phases.

2. The highest mileage is 15 weeks before the target race. I assume that this is because we have to be aerobic monsters before entering the more demanding high-intensity efforts.

3. The pace of the Aerobic runs is fastest in the aerobic phase. I assume that this is because there are so many demanding runs in the other phases.

MonkeyBunny

I have a 17 week plan that starts Jan 21 for Ogden on May 18. I have the Houston Marathon on Jan 13 and I'm giving myself a major down week. I need to figure out how to capture RHR.

Houston Marathon 1-13-13

Rock n Roll St. Pete Half 2-10-13

Gasparilla 15K 2-23-13

Armadillo 10K 3-9-13

Ogden Marathon 5-18-13

Steamtown?

Baystate?

The Goal:  Boston Marathon 4-20-15

Hi MonkeyBunny,

When you write RHR are you then thinking of the resting heart rate? If you have a heart rate monitor, try to take it every morning when you wake up before you get out of bed. Use the lowest rate as you resting heart rate.

I still have a tendency to run most of my trips with too high a heart rate. However, I don't feel the slightest bit burned out yet Wink

I really enjoy to have quite a few half-long aerobic runs during a week. As I cannot quite keep up with the high suggested training volume, my primary focus is getting the 4 high-priority trips done. The remaining 3 which in the aerobic phase are one aerobic run, one fartlek and one slow jog are also important but I won't moan when one of these trips is a failure...

I don't know if this thread should be used to tell something about the running and mileage for the target race or if it should be written in the user group.

This week my mileage was just below 102 km with a run each day. In general my pace is too high on the runs which also means that the HR is on the high side. On the other hand, I feel great after every workout. Especially the Out-Back workout on Saturdays I enjoy. Yesterday, target pace was 4.49/km but I ran it in 4.34/km as it can be difficult to slow down. Today, I ran the long run of 25 km in 4.53/km instead of the prescribed 5.08/km... I believe that having 4 runs each week with a mileage above 15 km will do tremendous things to my stamina because I typically suffer when I have run more than 80 minutes. It is of course easier to manage the mileage when you have some vacation and the weather is forgiveable but I feel I'm on track.

Have a great New Year!

SubDood

Question: For the recovery indicators, is there a way to view the archived information? It would be interesting to see how rest heart rate and weight change over time. Obviously, I could log it separately, but if I'm already entering the info on the website, transferring that data to the running ahead log would be useful. I see that Running Ahead's log has entries for Weight and Heart Rate (but not sleep).

Zonykel,

Your question piqued my interest. I don't know if your question has been answered elsewhere, but I discovered some pretty cool things here that I thought I should share.

I went to the "Reports" screen to create a report. For the Y-axis, the pull-down menu actually includes "Sleep." So I selected it and created a report to see what would happen. A graph appeared with 3 data points for hours slept. I did NOT enter the 3 pieces of info in Running Ahead; I entered them in the Running Wizard "Recovery Indicator" screen, and it transferred automatically over to RA. So, even though you can't ENTER Hours of Sleep from within RA (I don't think), you can VIEW your Sleep data entered in Running Wizard from within RA. I found this amazing, particularly because my Running Wizard program doesn't start for another week -- I just happened to enter my Recovery Indicator data there on a few occasions just to test it out. At the time, it seemed to ignore this action, but as I've now found out, it stored the info and allows me to use it to create Reports in RA.

If you look at my running log, I've created 3 graphs on my Summary Page for the 3 Recovery Indicators (Sleep, RHR, and Weight) that appear below my graph of daily running mileage. There are probably more elegant ways to display this info, but it works for me.

Anyhow, kudos to someone (Eric, I believe?) for making the 2 systems (RA and RW) work together very well. But this is perhaps a "hidden gem" of a feature that I find quite useful.

Let me know if this is helpful.

Bob

zonykel

For the progression calibration run, do the warm up and cool down periods count in the total time of the workout?

JML

I think of the pcr as a tempo run and run a separate warmup and cool down. 10-15 minutes warmup before I start my garmin and 10 minutes cool down after I complete the tempo phase.  For me, busting out the pcr pace from a cold start or trying to hit the overall pace /time goal including warmup in the tempo phase would be daunting.

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

zonykel

What I did was warm up (~10 minutes), then run at suggested pace for the PCR (9:20 pace in this case), and then cool down for 10 minutes. Total time running was 55 minutes, which was the suggested time for today's run. Not sure if I'm cutting the PCR too short by including the warm up and cool down in the total time.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Warm up.  Then do distance / duration of pcr. Then cool down.  Three separate activities.

mta:  total time given for work out is just for pcr.

steph  

zonykel

Thanks for the clarification . I was cutting my out and black & PCR runs short, then.

For the progression calibration run, do the warm up and cool down periods count in the total time of the workout?

At first I thought--"Check the workout description!!"  Well, what do you know, it's missing in it!! (oops!)  Daily workout's description, which you will get to before you get your over-all schedule, says to warm-up briefly.

What we try to achieve with Running Wizard, and this is the objective of Lydiard training, is to get yourself ready for the race each phase...  So, naturally, we wouldn't worry too much about "the race" in the first 1/3 of the plan.  Pace is slower, for someone training for shorter event, the duration is quite a bit more (even up to 2-hours for 5k!).  Out & Back is just more or less a glorified tempo run.  Pace is still quite a bit slower than what you would expect of the actual race.  For O&B, we suggest you do just a little bit of warm-up, not much.  This is still a good part training and nothing more.  Some athletes call this "competitive juice" but we try to jealously guard it.  Those who "race their training" tend to use it up, mentally burn out.  However long you do (3-6 months), it's a long way before the race.  We want you to feel excited and eager to go!!  We don't want you to feel like; "Man, I gotta race hard again...!??"

You might notice, when it comes to PCR (it's basically the same workout), you'll get a bit more race-specific mind.  You want to start thinking about race-ready warm-up.  Hopefully, by then, you would have played around enough with O&B that you have some idea of what you need to do. PCR is a bit more serious.  You may have noticed, the pace gets quite a bit faster in PCR than O&B.  And, with added quality workouts like hills or intervals, it would come naturally.  The time would drop quite rapidly.  But you still want to guard it somewhat.  As you move on to the final stage, Coordination Phase, you'll either do time trial or more O&B.  By then the pace gets pretty specific.  For those workouts, you'd want to experiment your real warm-up.  O&B and even PCR are still tinker toys.  You won't open up and GO until the final few weeks.  If you warm-up too seriously, with lengthy jog and strides and all that, for O&B too early, you're already over the head and want to go hard.  You don't want to do that as yet.  Those who are not a minimalist, just wear your regular shoes for O&B but maybe started thinking about race-shoes with PCR.

Always step by step.  Always think about getting ready for the next step...  Peaking is what you want.  You start slowly and get more and more serious as you move on with phases.

JML:

Thanks for being such a great spokes-person!!  I never got you Race-Week / Non-Race-Week plans, did I?  So sorry about that.  I think we've got 6-days and 7-days but not 5 and 4 yet and that's when it fell off...  I'll work on that.  How's your training coming along?  You were going to do a 5k race in January???  How did it go?