PR's - rules for claiming or stating a PR? (Read 1382 times)

Chris UK

I haven't tried this, but I wonder if you can put the distance as 5000m on the track race and 5km on the road race and have it treat them differently?

Nice one Jeff - that does work. Eight ball

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

MTA:

But, the crappy side of that is that my PR for a 1/2 marathon is much faster than what shows.  What shows is leg 3 of a 1/2 Ironman.

As many have stated, I guess I need to race more to motivate me to update my slow PR's....

There's also a box you can check to "exclude from PR list" if you care about it.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

That Eric guy is something else.

a PR is a PR. 

Jump out of a plane at 25,000 feet.  Pull the cord at 5,000 feet.

You've just done a 5k in 2 minutes.  Nice work!

What would be the effect of weight loss in this 2 min 5K attempt.  What is the proper form for a PR attempt? does mileage matter or is race specific stuff more important.  

kcam

I haven't tried this, but I wonder if you can put the distance as 5000m on the track race and 5km on the road race and have it treat them differently?

This is a nice feature (?) of the RA log.  I use '5000m' for track races, '5km' for road races and '3.1mi' for a XC '5k' course.  The log preserves this formatting.  

DoppleBock

PR = Personal Record

If you are not an elite - It means how ever you personally want to record it

I personally only take races that are either cerified or as a matter of my opinion are accurate.  I do not take spits from race.  So my 5 mile PR is slower than I crossed 5 miles in my 10k PR.

With the exception of my 15k PR all of mine are on certified courses ... well accept the 50k and 50M - I really do not think they were certified either.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Menace to Sobriety

Oh, and on a side note, I did a "5K" race while on vacation this summer that took 26:06... I forgot about that race... The problem was that it was 3.59 miles on my Garmin.

I would not consider a Garmin, or any other GPS device accurate enough to measure or verify a course. Measuring a half mile long over 5K is a lot of error, but I've seen that much and worse before.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

...  I do not take spits from race...

Although official IAAF records can be set this way - provided it's a split from the start to some intermediate distance and you finish the whole race.

I would not consider a Garmin, or any other GPS device accurate enough to measure or verify a course. Measuring a half mile long over 5K is a lot of error, but I've seen that much and worse before.

+1, although some of your smaller, noncertified local races are measured with one.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

This was the 1st Annual race supporting kids in a small town in northern Michigan.

The race was around a country block, and the likelihood that it was exactly 5k would have been a miracle.

With that said, there were 40 people in the race, and 15 of them were from out of state (my extended family that was going to a family reunion there that weekend).

After the race, they changed the results to show that it was a 5.5k race (and based on mapmyrun.com and my Garmin, it was 3.6 miles).

Regarless, point taken regarding the accuracy of a GPS device.  I've run into those challenges before.

Thanks,

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Sounds like you got yourself a 5.5k PR.  Congrats!

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

A good way to tell if a course is off is to see how other runners you know well ran compared to usual/expected results, or look up times for the guys who seem to run every race every weekend and compare.  I once ran 16:40 on a "TAC certified" course in high school and my joy at breaking 17 minutes was short lived because everyone else on our team beat their PR's by 30-60 seconds as well.  So I scrapped that one...that was probably closer to 2.9-2.95 miles.

Since I trained way too hard when I was younger, I often set PR's in practice and they counted too if I could prove the distance, like 4 mile split and 5 mile time on our home course and my 10 mile measured several ways.  I feel I earned those, and often at the expense of an upcoming meet...28:46 for 5 miles because I felt really, really good one nice Tuesday, then came up with 30:53 at the meet on Saturday on the same course as I was coming down with a sinus infection.  Stupid,stupid.

But I didn't count it if there was something else weird - I ran 4:20-something in a rinky dink local mile race but the elevation dropped like 250 feet....people have broken 4 in that race - and I never broke 4:40 on a track, so I don't feel honest with myself counting that either.  When I first started running in middle school I ran amazing PR's that I later erased when I got to high school and found out the course I ran was really short (back in the late 80s there was no GPS or mapmyrun).  Luckily I didn't tell the coach about the 4:58 "mile" I had done in 8th grade on no training when I couldn't break 5:10 freshman year on 3x the training, otherwise I would have been yelled at a lot more than I was.

This thread delivers on many levels and should be saved in the Pantheon of RunningAhead PR threads.

Not only do we have descriptions of high school races from both Globule and kpk33x, but kpk went the extra mile (pun intended) and brought us back to an 8th grade PR.

Bravo.

I had a friend was a big baseball player, back in high school Babe Ruth...he could blow that speed ball by you...make you look like a fool, boy

Runners run

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I'm just sorry I didn't break out my first sub-6: a mile fun run victory from 6th grade.  Wait, I just did.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.