PR's - rules for claiming or stating a PR? (Read 1382 times)

Why is it sideways?

I'm just sorry I didn't break out my first sub-6: a mile fun run victory from 6th grade.  Wait, I just did.

Ha ha. I love it. Hey, the only thing worse than telling stories about the glory days is having no stories to tell.

Just like my father in law's high school exploits and run ins with the law which he was able to get out of because his brother was a judge.  The 117th time listening to it gets more entertaining than the 116th, small details get added each time.

DoppleBock

I have found many certified race courses with horribly placed mile markers.

Hell the year I ran Las Vegas Marathon - I hit Mile # 25 marker in 2:53 and mile # 26 in 2:55 ... Finished in 255 and some change - So I suppose I ran that mile in a sub 3 minute range ... 

Although official IAAF records can be set this way - provided it's a split from the start to some intermediate distance and you finish the whole race.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

I do or do not do it for another reason - It allows my fragile ego more opportunities to be boosted up with a PR

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

C-R

Hell the year I ran Las Vegas Marathon - I hit Mile # 25 marker in 2:53 and mile # 26 in 2:55 ...

Sounds like a new 1 mile PR and WR as an added bonus. WTG DB!

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Just like my father in law's high school exploits and run ins with the law which he was able to get out of because his brother was a judge.  The 117th time listening to it gets more entertaining than the 116th, small details get added each time.

Glad you think so, since its the first time I've mentioned that

This thread delivers on many levels and should be saved in the Pantheon of RunningAhead PR threads.

Not only do we have descriptions of high school races from both Globule and kpk33x, but kpk went the extra mile (pun intended) and brought us back to an 8th grade PR.

Bravo.

I had a friend was a big baseball player, back in high school Babe Ruth...he could blow that speed ball by you...make you look like a fool, boy

Ah ah ah Mikey if you read closely they were not PR's.Joking

I ended up borrowing the measuring wheel that you had to walk and push my coach used to measure courses and measured it myself.   The low tech stuff may still be better than today's geniuses who buy $400 devices that aren't much better than a random guess.

Just curious what people feel and how people use the term "PR".
                  (Of course, it doesn't matter, as we're all racing against ourselves and testing ourselves)

Cheers,
                  Brian

Its your PR so you can do what you want to...Smile

I guess I'm kind of old school and I don't record anything as a "PR" unless it was acheived in a race on a certified course or on a track.  I figure that I want to compare all out efforts that were intended as such under reasonably controlled conditions.  Part of the whole PR thing for me calls draws upon the race-day magic.   My training runs are always slower than what I can dredge up during a race.  The mile splits in races aren't always accurate and if I ran a fast mile split in a long race that is faster than my mile PR, chances are I could go out an run a mile race as fast or faster than the split.  

... because I might finish the race slower than what I want to claim I could finish it in based on a training runs I've done.  I don't want an official time that's too slow Smile

Oh, and on a side note, I did a "5K" race while on vacation this summer that took 26:06... I forgot about that race... The problem was that it was 3.59 miles on my Garmin.

So, a secondary question would be... what if the distance isn't correct (too short), and you know it based on GPS or mapmyrun or.... 

Would you still claim it to be a PR for what the race was advertised as?

MTA: and yes, I understand that the race I'm referencing had the opposite problem...

GPS watchs are not as accurate as a wheel measured course.   Map my run is not as accurate as a wheel measured course.  If you want accurate courses run ones certified by the USATF.  Their procedures are outlined here http://www.usatf.org/events/courses/certification

As for PR's I set them when I run them on USATF certified courses, during a race I'm entered in.  If I run faster in training, then it just counts as training (BTW if you run faster in training, then you're either not racing or not training properly)

If it is a weird course, trails, huge hills, odd distance, then I just count that as a PR for that course.

zonykel

Just as I adjust my weight after I weigh myself (subtract 5 to 10 lbs for clothing), I also adjust my PRs. If it's too hot, too hilly, too windy, etc. I subtract a few minutes to my PR. Oh, and if I get injured during training and can't run the race, I look at the finishing times of those who were training with me. If their time is better than my PR, then I credit myself with the PR. After all, it's pretty clear I would have done as well if I hadn't gotten injured. :-)
                      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Just as I adjust my weight after I weigh myself (subtract 5 to 10 lbs for clothing), I also adjust my PRs. If it's too hot, too hilly, too windy, etc. I subtract a few minutes to my PR. Oh, and if I get injured during training and can't run the race, I look at the finishing times of those who were training with me. If their time is better than my PR, then I credit myself with the PR. After all, it's pretty clear I would have done as well if I hadn't gotten injured. :-)

Yeah, I like to take my best times from 20+ years ago, plug them into an age-grading calculator, and claim the output as my current masters PRs because hey, if I were actually seriously training instead of jogging a few miles a week, weighed 40 pounds less, and were running in ideal conditions, those calculated times are what I would be running.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Globule, you didn't account for the improvement you'd doubtless have achieved if you'd been seriously training all that time.  Best revise those recent PRs!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Chris UK

Apparently my recent 5k time of 19:42 gives me a an age graded time of 15:51. So I'll be claiming that as my PR then.

If only I could remember where I ran it! Wink

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Genius

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Sweet! I just BQ'd. Thanks for saving me all that time and effort.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?