running streak vs. 1/2 marathon training (Read 210 times)

Not an earth shattering question, but.....

I started my running streak on Thanksgiving 2014 and have run at least 1-2 miles daily since then. Last year I hit over 2000 miles.

After not participating in any official races for the past couple of years, I recently signed up for an online training program for a half marathon in May.  There are rest days planned into the program.

Am I going to screw up my training if I squeeze in a mile or two of ( low intensity) running on my "rest days"

I'm running on 54 yr old legs  - so I don't have youth on my side.

If I want to "race" the half in May am I best off following the plan and adhering to my official Rest Days?

I know the answer I want to hear

Thanks.

an amazing likeness

Am I going to screw up my training if I squeeze in a mile or two of ( low intensity) running on my "rest days"

No. Of course not. A light jog on your plan's rest day may actually help with recovery -- and most plans do want you to do something on rest days (core, elliptical, walk, swim, etc). "Rest day" doesn't mean bed rest. (g)

Now, if you're injured...it's a different story.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

what milktruck said     KEEP THAT STREAK ALIVE!!

Ojo

I am an older runner (51) and have been streaking over 4 years now.  I have run races from distances of a 5k - 100 miles.  Choose the distance for your rest day and stick to it.  Remember you only need to run 1 mile to keep it alive.  You also might consider running 1 mile the day after to rest your legs. 

Good luck!

Sara

MM #2929

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yep, anything 4 miles or less is a rest day for me.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I find running easier when I am running every day. My Mondays and Fridays that used to be rest days when I wasn't streaking are now 2 mile days, even when I'm training. I make sure they are easy days. It works for me. Like everything else with running, listen to your body.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it!

Feeling the growl again

1-2 miles on an "off" day to keep a streak alive?

Meh.

Back when I was actually a runner, and consistently 100-120 mpw, I forced myself to take every third Monday off.  Seriously, if I had jogged 1-2 miles on that day would it have had any impact on my training?  No.  It was more mental than anything.  But planning in a complete rest day with time to catch up on non-running stuff was refreshing to me.

I doubt you are running 100-120mpw.  Take your day to run 1-2 miles as "off" and carry on.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

What milktruck and skyedog said.

A streak is a powerful thing. If you want the best of both worlds, follow the plan and run only one mile on the plan's rest days. Behold: streak maintained *and* almost perfect plan compliance. Good luck!

BeeRunB

If keeping a streak going comes down to health vs. overtraining, injury, or lowered immunity,

choose the streak. 

mdolley

Funky kicks 2019

I am an older runner (51) and have been streaking over 4 years now.  

Willie O

In my book (running log) the streak always comes first. As several have already mentioned one mile keeps the streak alive.