Shoe Inserts? Good? Bad? Indifferent? (Read 1238 times)

So, I went to Raleigh yesterday and ran into a cool salesman and fellow runner at Champs who helped me pick out some new Asics running shoes. As I am a New Balance customer normally, this was a very exciting change for me and the shoes feel great. But then...he suggested I buy these 20.00 insoles...they are supposed to give extra support. I tried them in the shoe...but, my foot felt too high up in the shoe...what do you all think? Does anyone use them? Thanks in advance for your input!
    If you go as far as you can see, you will then see enough to go even farther. - John Wooden
    Wingz

Professional Noob

Hi, Norm. I use special in my shoes, but everyon'e foot is different. Smile If they felt "too high" in the shoe, it makes me wonder if you took the factory insole out first? For a full sized insole you'd do that, but if you're talking about something like heel lifts, then no, you wouldn't. And I can see how something like heel lifts would make your foot feel too high. Also, shoes differ so what makes one feel too high might make another feel just right. I live in Raleigh, but haven't heard of Champs. Where is it? Janell

Roads were made for journeys...

You'll ruin your knees!

I am leary of those who are always trying to get me to buy something to add to the product they just sold me! I would bet there is an incentive at Champs for selling inserts. If you bought the right shoes, you shouldn't need inserts. Champs, in my opinion, is a mass retailer, focused on selling as much merchandise as possible, not necessarily on matching their customers up with the right products. You may have a jewel of a sales person there, but I would put more faith in a running specialty store. My $.02...(again, somebody's makin' out on that deal...).. Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

JakeKnight

I am leary of those who are always trying to get me to buy something to add to the product they just sold me! I would bet there is an incentive at Champs for selling inserts. If you bought the right shoes, you shouldn't need inserts. Champs, in my opinion, is a mass retailer, focused on selling as much merchandise as possible, not necessarily on matching their customers up with the right products. You may have a jewel of a sales person there, but I would put more faith in a running specialty store. My $.02...(again, somebody's makin' out on that deal...).. Lynn B
          I'm with Lynn on all of the above. My very first thought when I read the original post was: "I wonder what kind of commission the salesperson is making on those insoles?" They're your feet. Use what works. That said, if you really think the guy is an expert, and you don't mind gambling with the 20 bucks ... you could try the insoles. I'd be careful not to go too far, especially if it feel strange ... but maybe you'd end up liking them. But in general, I'd think you should trust your gut. And your feet. And I share Lynn's assessment of Champs, in general.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

Hi Friends! Thanks for the great input!!! Wingz - the mall is the Crabtree Valley Mall - very nice! Has an Apple store...has to be good, right!?! :-) I will be heading to Raleigh alot now that I know how cool it is and how much there is to do...Greenville is nice...but, needy. jlynnbob and JakeKnight - thanks! I did not get the inserts and did 4 miles in the shoes yesterday...they felt great! By the way, I bought Asics Gel GT 2110....I was running in New Balance 476's...so, this is a huge step up for me. :-) But, I would love to find a specialty store in the area. I live in Greenville, NC now...so, I am still learning the area. Wingz - any good running stores that you know of in Raleigh? Well, thanks friends! Happy running!
            If you go as far as you can see, you will then see enough to go even farther. - John Wooden
            Wingz

Professional Noob

The only one I know in Raleigh is Raleigh Running Outfitters up in northern raleigh. I personally had a bad experience there and won't be returning, but I don't know of any other running specialty stores here. Sorry I can't be of more help.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Has an Apple store...has to be good, right!?! :-)
                That's my primary criteria (I'm one of a few fellow Mac users here...)! All I'm asking for for Christmas are Apple store gift cards...I want one of those red iPod Nanos! Big grin I agree with others on the insole thing--if the shoe is fine without them, then don't spend the extra $. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

A couple of years ago I would have agreed with the majority of replies regarding monetary incentive for the salesman. BUT, after a bout of shin splints resulting in switching to a good shoe AND inserts to be able to run without pain, I swear by them. A good pair of shoes helped, but it wasn't until I used the inserts also that the problem was fixed. I don't buy shoes without buying a new set of inserts anymore. Maybe its overkill and/or a waste of money, but it gives me piece of mind. Just my opinion..
                    I don't use inserts in running shoes, but need heel cups in my regular shoes to elevate my heel a bit (running shoes have the heel built up). I've been battling achiles tendonitis, but my calf muscles and achiles were usually sore after lots of walking, not running. Putting the heel cups in did the trick.
                      Regarding other specialty running stores in Raleigh... there is a Fleet Feet in Carrboro, NC (about 40 minutes west of Raleigh) which is awesome and very much worth the drive (especially if you spend get lunch in Chapel Hill afterwards!). My understanding is that in November or December of this year, they are expanding and opening a store in the North Raleigh area (and will serve some stiff competition to Running Outfitters). As soon as I find the exact location I will post the details.
                      Wingz

Professional Noob

I found Inside-Out-Sports at my HM last month. It looked like they had a small *shoe* collection, but there was a TM in the store so I'm guessing they let you try them out... Plus there was a lot of other nifty gear in there. I had to get out quick and thanked my lucky stars that I'd not had my wallet with me... Blush

Wingz

Professional Noob

modified: deleted duplicate post.

vicentefrijole

I am leary of those who are always trying to get me to buy something to add to the product they just sold me!
                            Hear-hear! Yes I've never used a special insole in my running shoes and I don't think I'm missing out. But like everything else, it's probably a matter of personal preference (and personal biomechanics). I did once go to an excellent shoe-clinic given by a running-specialty store owner who was being very honest (told us not to buy shoes just because they match a running outfit... sage advice. Wink) and he did make the point that the insoles that come with the shoes are completely non-functional, except for covering the stitching inside the shoe bottom and, thus, preventing rubbing etc. I remember he said that he couldn't comment on the importance of "special" insoles, as some people like them and some people don't. That said, I've had lots of friends who get "custom-made" orthotics from a podiatrist and seem very happy with them. If I recall, these were a big deal back when I was in high school and people were getting screened all the time for pronation/supernation issues. Of course, they also make a lot of shoes for these problems, so perhaps people can also deal with it that way? (I don't know... I've not had that problem, thank goodness.) Anyone here use these "custom-made" orthotics?