Favorite running quote (Read 3388 times)

I'm noboby, who are you?

One serious one that I give all my first time ultra runners but applies to shorter races - "find a pace that feels comfortable an then run SLOWER." 

If you have completed a proper taper, you will feel like a charged lion. Hold back and don't let he adrenalin take you out too fast or you will STB(shit the bed).  Unfortunately, most listen but don't heed and end up with a first time bas experience..

Why is it sideways?

"If you stare long enough into the abyss, the abyss stares back into you."
        But sometimes it was like floating, like sitting on top of a pair of legs that you didn't think would ever get tired or slow down. It was like the legs were yours and like they weren't. It was like being part animal, a running, flying animal. A horse, a bird. It was like feet kissing the pavement and effortless strides, the body along for the ride. It was like sitting in Ed's '67 Corvette, that monster engine gulping high-octane fuel and turning 6000 rpms, your foot ready to pop the clutch. Like freedom and invincibility. When we ran around corners, we were jets sweeping in formation.

Runners run

ymmv

Listen. Yeah, it's gonna hurt some. That's the marathon business.

But here's the thing. When it starts to get intense, that's not time to panic. This is what you wanted to happen. It means that all the training, all the miles, all the wakeups, all the cold, all the wet, all the sleep-deprived days and all the shit you've done to yourself over the last 6 plus months is finally about to pay off. It means you've put yourself where you wanted to be. You've given yourself an opportunity that very few will ever have. You've given yourself a chance.

Now finish it.
          gregw

Not sure it's my favorite running quote but I got a drinking glass at the Blue and Gray Half marathon that  has the quote "Relentless forward progress."  I think about that sometime when I'm running.
              Heh.

Runners run

Menace to Sobriety

Let's hit the f*&kin' road!

Frank Booth

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

xor

&kin.

He became Darth Vader, you know.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

&kin.

Ouch.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

plug_kev

Menace to Sobriety

&kin.

Booth scares me more than Vader.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

"Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize?  run in such a way that you may win."

II Corinthians 9:24

Of course this discourse goes on alittle further, & obviously more about living your life properly & not about running itself.

and how about this famous quote:  "run lots, mostly slow, sometimes fast"

DanMoriarity

What was the secret, they wanted to know. In a thousand diferent ways they wanted to know THE SECRET. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared, to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottom of his running shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials, how could they be expected to understand that?

John L. Parker from Once a Runner

Here are some more: www.squidoo.com/greatestrunningquotes

dorunrun

"Time to make the donuts"  ...used to use this as I sat on the edge of the bed contemplating the importance of the morning run.
                              ymmv

"Daddy, practice winning"

My daughter said this to me when she was 5. She asked me if I was going to win the Marine Corps Marathon, and I smiled and said "No". This was her reply.